IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Land registry restriction
Views: 531
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 24-02-2013, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Default Land registry restriction

Hi everyone,

My husband's trustee in bankruptcy has applied for a restriction against our jointly owned property (only my husband is bankrupt).

It's my understanding that when a bankrupt person jointly owns property then the trustee can apply for a Form J but the paperwork we've received doesn't specifically state that a Form J has been applied for. Perhaps this is usual? I don't know but if it's called a Form J then why not state that it's a Form J?

Seems nothing is simple and so I'm wondering if anyone here can decipher the legal jargon and tell me if this is a Form J.

"The restriction sought

The applicant has applied for the following restriction to be entered in the register of your above title:

RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered estate, other than a disposition by the proprietor of any registered charge registered before the entry of this restriction, is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or their conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to (insert name) trustee in bankruptcy...."

Any help would be much appreciated.
this-is-it-then is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Land Registry representative
Old 25-02-2013, 8:54 AM
Has MSE’s permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Head Office, Croydon
Posts: 1,412

Yes - form J - see Practice Guide 19 for wording options and more details
NB - there is no paper Form J but standard restrictions are entitled form A, B, C and so on. It would be normal to refer to the whole wording and not the form.

Practice Guide 34 includes guidance around personal insolvency as well which may be of interest as required.
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Last edited by Land Registry representative; 25-02-2013 at 2:15 PM.
Land Registry representative is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Land Registry representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 25-02-2013, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 19

Many thanks for your reply LR rep.

We have to sign to consent to this application so I wanted to be sure that we've been sent the correct paperwork.

Thanks also for the guidance notes.

Last edited by this-is-it-then; 25-02-2013 at 1:25 PM.
this-is-it-then is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to this-is-it-then For This Useful Post: Show me >>


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 04 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed