Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    • By RightyTightyLeftyLoosey 23rd Feb 13, 8:49 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:49 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:49 PM
    Boots 17 mascaras are good and pretty cheap. I've been using the 'Doll'd up' the last week or so and I like it. 'Peep Show' is also good.

When I am super skint, I like Miss Sporty mascaras (Superdrug) or the MUA ones from Superdrug.
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 23rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 10,943 Thanks
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    Maybelline, the waterproof one.
    • sweetme
    • By sweetme 23rd Feb 13, 8:56 PM
    • 13,385 Posts
    • 46,371 Thanks
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:56 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 8:56 PM
    It's not waterproof but Benefit They're Real is definitely top of my list for mascaras.
    • zoesmummy_2006
    • By zoesmummy_2006 23rd Feb 13, 9:25 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    • 23rd Feb 13, 9:25 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 9:25 PM
    ive tried sooooo many mascaras but my current fave is the curling one from the MUA range at superdrug (silver curved tube), its a bargin at 2 and wearing it everyday while doing the school run in all weathers ive never had panda eyes from it running or anything
  • colleensims
    • 23rd Feb 13, 9:28 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 9:28 PM
    I have tried so many mascaras but my favourite premium one is Benefits there real!......takes ages to get off though! But the best budget one is boots 17 wild curls mascara! its amazing. x
  • Christina1982
    • 23rd Feb 13, 10:43 PM
    • 23rd Feb 13, 10:43 PM
    I agree about benefit they're real only wear it on nights out but it's an
    Every day I like the body shop one
  • Hughjass
    • 24th Feb 13, 10:03 AM
    • 24th Feb 13, 10:03 AM
    Another vote for No 17 products, easy to remove too.
    All power is from within and therefore under our control
  • oopsadaisydoddle
    • 24th Feb 13, 10:07 AM
    • 24th Feb 13, 10:07 AM
    I like Estee Lauder's sumptous bold. I never buy the full size ones though.

I always buy the tester sizes off eBay. Get 2 for about 6 which lasts me for 2 months. I know a lot of products on eBay are fakes but I've always had good experience with the tester sizes.
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 24th Feb 13, 10:05 PM
    • 5,356 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    Leichner waterproof mascara is exactly what it says..totally waterproof, kind to lashes & very cheap.

I wear it for the gym & it never budges. However, it is easy to remove.

I buy mine off ebay for a couple of pounds. I have very sensitive eyes & it's fine. Does not irritate them at all.

How I came about it, is I was looking for a waterproof mascara & I think I read an online review. The review was on a broad sheet newspaper's website.
  • Skywall
    Maybelline, the waterproof one.
    Originally posted by busiscoming2
    Another supporter here
  • clare64
    Thank you everyone - time to go shopping!!
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 25th Feb 13, 9:44 AM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 7,956 Thanks
    I love the BeautyUK one from Superdrug which is a couple of quid. It's the only one that has managed to curl my lashes.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th Feb 13, 1:55 AM
    • 11,497 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    Totally agree with the Benefit They're Real mascara- I really like this! I also like Chanel's Immitable, my mum bought me this as a Christmas gift and it's fantastic! Not cheap though- I'd never be able to afford this myself.

If your after a waterproof mascara, Blinc have a really good one. I think they may have also a volumising one but I could be wrong on that, otherwise the normal version doesn't volumise, but it can add length. I wore this to my Grandmother's funeral last year and cried throughout (really miss her still...) but the mascara stayed put. I've never had a mascara like it and I think I've tried about 80% of what's been out there for the past 15 years!

Rimmel also have a good one which says it helps lashes to grow and IMO it does. My lashes grew. I'd say you got to keep using it not just stick with one tube for a month then never use it again but I didn't use it every day and still got results.

I also like one by Boots No.7 which has a yellow brush (if you can see it) and a spikey head. I don't really like any of the other Boots No.7 mascaras but this one is different/better.
  • ragecake
    The purple l'oreal one is amazing, purely amazing, and only about 6.

However, if you save a little more, and have about 14, then the urban decay lush lash mascara is way more amazing, has never clumped and makes my lashes long and full.
  • talisha
    You've probably already gone out and bought a new one but here are my 2 cents

I work on stage for about 3-4 hours a night and I sweat quite a bit, but I can safely say that Benefit They're Real is great!

I used to also wear NYX High Definition mascara (yellow one) on stage layered (while still wet) with the 'Natural Collection' Waterproof mascara on top. Might have to go back to this one once the Benefit one runs out as I am trying to cut my spending down ^_^
  • MrsE
    I love boujouis clubbing, it's the only one that lasts on me. Tempted to try benefits they're real with all the recommendations on here. The blinc one does last, but doesn't thicken & comes off funny.
  • aridjis
    I'm afraid I must give a thumbs-down to MUA. I saw their black waterproof mascara in Superdrugs yesterday for 1, thought Wow that's cheap and bought it. Tried it today and as soon as I took the wand out of the tube I saw that the bristles were all coming apart and looked like they were disintegrating a bit. When I tried applying the mascara some of the tiny bristles came off and went into my eye so I stopped using it. My eye still feels a bit sensitive.

I will go back to my usual mascaras, No.7 or Clinique. I can recommend these if the OP is still looking for a decent mascara. It looks like the MUA was a bit TOO cheap!
  • mumofronnienreggie
    new to this part of the forum ( usually in the debt bit sadly :-/ ) but am a lover of all things health and beauty so hope its ok to jump in ...
    I have my fave mascara - lancome Hypnose. I have tried so many others both budget and the more expensive but I always come back to this. I buy very few a year ( maybe two), i always ask for one for a birthday and xmas pressie too... the budget ones have always proven to be a very false economy for me where as this one is fab. I also used to manage some stores for a well known pharmacutical company and before store opening, all the consultants from the different make up houses used to go to the lancome counter and use this, regardless of what their contracts said they were supposed to do, they all said, at the time, that it was the best there was. That was good enough for me.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 1st Mar 13, 10:51 PM
    • 12,964 Posts
    • 8,969 Thanks
    I'll second Lancme hypnose
    Also, last year I got a free half size Georgio ARMANI eyes to kill, in a magazine and that's as good or better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

6,811Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • While I oft bemoan Xmas being a retail festival. It's strange today many are bitter that shops are REDUCING prices, usually its the opposite

• And leave people held hostage to high Xmas prices? Our tradition was Xmas discounts spread in Nov/Dec not on one day

• John Lewis website is down - its price matching black friday deals. Maybe its a good day to buy cheap extra servers?

• Follow Martin