MSE News: Apple UK urged to refund kids' iPad and iPhone app cash

"MSE is calling for Apple UK customers to be compensated by iTunes, after it was revealed US users may get money back..."
Read the full story:

Apple UK urged to refund kids' iPad and iPhone app cash

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• AAAAA
    AAAAA Posts: 272 Forumite
    From the article "occasions, kids simply remember their parents' password, which is the only security hurdle to overcome to make a purchase."

So parents let there children know there password.The kids then purchase s*** loads of virtual goods,while the parents aren't watching them.Then the parents have the BALLS to expect a refund.Priceless.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • I really don't think that refunds should be issued - if a child is not old enough to understand the phone/tablet, then they shouldn't be using it!
  • Again, its not the phone companies fault in the slightest.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • It's shocking and really the parents who let this happen might need to have a re-think about giving children passwords.

Expecting a refund from apple is a joke!
    Maybe apple should just suspend their iTunes accounts until they can learn how to manage the password properly.

Another sensible option would to remove the credit card from the iTunes account and use iTunes top up cards instead. At least this would limit the spending to whatever is left topped up on the account.
  • rockin_plumber
    rockin_plumber Posts: 689 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2013 at 8:57PM
    Again, its not the phone companies fault in the slightest.

It's easy enough to set up the settings so it asks for a password each time.
    If parents are stupid enough to let children see the password then how can that be the phone companies fault?

If I have misinterpreted your post the wrong way then I apologise... I initially thought you were blaming the phone company but now I'm not so sure....
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,620
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I remembered my password and bought things I shouldn't have. Can I also have a refund?:rotfl::rotfl:
    ====
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What they can demand is a monthly spend limit, which triggers texts or e-mail warnings.

Alternatively, some kind of Pay As you Go tariff, so you have to pay by credit/debit card separately.
  • Pincher wrote: »
    What they can demand is a monthly spend limit, which triggers texts or e-mail warnings.

Alternatively, some kind of Pay As you Go tariff, so you have to pay by credit/debit card separately.

That's what an iTunes card is you buy a £15 card.... Add it to the account remove the credit card.. Simple... Can't spend more than £15

There are normally deals on them... We just got three £10 iTunes cards from Tesco for £25
  • It's easy enough to set up the settings so it asks for a password each time.
    If parents are stupid enough to let children see the password then how can that be the phone companies fault?

If I have misinterpreted your post the wrong way then I apologise... I initially thought you were blaming the phone company but now I'm not so sure....

You have, I totally disagree with MSE on this one. Its the parents responsibility to look after their money and make sure anything they give their kids isn't going to cost them more money than they expect.

You can hardly blame a phone company for allowing your kid to know your password :)
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • You have, I totally disagree with MSE on this one...

My bad :o

I feel a bit better about getting the apology in first though ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure