IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mouldy shower curtain
Views: 83,115
# 1
chaliepud
Old 25-06-2005, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Mouldy shower curtain

What is the best way to get mould/mildew off a shower curtain? Washing in the machine isn't working, I don't want to replace as the design that matches everything else has been disc.

Thanks

H

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 05-03-2013 at 1:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Ticklemouse
Old 25-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Try soaking it in the bath with some bio washing powder. Leave it as long as you can. If any bits of mould are trapped in the hems and seams, you can scrub at them with a nail brush or old toothbrush.

If you do want to put it in the machine (after doing the above) then put a towel in with it. The towel will help to agitate the dirt off. Don't forget vinegar in the final rinse too. This will help deodourise it and kill any bugs/mould spores etc.

HTH
TM
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ticklemouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
thirty_dancing
Old 26-06-2005, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I used a product called Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover (cost a pound from my local cheapie shop). It rescued my shower curtain (which was revolting) and cleaned up my grouting which had become discoloured as DD loves to dye her hair.

It took about two weeks for my shower curtain to transform from truly disgusting to looking brand new and now I just have to spray once a week.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to thirty_dancing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Queenie
Old 26-06-2005, 11:16 AM

I 2nd Ticklemouse's method using bio wash powder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Mumstheword
Old 26-06-2005, 11:53 AM

I use dettox mould & mildew, in the green bottle, for the shower. Two uses brought my tiles, grout, base up like new.
Don't know how well it will do on fabric - you'd have to do a test in a hidden area!
Don't know how well it will do in my shower any more as I've just discovered DH has used it to clean the kitchen floor. hmph!!
*** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumstheword For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
RachelD
Old 26-06-2005, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I reckon I have tried most things to get rid of mould on shower curtains and nothing works for long - mostly because rest of family refuse to clean said curtain.

I bought some pretty voile, sewed it the same length and width as a shower curtain. Bought some plain PVC shower curtain (Asda currently have white at 89p and Wilko has them in cream at 2.75 or thereabouts). I then tack the voile and PVC curtain together - you can use the tacking stitch on your nachine. Hand tacking is OK - it just has to easy to remove . Then hang as usual. When inner curtain becomes grotty, I just untack, wash the voile and re- tack a new inner curtain.

In true OS fashion I do wash all these discarded PVC curtains and use them as floor protection when painting.

Rachel
if i had known then what i know now
The Following User Says Thank You to RachelD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
chickadee
Old 26-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sometimes it is just the bottom hem that is discoloured. If all other attempts to remove the satin fail, just trim the curtain so it is a bit shorter, say an inch or so and re-hem it. I tried this on mine and it came up like new. I had to lower the rail a bit though, but as mine is just a spring-loaded rail this was no problem!
NSK; April Showers! - No 24
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chickadee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
idiot
Old 27-06-2005, 9:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

mix a weak solution of bleach and water. spray it on, then wipe off. nothing kills mould like bleach.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idiot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
AlisonW
Old 09-08-2006, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default mouldy shower curtains

I'm sure there is information about this on the forum but I keep being distracted by organic hair dye and chocolate beetroot muffins and such like.
I need to get rid of the mildew build up on the bottom of my fabric shower curtains. Ive tried washing them and spraying them with bleach solution but to no avail.
Thanks
Alie
The Following User Says Thank You to AlisonW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
thriftlady
Old 09-08-2006, 5:32 PM

Mine usually cleans up well if I wash it with a couple of capfuls of bleach.

The best way is to keep on top of it before it gets really bad. Also leave the curtain drawn out so that it dries well - something my OH cannot get his head round at all:confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Pink.
Old 09-08-2006, 5:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi Alison,

We have an older thread on the same subject, so I have merged yours with it so that we can keep all the suggestions together. As always posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
DonnaP
Old 31-07-2007, 4:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Mouldy shower curtain

Can anyone tell me how to remove mould from a shower curtain?

I have tried washing it and it has made no difference whatsoever! :rolleyes:

Thanks
# 13
Pink.
Old 31-07-2007, 4:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi Donna,

The replies on this older thread might help:

Mouldy shower curtain

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
MissMotivation
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Cleaning a shower curtain?

In a small attempt to save money (normally I would just go out an buy a new one) I need to clean my shower curtain, it's started to look a bit mildewy at the bottom. It's just an ordinary plastic curtain with a nice pattern on it, am I ok to soak it in the bath with some water and bleach? Or is there a better way to do it?
My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say
Ignore......check!
The Following User Says Thank You to MissMotivation For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Waxy Bean
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've already put plastic ones and plastic covered fabric ones straight in the washing machine on a non-rinse cycles with normal detergent. Its always worked for me....
2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, 25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, 250
The Following User Says Thank You to Waxy Bean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
nopot2pin
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy Bean View Post
I've already put plastic ones and plastic covered fabric ones straight in the washing machine on a non-rinse cycles with normal detergent. Its always worked for me....
Put a towel in the wash if you do it in the machine machie. The abrasiveness of the towel helps clean it better
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nopot2pin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
MissMotivation
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks......would never have thought to put it in the washing machine!
My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say
Ignore......check!
The Following User Says Thank You to MissMotivation For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
whitevanwoman
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Soaking it in soda crystals is a more eco-friendly option than bleach, just as good and no nasty after-smell. You can add the soda crystals to your bath water (when you've got out of your bath!) and leave it overnight. I put mine in the washing machine with soda crystals instead of washing powder and vinegar instead of conditioner. Works a treat. Putting a towel is in a good idea - will do that next time.
The independent woman's checklist for success :
1. Look like a lady, 2. Act like a man, 3. Work like a dog
Life instructions : 1. Breathe in, 2. Breathe out, 3. Repeat ad infinitum
2008 - 4k challenge member 063 gave up halfway thru, not sure I even earned that much, so probably achieved it :confused:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whitevanwoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
kendalls cave
Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I always put mine in the machine too
2 coins = 2.00
The Following User Says Thank You to kendalls cave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
belfastgirl23
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

If it's a slippery shower curtain it's a good idea to put it in with a few towels, the roughness of the towels rubs against it and gives a better wash. I was also advised to soak the curtain in the bath with the cheapest biological washing powder you can get and that helped. Finally vinegar in the rinse water apparently inhibits bacteria regrowth.
Thinking about it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>