Real-life MMD: Should I stop using my ex-housemate's Netflix account?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 26 March 2013 at 5:22PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I stop using my ex-housemate's Netflix account?

My housemate used to watch films via his Netflix account using my Xbox, without asking. It was annoying, but I didn’t say anything and he has since moved out. However, when I went to use my Xbox again after he’d left, he was still logged in. I’ll admit I’ve watched a few films on his account, but as it’s obviously not affecting him in any way and as he used my Xbox for it, I don’t feel it’s totally wrong. Should I carry on using it?

Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Got a MMD suggestion? [EMAIL="mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Email us[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs:

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Sorry, well not actually sorry, but in answer to your question, yes stop watching movies on his account. The next bit would be difficult to say to him without leaving yourself open to him knowing you had been watching stuff on his account but if he leaves his netflix account logged on there is a strong chance that he will also be leaving other stuff logged on which could leave him seriously out of pocket. It is his responsibility at the end of the day to be safe online but if you found he had been ripped off how would you feel?
    Debt of £6300 cleared in 5 years, now ZERO
  • samhale
    samhale Posts: 413 Forumite
    Watch his Netflix for as long as he's paying for it - if he doesn't want you to use it, he can deactivate the device from his account on there.
    It isn't costing him any more.
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    Sorry, well not actually sorry, but in answer to your question, yes stop watching movies on his account. The next bit would be difficult to say to him without leaving yourself open to him knowing you had been watching stuff on his account but if he leaves his netflix account logged on there is a strong chance that he will also be leaving other stuff logged on which could leave him seriously out of pocket. It is his responsibility at the end of the day to be safe online but if you found he had been ripped off how would you feel?

If he still uses Netflix himself, then he'll already know or will soon find out.

Netflix shows you a list of your 'recently watched' items, and makes suggestions for new things to watch based on your viewing habits.

It'll be very clear to him that someone's been using his account, when shows he's not watched are showing as the most recently viewed. Hopefully, that'll make him change his password.
  • Assuming this is a serious question, I can't really see what the problem is.

Your housemate used your Xbox without your permission. He's left, and hasn't bothered to close his account or even look at the statements he's getting regularly.

The responsibility for telling suppliers he's moved was his, not yours. In your shoes, I'd take advantage of his carelessness and watch what you want at his expense. Then, when and if he finds out, you can have the pleasure of telling him that was fair exchange for the use of your box.
  • I was on the opposite end of this scenario: I traded in my Nintendo Wii to Game, forgetting to wipe my data, and left Netflix logged in.

I didn't use Netflix too much at the time, so when I turned on Netflix one day to see my Recently Viewed Items included Thomas and Friends and other kids TV shows, I was perplexed! I'm a 27 year old man with no kids. I did momentarily suspect my other half may have been watching cartoons behind my back (I mean, she could at least involve me, surely?) but instead I called Netflix to get to the bottom of it.

The guy at Netflix customer services, in his friendly American manner, was so incredibly troubled to hear my account had been used by someone outside of my household, but suggested that he deactivate all devices from my Netflix account to stop this mystery person from logging in. He also mentioned that the majority of my recent viewing history came from a Nintendo Wii. Ah, that'll be the console that I traded in.

Anyway, it didn't affect me in any way other than to cause a little confusion, but he will know that you're using his account and he can remotely deactivate you by calling Netflix if he so desires.

It's up to you whether you carry on using the service, but I can't imagine there'll be any real repercussions if you do so!

It may be worth noting that I now feel slightly guilty for depriving the new owner of my Nintendo Wii, and indeed their children, the use of my Netflix account. It wasn't causing me any harm!!
  • watching free, instant, streamed films is fine I would say, who could be upset with that? if netflix is like lovefilm, then ordering dvds or other things, which would be charged to the account a definite no way - 2 wrongs don't make a right etc!
  • bionda
    bionda Posts: 13 Forumite
    Two wrongs don't make a right. You obviously feel guilty or you wouldn't have brought this up. Every time you watch a film, you will feel something......better make a clean break! You will feel better and you will stop being reminded of your ex-flat mates annoying habit.
    Good luck!
  • A pretty weak "Money Moral Dilemma" this week, Martin.

Presumably, he'll cancel the subscription, or transfer it, at some stage. Watch away. Not a big deal.
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,212
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    He'll find out, so why not just ask him first?
  • He probably knows, on Netflix one of the first things that come up are 'recently watched' - and he will see this too.

If you've been doing it for quite a while I would stop now, it's not very fair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure