MSE News: Card protection mis-selling: Are you due share of £1.3 billion?

Options
"13 high street banks and credit card companies have agreed to offer redress for mis-sold card and ID theft protection..."
Read the full story:

Card protection mis-selling: Are you due share of £1.3 billion?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• saras_2
    saras_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    The news article is really helpful, but it is important to flag that the payouts won't start coming through until next spring because the legal process involves policy holders having to vote on the scheme first.

The most important thing though is people wont need to use claims management companies because it's likely to be very easy!
  • iblametheparents
    Options
    What's the situation if you have/had Cardholder Protection on a fee paying bank acount?
  • neil_d_3
    Options
    I was sold a CPP policy for identity theft through Barclaycard back in about 1995, which was provided by Sentinel. I have continued paying this every year since. Sentinel were not mentioned in your main article as a mis-selling company. Will I receive a letter from Barclaycard or Sentinel or neither? Thanks
  • RustyPots
    RustyPots Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    About time!
    I had a Tesco CC with this on, I have previously argued this was not requested or wanted (I thought it was PPI) however they wouldn't refund.

Am I correct in thinking that I will received notification through the post if I am eligible for a refund? Also I don't have any paperwork now, as I no longer have the card I got rid of the statements will this be a problem?
  • fmurphy1970
    Options
    I currently have CPP insurance and is due to be renewed soon. I wanted to cancel my renewal when I first heard about the mis-selling and realised I didn't need it. Will I invalidate a possible future claim if I cancel now?
  • saras_2
    saras_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Neil-d the scheme only applies to CPP policies so I'm afraid Sentinel customers are not included.

RustyPots, according to the news releases letters will be issued to those included in the refund pot starting on the 29th August. As there are up to 7 million people being contacted I would imagine the letters may take a few weeks to deliver!
  • Magicmerly
    Options
    I'll echo iblametheparents's thoughts.

What about products as part of a fee paying account, i.e Lloyds TSB Premier account, sentinel card protection and ID aware are part of this account.
  • Offworld
    Offworld Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2013 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Nationwide recommended the CPP policy to me when I opened an account with them in 2007.

I did raise questions with Nationwide/CPP at the time - but the person on the phone specifically told me that CPP were the company providing lost card & fraud protection on behalf of Nationwide.

So therefore I was led to believe that the payments were required 'just in case'.

I heard about the possible mis-selling of CPP policies from Martin Lewis on Radio 5 Live at the start of this year. I wrote to both CPP & Nationwide. They wrote back (without any delay) and, in a very detailed letter, they explained why they did not believe my claim was valid - no refund.

I was not very pleased with the outcome but rather than challenge it I thought I would wait until more information came out about CPP and I wanted to see if other claimants were being rejected too.

However, I heard CPP mentioned on the news this morning (Thurs 22 Aug) and that letters would be sent out to all those who bought policies.

The postman arrived - and a letter from Nationwide (now that was quick!). They have reviewed my original complaint and reversed the decision. The letter has an offer of all my payments (with the 8% interest) to be refunded. I have to complete a simple form and take it into my nearest branch.

Conclusion : Thank you Nationwide. I've been a happy customer since 2007 and you've just made me an even happier customer.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2013 at 9:40PM
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious how so many millions of people keep getting "missold" things. While I don't doubt some staff lie during the application process, do none of these people actually read the contract? Or is the misselling part because they weren't given a contract? The reasons listed on the article for why it was missold seem pretty tame to me.
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2013 at 11:28PM
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious how so many millions of people keep getting "missold" things. While I don't doubt some staff lie during the application process, do none of these people actually read the contract? Or is the misselling part because they weren't given a contract? The reasons listed on the article for why it was missold seem pretty tame to me.

With most of CPP's policies, the protection offered no more than the protection given by law by the bank. It was in effect a useless policy, but many people were led into thinking that it was needed, with scare stories given during the sales process. It actually protected the bank, both saving them money and making them some commission at the same time (which is why the banks are also paying out). Some of the policies were sold by an 'activation' sticker on a card. The reality is that the card did not need to be activated and the calls were actually answered by CPP staff, but getting the customer to sign up under that condition put them in a position where they were under pressure. The FCA have deemed that most of these policies were therefore mis-sold as the sales practice was not in the customers interests.

It's the same with PPI - there were many situations where the way in which it was sold was unfair on the customer - opt out boxes instead of opt in, online applications that wouldn't progress without selecting PPI, the sticker on the card trick as above, not listing medical conditions/employment situations where someone wouldn't be covered, or sales scripts that were obviously hard selling instead of letting the customer decide on the purchase.

There are unfortunately a few people who made a conscious decision to purchase who would have been covered, where they feel that having insurance policies that are part of a mis-selling campaign entitles them to a payout. Sadly, people like this are often led on by the countless adverts and spam calls from claims companies which seem to paint the whole situation in this light and claims management companies that hard sell their services.
    Competition wins:
    2010 - approx £450. 2011 - approx £800. 2012 - approx £300. 2013 - nothing so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure