IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Basic PAYE Tools
Views: 1,653
# 1
Elsewhere
Old 19-02-2013, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Basic PAYE Tools

My husband and I have a tiny limited company. We have been filing some stuff online for a while, but soon we have to do all of our payroll online. We have had endless messages about being ready for April 6th for online filing...

However I was planning to use the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools - but it's not available for new users until April 2nd!!!! (I don't currently use Basic PAYE Tools) How am I supposed to be ready by April 6th?

Is this some kind of joke????

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/payro...ye-tools.htm:-

"I don't currently use Basic PAYE Tools

I plan to start using Basic PAYE Tools from April 2013

The RTI version of Basic PAYE Tools 2013-14 which will be available on 2 April 2013"
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Elsewhere For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Wywth
Old 20-02-2013, 9:40 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

There's also commercial software that should be available ... some of which is free for small companies

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/softwaredevel...ware-forms.htm

Unfortunately, when I looked recently I think it was only 12pay that had software currently available.

As we only submit our PAYE quarterly, we are hoping there may be some more options available to us by the beginning of July.
# 3
talkinpeace
Old 20-02-2013, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

then download the current version, update all of your info into it and do the roll forward - like everybody else will

and join the chaos that will ensue :-)
Counting the beans : 1
Knowing which beans to count : 99
# 4
nikki2804
Old 20-02-2013, 12:53 PM

If your mandation date is 6th April then atm you should be using the 'normal' basic tools which you can still download from the website.
SPC no 046
Now a MFW!
# 5
Wywth
Old 20-02-2013, 1:28 PM

I guess the OP is still using the manual, paper based system for calculating and recording PAYE
# 6
Elsewhere
Old 20-02-2013, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, I just do it manually, on paper - there are only three of us to calculate PAYE for so it's easy.

We've filed P35s and P14s online for a while.

It clearly says on the hmrc website (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/payro...ye-tools.htm#5) that the software for new users won't be available until 2nd April (2013-14 version), and you can't use the 2012-13 version unless you were invited to join the pilot scheme.

Well, I'll ring up HMRC and try moaning at them, I suppose.
# 7
nikki2804
Old 20-02-2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Yes, I just do it manually, on paper - there are only three of us to calculate PAYE for so it's easy.

We've filed P35s and P14s online for a while.

It clearly says on the hmrc website (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/payro...ye-tools.htm#5) that the software for new users won't be available until 2nd April (2013-14 version), and you can't use the 2012-13 version unless you were invited to join the pilot scheme.

Well, I'll ring up HMRC and try moaning at them, I suppose.
Yes that is relevant for real time information. If you have not been told to use RTI yet then you simply need to use the non RTI version. Once you have your RTI date you transfer over.

Go to www.hmrc.gov.uk
Click employers
Select basic paye tools

This will give you all the information required for the non RTI version.
SPC no 046
Now a MFW!
# 8
malc_b
Old 20-02-2013, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You fill it in when you pay so you only need it when you pay the wage. Assuming monthly that would be end of April.
# 9
talkinpeace
Old 20-02-2013, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

TBH
if its only three of you monthly, download the current version, put the 33 pay figures into it and let it do your P35 and roll you forward into RTI

you'll get little sense on the phone with HMRC IMHO
Counting the beans : 1
Knowing which beans to count : 99
# 10
fishybusiness
Old 23-02-2013, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Unfortunately, when I looked recently I think it was only 12pay that had software currently available.
I liked 12Pay much better than the HMRC software, although it does come at a small cost
# 11
Wywth
Old 23-02-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybusiness View Post
I liked 12Pay much better than the HMRC software, although it does come at a small cost
Cost?
I understood it was free, but you can upgrade if you want more functionality. That's why they offer it as a freebie, but it's not a time limited trial version - it remains permanently free in it's limited form (which meets the RTI requirements) for as long as you like.
# 12
markandkate
Old 23-02-2013, 6:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

For peace of mind you may be better off out sourcing your payroll We used to do ours in house with a staff of 12 and paid 35 per year for Sage software. We now pay about the same for a company to do it for us. Each month we e mail any changes and then they send us all the details , pay slips and so all the year end and P60's

Your local chamber of commerce or Business advice service should be able to help
# 13
Wywth
Old 23-02-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkate View Post
For peace of mind you may be better off out sourcing your payroll We used to do ours in house with a staff of 12 and paid 35 per year for Sage software. We now pay about the same for a company to do it for us. Each month we e mail any changes and then they send us all the details , pay slips and so all the year end and P60's

Your local chamber of commerce or Business advice service should be able to help
Show me a payroll bureau that will process monthly payroll (and year end statements) for 25p per employee per month, and I will show you a payroll bureau that will shortly be going bust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
markandkate
Old 24-02-2013, 1:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Show me a payroll bureau that will process monthly payroll (and year end statements) for 25p per employee per month, and I will show you a payroll bureau that will shortly be going bust.

I think you will find that I quoted the price as a guide every one has a choice just as you had a choice not to be so rude
# 15
Wywth
Old 24-02-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkate View Post

I think you will find that I quoted the price as a guide every one has a choice just as you had a choice not to be so rude
I didn't intend to be rude, just to disagree with your suggested price guide.

I am sorry if you consider anyone that disagrees with you as rude.

You have a choice to ignore me if you consider my posts as rude, just as I have a choice to disagree with your suggested price.
# 16
Mudd14
Old 03-03-2013, 8:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd be surprised if any payroll services company charges less than 12 per month for 12 employees.
# 17
AbbieCadabra
Old 04-03-2013, 9:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

not a service we use but out our online accountant's charges from April 2013 for payroll

Payroll costs including RTI compliance,
costs are Per Employee / per pay period
(can't get it to show correctly on here but 1st amount is standard pay & 2nd amount is variable pay)

1 employee - 5, 6
2-9 employees - 3, 4
10+ employees - 2, 3

Last edited by AbbieCadabra; 04-03-2013 at 9:16 AM.
# 18
Lovelyjoolz
Old 06-03-2013, 4:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
As we only submit our PAYE quarterly, we are hoping there may be some more options available to us by the beginning of July.
Out of curiosity, do you only pay your employees once per quarter? Or are they paid monthly and you submit quarterly?

I was under the impression that under RTI payroll info had to be submitted every month. Have I got that wrong?
You had me at your proper use of "you're".
# 19
Savvy_Sue
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Historically small employers have been able to pay what they owe in terms of NI and PAYE to HMRC quarterly. There's been no check on whether or not these amounts are correct until year end.

I'm not sure whether the option of quarterly payments will continue, but I do know that the amount due will now have to tally with the amount paid. (I'm sure this is A Good Thing, but I confess I did once deliberately underpay HMRC for a quarter when my staff wages bill was massive, and I knew I'd have the funds to cover the shortfall before the next quarterly payment was due. This is not something I'd ever recommend and it now won't be possible. Except that the whole thing is likely to be a complete fiasco because the systems won't work as they should.)
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 20
Wywth
Old 07-03-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyjoolz View Post
Out of curiosity, do you only pay your employees once per quarter? Or are they paid monthly and you submit quarterly?

I was under the impression that under RTI payroll info had to be submitted every month. Have I got that wrong?
No, our employeees are paid once per calender month.
But as we are a small employer, HMRC have agreed that we can pay the PAYE to them once per quarter (obviously covering the previous 3 months)

Smaller employers with estimated monthly payments to make of less than 1,500 can ask HMRC to pay quarterly.

We have not been notified of any change to this, and a quick check of the HMRC website suggests this can continue

Quote:
Q1.15: Can employers still pay HMRC on a quarterly basis?

A: Yes, if they meet the relevant criteria. But if your payroll is run weekly then FPSs will be required on a weekly basis. The fact that an employer is a 'quarterly payer' does not change the requirement to send in an FPS when payments are made.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/softwaredevel...operfaqs.htm#3

Last edited by Wywth; 07-03-2013 at 10:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>