Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 4th Oct 07, 2:42 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Cheap Car Hire: Slash £100s in hire and insurance costs
    • 4th Oct 07, 2:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap Car Hire: Slash £100s in hire and insurance costs 4th Oct 07 at 2:42 PM

This thread relates to the article

Click reply to discuss
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Oct 07, 4:43 PM
    • 18,106 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    richardw
    • 4th Oct 07, 4:43 PM
    • 4th Oct 07, 4:43 PM
    Don't forget a bit of www.quidco.com cashback, Insurance4carhire are now listed.
  • BenL
    • 5th Oct 07, 5:25 PM
    • 5th Oct 07, 5:25 PM
    I am looking at the moment for Nantes airport in April 08 and Hertz.co.uk have some good deals on the smaller cars. £65 for 3 days.

I checked the hertz.fr website and it comes out same car 220Euro - £160.

I would have though a french hirer would have got cheaper rates than a UK opposite side of the road driver.

Going direct to Hertz.co.uk is also about £1 cheaper than the Ryanair affiliation.

Oh yeah, Hertz is also on Quidco - £8

Ben
    Last edited by BenL; 05-10-2007 at 5:30 PM. Reason: quidco info
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • yaspop
    • 10th Oct 07, 6:59 AM
    thomson car hire
    • 10th Oct 07, 6:59 AM
    Don't forget thomson car hire http://www.thomson.co.uk/car-hire/car-hire.html I used it and it was a little cheaper than travelsupermarket, I think it has a bigger supplier comparison range as well.

Also (I know it's obvious - but it happens to the best of us ( ), don't forget to take the credit card you used to hire the car in the first place with you - you need it when you pick up the car (don't know why though).
  • BrookeDavis
    • 10th Oct 07, 8:30 AM
    Car Hire - fuel dilemma
    • 10th Oct 07, 8:30 AM
    One major problem over car hire costs is the policy on fuel. We tend to take short breaks and we try to avoid the hire companies who have a "pick up full, bring back empty" policy. Strange how much fuel they can get into a small car! and how incredibly expensive it is.
    Trouble is, it is often impossible to find out what the arrangements on fuel are until you have reached the full terms and conditions AFTER paying.
  • acwalters
    • 10th Oct 07, 10:39 AM
    American Express Gold Charge Card
    • 10th Oct 07, 10:39 AM
    If anyone has an American Express Gold Charge Card, you get free rental insurance, so you can refuse all the insurances offered by the rental company, including CDW. Also, other credit cards are starting to offer this, but check.

I think you have to pay an annual fee for the AMEX, but if you're a frequent traveller and/or have other uses for it, it is worth it. (e.g. if your flight is delayed 4 hours, they give you a couple of hundred pounds to spend on clothes etc.)

Not only this, but it is good for the whole family, so if your father/son/husband etc has one, it's good for you too. Check.

It's also worth getting a wizard number (like a frequent flier number) (free from Avis - other companies offer the same thing with a different name). Apart from the convinience, I am upgraded 8 times out of 10 because of this. It also knocks a massive 90% off the one way fee - from £110 down to £11, and in the USA, it removes the underage charge for under 25s (In New York, a $110 per day!!!!!)
  • sca
    • 10th Oct 07, 10:40 AM
    • 10th Oct 07, 10:40 AM
    I have checked Travelsupermarket, opodo etc. for Nimes in January. Fairly similar for 4 days (App £90). However CDW and DEW (new on me) are confusing. Does anyone do an all inclusive and no access policy?

Regards
    sca
  • Bazzablue
    • 10th Oct 07, 12:44 PM
    Car hire insurance - don't get riped off!!!
    • 10th Oct 07, 12:44 PM
    We went to Menorca recently and I hired a car through Hertz for a week at a cost of £89 but they wanted to charge me over £70 for CDW cover( which is how car hire companies make their money).
    I shopped around on the internet and took out car hire insurance with Worldwide Travel Insurance Services Ltd at a cost of £13.65 for the week.
    What happens is if you have an accident you would pay the excess (normally around £500-£600) to the car hire company and then you would claim the money back from the insurance company when you arrived home.
    While we were on holiday the car got a puncture which cost me £40 euros (£25) which I paid to Hertz to cover the cost.
    When I got home I contacted Worldwide Travel Insurance Services Ltd and asked if I could claim the money back for the tyre and they said YES, they then emailed me the claim form to fill in.
    It did take 2 weeks for the claim to be processed but I did get my £25 back ........insurance for £13.65 what a bargain.
    Also if you had taken the insurance out with Hertz if wouldn't have covered you for tyres....
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF BY CAR HIRE COMPANIES INSISTING YOU TAKE OUT THEIR INSURANCE
  • NeilK
    • 10th Oct 07, 4:20 PM
    • 10th Oct 07, 4:20 PM
    Hi, I have a question about hire car insurance. I will be renting a car in Italy for two weeks in November. Now I've never hired one in Europe, though I have in the USA. There they keep hire cost and insurance cost separate, and I saved a bundle by insuring through insurance4carhire.com. Now I've been told (by a mate!) that they don't do this in Europe, and insurance is included as standard in the price.

Firstly, is this true? If so, then...

Secondly, can it be worked around, i.e. could I pay for the hire cost but NOT the hire company's insurance (since I'm sure they're raking it in off that!), and use insurance4carhire instead? Just like I did in the USA.
  • tncm
    HI.
    I used to work for a car hire company so thought i'd post some tips.

If you book a car, and you would like a slightly bigger one, ask at the desk, most of the time there are upgrade cars available at a good price, but you must haggle!! the agent normally gets around 10% of the price he gives it too you, so he will always go high first. and be carefull when the agent says "Total price", it really means "extra per day".

Always check the price at the desk, the agent gets "points" for what he sells sometimes you may see youre paying for "personal insurance" when you havnt asked for it. you would not believe how many people are in a hurry and dont check.
    when they return? too late! theyve signed the contract!

Always check for damage before you leave, no matter how minor! yep, incentive for the agent again!

hope this helps
  • tncm
    Neilk

hi. you can do it that way, depending on who you are with . you have to shop around really and check what you are covered for.

HolidayAutos are great. basic insurance is included and to waiver the excess is really cheap.

ryanair/easy jet have good price with their partners hertz/europecar with insurance included, you can get it without and use an indepedent one which quite a lot of people are doing now, but if you damage the car you will get charged and then have to claim back through the insurace company, which can be a hassel.
  • tncm
    yaspop,

you need a credit card when you pick the car up , for secuity and a fuel deposit so the comany can charge you 2 tanks of fuel on return if you dont refuel it.
  • JJ13
    Please note CarJet don't just cover Spain, Portugal & UK. (54 countries according to their website!) We have used them several times: they always come out cheaper than travelsupermarket, Holiday Autos or any of the airline affiliates and the service is impeccable.
    • withabix
    • By withabix 10th Oct 07, 7:14 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Try joining BA Executive Club:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/execenrol/public/en_gb

Then, when you've got your membership number, go to www.avisba.com

When you book a hire car you will get:

a) Special Avis British Airways afiliate rate
    b) A FREE UPGRADE to the next car grade (if available at your hire location)
    c) Currently a chance to win 50,000 BA Miles
    d) BA Miles with your booking
    Last edited by withabix; 10-10-2007 at 7:17 PM.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • hansol
    We've had two bad experiences hiring cars, one from Enterprise where we paid for a 1.6 car (the altered key fob confirmed this) only to find, after a long and tedious journey and searching through the car that it was actually a 1.4. The manager said it was human error.
    The second was through Carhire 3000 (internet) where we paid extra for the super excess waiver cover only to be told by Avis in France that they did not recognise it and that we would only have the same cover if we paid extra for theirs. Fortunately we used the card to pay and it was only with trading standards help that we got our money back from Avis.
    • koru
    • By koru 11th Oct 07, 3:10 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    koru
    The Capital 1 cashback card (the one with 4% cashback for 1st 3 months) gives free insurance for the excess on your car hire insurance.

Airline Network gives you a free option which adds in insurance, additional drivers and a tank of petrol. The CDW has zero excess. Even though TravelSupermarket listed other companies that were ostensibly £20 cheaper, this was by far the cheapest after adding on the cost of these extras. Not sure if the same offer applies to every Airline Network rental - mine was in Denver, Colorado.

Edit: With car seats, it is often cheaper to buy out there, rather than pay someting like $10 per day to hire. Plus, the hire ones are usually dirty and may not be suitable. Obviously, cheaper still to take with you, but not if you have to pay extra on, say, Ryan Air, or if you have too much luggage to handle. In Florida and Colorado, car seats are not compulsory for age 6 and over.
    Last edited by koru; 11-10-2007 at 3:15 PM.
    koru
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Oct 07, 3:42 PM
    • 18,106 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    richardw
    I'd read all the small print with the capital 1 insurance and make sure you understand it all.
    • thebigbosh
    • By thebigbosh 12th Oct 07, 12:12 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    thebigbosh
    I read this article yesterday because I'm looking to rent a car in Florida over Xmas. Unfortunate thing is I'm 24 (6 months away from WAY much easier!) and so most of the companies screw us with at least $25 extra per day.

So I looked at Transhire (listed on the website) but *they* don't actually waive the surcharge. They only offer the Budget under 25 package, but this is about $600 a week! The best I've found so far is www.uscarhire.co.uk that offers a deal through U-Save but I'm not sure of the site's legitimacy. Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks

B
  • acwalters
    I read this article yesterday because I'm looking to rent a car in Florida over Xmas. Unfortunate thing is I'm 24 (6 months away from WAY much easier!) and so most of the companies screw us with at least $25 extra per day.

So I looked at Transhire (listed on the website) but *they* don't actually waive the surcharge. They only offer the Budget under 25 package, but this is about $600 a week! The best I've found so far is www.uscarhire.co.uk that offers a deal through U-Save but I'm not sure of the site's legitimacy. Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks

B
    Originally posted by thebigbosh
    If you can get hold of an Avis AWD (corporate) number, then the underage fee is waived in most US states. (in NY from 18yrs, and most other places 21yrs).

If you really can't get hold of one, PM me, and I may be able to help. (PS Search the web for AirMiles clubs - I know that BA has an Avis AWD number, but I'm not sure if it waives the underage fee - not all do)

Good luck
  • d_forway
    U-Save
    I live in Fl, USA and my cousin used U-Save when he came to visit me in Feb. They were great and gave him a free upgrade too. We would totally recommend them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin