IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
am i covered?
Views: 423
# 1
mkdodd
Old 23-02-2013, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default am i covered?

hi all,

i bought a camera from jessops just under a year ago, i paid for it on credit card, the camera has stopped working and seems to be pretty much dead. since it was not a cheap camera i rang my credit card company to see if they could help me out.
i was told very politely that since my purchase was over 120 days that there was nothing they could do, i did google this and that rule seems to apply to debit and not credit cards!
is there any among you knowledgeable people out there that can shed some light on this for me

thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
stephane
Old 23-02-2013, 6:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The credit card company won't do anything....if its still under warranty then you need to contact the manufacturer directly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
chanz4
Old 23-02-2013, 6:52 PM

all the shop does is send it for you, which lengthens the process
Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
The Following User Says Thank You to chanz4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
thenudeone
Old 24-02-2013, 9:55 PM

I would certainly try to claim under the manufacturer's warranty first,

On occasions I have returned items to a manufacturer and been appalled at the extremely poor service I've received, so it doesn't follow that you will always receive satisfaction from the manufacturer.

BUT the above posters miss the point somewhat.

The shop has a legal obligation to sell goods which are of merchantable quality. If they aren't, the law gives consumers quite generous rights of redress. If the item costs over 100 and bought (even partly) with a CC, the CC company is jointly liable in law, with the shop, for that obligation, and can be sued for failure to comply, even without having to sue the shop first.

I'd suggest raising a claim with the card company now, before the year runs out. It will give you another avenue to pursue if you don't get very far with the manufacturer. They will often try to fob you off. Just persist and ensure it's recorded as a claim.
We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
The earth needs us for nothing.
The earth does not belong to us.
We belong to the Earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to thenudeone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cos
Old 24-02-2013, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Exactly as said above by thenudeone. Excellent post.
# 6
dalesrider
Old 25-02-2013, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenudeone View Post
If the item costs over 100 and bought (even partly) with a CC, the CC company is jointly liable in law, with the shop, for that obligation, and can be sued for failure to comply, even without having to sue the shop first.

I'd suggest raising a claim with the card company now, before the year runs out. It will give you another avenue to pursue if you don't get very far with the manufacturer. They will often try to fob you off. Just persist and ensure it's recorded as a claim.
You have to remember that you have to show that you have tried to resolve the issue 1st.
So simply saying jessops is no longer trading is not enough. For S75 to kick in. You will have to show that the manufacture will not honor the warranty.

Also the Op has not said a price.. Not cheap can mean many things.
So the camera on its own has to have cost more than 100. That is not the total price, just the price of the faulty item.
Never ASSUME anything its makes a
>>> A55 of U & ME <<<