Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Dogger69
    • 20th Apr 13, 8:31 PM
    • 20th Apr 13, 8:31 PM
    You are not looking at the NHS website. The correct one is here:

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do
    • OldGreyFox
    • By OldGreyFox 20th Apr 13, 8:55 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    OldGreyFox
    • 20th Apr 13, 8:55 PM
    • 20th Apr 13, 8:55 PM
    I thought the EHIC card was free but on NHS website they wanted 19.99 for admin.
    Originally posted by annie-w
    No doubt your looking at some other site. Heres the NHS one with very clear instructions etc.

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx
  • annie-w
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:03 AM
    ehic
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:03 AM
    [QUOTE=OldGreyFox;60781723]No doubt your looking at some other site. Heres the NHS one with very clear instructions etc.

Thank you very much, however as I am BRITISH not English I got it from NHS UK. Not NHS England. Please do not assume all Brits are English.
    • withabix
    • By withabix 21st Apr 13, 8:05 AM
    • 8,961 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:05 AM
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:05 AM
    [QUOTE=annie-w;60787007]
    No doubt your looking at some other site. Heres the NHS one with very clear instructions etc.

Thank you very much, however as I am BRITISH not English I got it from NHS UK. Not NHS England. Please do not assume all Brits are English.
    Originally posted by OldGreyFox

No, you were looking at a scam website which wasn't anything to do with NHS.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
    • fermi
    • By fermi 21st Apr 13, 8:12 AM
    • 38,258 Posts
    • 46,069 Thanks
    fermi
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:12 AM
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:12 AM
    Yep, you've been scammed.

http://www.ehic.org.uk/

Is there a charge for an EHIC?

You can apply for the card free of charge via the official EHIC online application form. Other unofficial websites may charge you if you apply through them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • fermi
    • By fermi 21st Apr 13, 8:21 AM
    • 38,258 Posts
    • 46,069 Thanks
    fermi
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:21 AM
    • 21st Apr 13, 8:21 AM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card#paid

Money back if you've paid?

Sadly, far too many are caught out through Googling "EHIC" and end up paying through an unofficial site.

If this has happened to you, it's unlikely you'll be able to get your money back. However, it's worth contacting the site straight away and asking for a full refund, just in case.

This won't always work, but it's worth a shot - one MoneySaver who paid for his EHIC via an unofficial website found its terms allowed refunds within 30 days, so used this to get his money back (see the MSE News story). This won't be in all sites' terms, but if it's happened to you, do give it a go and let us know how you get on in the Free EHIC discussion.

The OFT has told us that while it isn't unlawful to charge for a reviewing and forwarding service, tricking consumers into spending on unwanted services is. If you're concerned about an unofficial EHIC website, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 08454 04 05 06. See the OFT website for more info.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st Apr 13, 3:50 PM
    • 25,577 Posts
    • 16,220 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 21st Apr 13, 3:50 PM
    • 21st Apr 13, 3:50 PM
    [QUOTE=annie-w;60787007]

Originally posted by OldGreyFox
    As you are British you can apply for the correct EHIC.
    Je Suis Charlie
  • Wywth
    • 22nd Apr 13, 1:12 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 1:12 PM
    Originally posted by annie-w
    If you are looking at a website that charges £19.99 admin fee for an EHIC, then allow me to assume you are looking at a scam website

As Martin quite rightly says, there is no charge to obtain one direct from the NHS (and there's no "fast track" method, etc either, available elsewhere)

http://www.nhs.uk/ehic

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 1st May 13, 11:55 AM
    • 7,468 Posts
    • 19,096 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

There's more info on getting your EHIC free in our Free EHIC Card guide

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,563Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On @bbc5live now there is a story that horses can read human emotions. Personally I'm a neigh sayer.

• RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• Follow Martin