Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • surreyboy84
    • 30th Jul 13, 9:22 PM
    Thomson
    • 30th Jul 13, 9:22 PM
    I submitted a claim in January for me and three relatives for a 6 hour delay we had in October 2012 on a long haul flight from Cuba. I chased it up in April after a half hour wait on the phone and was told they had a backlog and I should hear something within a couple of weeks. A month later I'd heard nothing so I sent an email but didn't get a reply. I sent another email and still didn't get a reply. I made a complaint to the CAA in June but they said they are very busy too. Sent an email to the CAA today to chase things up and awaiting a response.
    Last edited by surreyboy84; 30-07-2013 at 9:23 PM. Reason: typo
    • SingingDwarf
    • By SingingDwarf 30th Jul 13, 9:25 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    SingingDwarf
    • 30th Jul 13, 9:25 PM
    • 30th Jul 13, 9:25 PM
    I have been trying, without success, to get compensation from Malaysia Airlines for a 12hr delay in 2006.

The CAA supported my case some years ago and asked Malayisa to pay compensation as per the Directive. Malaysia refused, due to the stay of cases in the UK, pending the appeal to ECJ by the airlines.

The six year statutory limitation has now passed, so I cannot now chase my claim in the UK courts, although according to the CAA, I have a good case.

I guess I should have lodged my claim with the court whilst the stay was in place, in order to 'stake my place' in the queue. Unfortunately, I was naive and didn't do this - but have now lost out.
    Last edited by SingingDwarf; 31-07-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    • dxc_chappie
    • By dxc_chappie 30th Jul 13, 11:47 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    dxc_chappie
    • 30th Jul 13, 11:47 PM
    • 30th Jul 13, 11:47 PM
    I submitted a claim in January for me and three relatives for a 6 hour delay we had in October 2012 on a long haul flight from Cuba. I chased it up in April after a half hour wait on the phone and was told they had a backlog and I should hear something within a couple of weeks. A month later I'd heard nothing so I sent an email but didn't get a reply. I sent another email and still didn't get a reply. I made a complaint to the CAA in June but they said they are very busy too. Sent an email to the CAA today to chase things up and awaiting a response.
    Originally posted by surreyboy84
    Search this forum and you will see how useless the CAA are. There is a dedicated thread for Thomson where you will find more information in the faqs on the first page. Basically you have three choices:
    1. Determine you own timescale by issuing a NBA
    2. Use a no win no fee company
    3. Walk away.

If you do get a reply it will most likely be the excuse of 'extraordinary circumstances' so see the faqs for what to do next.
  • surreyboy84
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:19 AM
    Thomson
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:19 AM
    Thanks for your reply. What is an NBA? We were told it was a technical fault with the aircraft at London Gatwick and they had to fly another aircraft down to Gatwick from Manchester before picking us up from Cuba.
    • dxc_chappie
    • By dxc_chappie 31st Jul 13, 7:55 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    dxc_chappie
    • 31st Jul 13, 7:55 AM
    • 31st Jul 13, 7:55 AM
    Thanks for your reply. What is an NBA? We were told it was a technical fault with the aircraft at London Gatwick and they had to fly another aircraft down to Gatwick from Manchester before picking us up from Cuba.
    Originally posted by surreyboy84
    NBA = notice before action
    See the faqs for more information.
  • friendofbillw2
    • 31st Jul 13, 11:49 AM
    • 31st Jul 13, 11:49 AM
    The link in the OP takes me to a list of things I nicked from a hotel room???

Given that I know airline spies are are watching, I'm not going to answer that poll as Monarch might use my answers to character assassinate me and discredit my evidence in our upcoming courtroom duel. Sorry.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 31st Jul 13, 12:12 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Vauban
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:12 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:12 PM
    The link in the OP takes me to a list of things I nicked from a hotel room???

Given that I know airline spies are are watching, I'm not going to answer that poll as Monarch might use my answers to character assassinate me and discredit my evidence in our upcoming courtroom duel. Sorry.
    Originally posted by friendofbillw2
    Who would take a TV? And how?
  • Iberia_query
    • 31st Jul 13, 3:40 PM
    Issue with Iberia claims
    • 31st Jul 13, 3:40 PM
    I have been chasing Iberia since January 2012 for a 28 hours delay caused by a technical fault on the incoming plane which they say is outside of the EU regulations as they needed to make the repair for safety reasons. Seeing today's news letter I think I have more info to contest this claim.
    What I would like help on is any address people may have for writing to Iberia. They say all complaints must be made via their web site, however, finding the complaints section is hard, plus the complaints section times regularly has "Technical problems" which makes it crash when trying to deliver any message, or it times out during the time you take to enter the claim etc.or it reverts to a display only in Spanish. Any help really appreciated.
  • monty6667
    i was delayed for 3 1/2 hours by easyjet from bodrum to liverpool birds flew into the engine they offered no food or drink i had to by my own can i claim
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 31st Jul 13, 8:15 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    111KAB
    i was delayed for 3 1/2 hours by easyjet from bodrum to liverpool birds flew into the engine they offered no food or drink i had to by my own can i claim
    Originally posted by monty6667
    You should be on Easyjet thread but with the sketchy information provided there is a good chance you can claim.
  • friendofbillw2
    Who would take a TV? And how?
    Originally posted by Vauban
    For future reference Vauban, these days most Central London hotels provide transvestites on the room service menu.

As for how you 'take' them, I'll leave that entirely to your imagination.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 1st Aug 13, 7:14 AM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Vauban
    For future reference Vauban, these days most Central London hotels provide transvestites on the room service menu.

As for how you 'take' them, I'll leave that entirely to your imagination.
    Originally posted by friendofbillw2
    You are a dirty, dirty boy.
    • Star9272
    • By Star9272 6th Aug 13, 11:25 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Star9272
    I'm making a claim against Monarch & Thomas Cook. According to the poll so far, claimants against Monarch have only won 18% as opposed to claimants against TC who have won 38%. I having a wobbly moment.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 6th Aug 13, 11:41 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Vauban
    I cannot see the poll now, but I am certain it did not say that 82% of people had lost their claims against Monarch. Court success stats are currently running at about 90%. Are you sure it want that 80% of claimants have been refused compensation by Monarch - which would be v credible!
    • Star9272
    • By Star9272 6th Aug 13, 11:49 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Star9272
    I cannot see the poll now, but I am certain it did not say that 82% of people had lost their claims against Monarch. Court success stats are currently running at about 90%. Are you sure it want that 80% of claimants have been refused compensation by Monarch - which would be v credible!
    49% are ongoing
    33% lost
    18% won

Have I read it wrong?
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 6th Aug 13, 11:59 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Vauban
    49% are ongoing
    33% lost
    18% won

Have I read it wrong?
    Originally posted by Star9272
    "Lost" presumably includes those claims made, refused by the airline, and the claimant walking away? Or are they in another category?
    • Star9272
    • By Star9272 7th Aug 13, 12:04 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Star9272
    "Lost" presumably includes those claims made, refused by the airline, and the claimant walking away? Or are they in another category?

Monarch (334 votes)
    I won - the airline just paid up 40 votes (12%)
    I won - but I had to fight (eg, appealed to the CAA/other body) 19 votes (6%)
    I lost Ė but I didnít appeal to the CAA/other body 99 votes (30%)
    I lost - after appeal to the CAA/other body 12 votes (4%)
    Itís still ongoing 164 votes (49%)

Maybe the winners haven't voted as they don't need to view the forum??????
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 7th Aug 13, 12:11 AM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Vauban
    Monarch (334 votes)
    I won - the airline just paid up 40 votes (12%)
    I won - but I had to fight (eg, appealed to the CAA/other body) 19 votes (6%)
    I lost Ė but I didnít appeal to the CAA/other body 99 votes (30%)
    I lost - after appeal to the CAA/other body 12 votes (4%)
    Itís still ongoing 164 votes (49%)

Maybe the winners haven't voted as they don't need to view the forum??????
    Originally posted by Star9272
    So of the 34% who "lost", 30% were refused by Monarch and then didn't appeal - either to the CAA or to a court. I'm surprised it's not higher to be honest, as the airline seem to refuse payment as a matter of course. 49% ongoing is v high - I wonder if that's CAA or court (the former, I suspect).
    • Star9272
    • By Star9272 7th Aug 13, 12:20 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Star9272
    I cannot see the poll now, but I am certain it did not say that 82% of people had lost their claims against Monarch. Court success stats are currently running at about 90%.
    How can I view court successes is it easy?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

2,535Users online

Martin's Twitter