The Great 'top-selling items at car boot sales' Hunt

Great 'top-selling items at car boot sales ' Hunt

Of course, what sells at car boot sales varies from location to location and from season to season. But there are some items, such as branded toys, that tend to sell fast regardless. For all you car-booters out there, which items sell best and how do you get top dollar for them?

View all past Great Hunts

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Perfume & Aftershave - half full, quarter full, good brands, cheapo's, they all sell well for some reason....
  • spooky25
    spooky25 Posts: 121 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2013 at 11:54AM
    Hi all,

Womens and mens clothing if they are branded seem to do pretty well. also stuff like workgear (overalls etc) seems to do well.

Some tips for all the new carbooters out there:

If you are selling womens clothes then be prepared to have swarms of people buzzing over your stall if you have the right stuff. Most carbooters tend to rail up there clothing and have either a rail price or items tagged up individually. We learn't the hard way!
    When you have big crowds people will try to shove the money they wanted to pay for a particular item in you hand whilst shoving it in their bags whilst it was busy. So always best to keep you good gear close to you and have at least two of you to police the stall as a sad fact that people will steal whilst at carboots.
  • I wondered why there have been WANTED posts for these on FREECYCLE!
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Anything new (still in packaging etc). Boys toys (there tend not to be that many of them, probably because boys are less careful with their toys). Electronics, tools, gadgets, photographic stuff, furniture, gold jewellery.
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,978
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I wondered why there have been WANTED posts for these on FREECYCLE!

Actually that is a good tip, if you see wanted ads on free cycle, then those things are good sellers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nailvarnish sells well - £1 a bottle - easy money!

(albeit I had c.100 bottles collected over 10 years).
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • This is a bit of a daft thread, anything sells at a car boot. Iif you have stuff to sell you take what you've got surely.
    I've had things that haven't sold for 4 car boots in a row and then sold at the 5th.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,978
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    This is a bit of a daft thread, anything sells at a car boot. Iif you have stuff to sell you take what you've got surely.
    I've had things that haven't sold for 4 car boots in a row and then sold at the 5th.

I have some things that are not worth taking as they will never sell. At a certain point each year I get fed up and keep one box back for the charity shop and give the rest away free rather than get stuck with it- and I am still left with stuff.

Video tapes for instance- I was at an event at the weekend and they did the same, everything not bought by Sunday was available free- and they still had someone trying to work out what to do with several boxes of videos, books, cds and assorted soft toys.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • This is a bit of a daft thread, anything sells at a car boot. Iif you have stuff to sell you take what you've got surely.

I think the idea is to highlight things that sell every time, rather than things that sell eventually.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have not had a stall, but go to quite a few car boot sales. However I notice what seems to be there every week and does not sell. Video tapes as someone mentioned, paperback books or anything from a budget shop.

The best way to move these difficult-to-sell items seems to be to have a 50p section or even 20p section.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure