IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hoarding - A New Start
Closed Thread
Views: 113,537
# 1281
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 2:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

71. Out- yellow pages since they don't even recycle them
72. Took dry clothes off horse
No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1282
lostinrates
Old 06-02-2013, 2:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ok....study pics, to continue the discussion about my bookshelves!

( yeah, those are more books, the ones I got out of boxes on to shelves at the end of last year)

Looks spartan huh?

But lurking is this

And, um, a few in other corners of the room too.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1283
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 2:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

73. Hung wet clothes on horse
74. Put away clean dishes
75. Done dishes from dish bowl (not the others that are on bunker)
No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1284
lostinrates
Old 06-02-2013, 2:47 PM

Ok, this is a bit more of a flying list than a dericharding one but here is my twelve

1. Bottle seen on my photo emptied and put in recycling bag.

2. Book on desk reshelved

3. Laundary pile started (lost count here but over twelve because I started counting again twice )

4. Sitting room coffee table rubbish accumulation BINNED

5. Junk mail, plastic removed, paper scrunched into woodburner

6. Plant pot aka the kiwi fruits avourite puppy toy) chucked, unbroken one gifted

That's it for now...I need a drink.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1285
whitewing
Old 06-02-2013, 2:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Could you just stack the books on the brown(?) shelves, without the cardboard boxes until you get your new shelves.

Rather than having the books vertically like in a normal bookcase, you could stack them flat, spines facing the room. You may be able to get them all on the unit, once unpacked, by a bit of careful shuffling.

Will you be using the books that much or just needing to have them for pleasure/future use? If not (aside from getting rid!), you could maybe use fabric or decorated paper on the shelves to make them look prettier, or drape them in some kind of a throw.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to whitewing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1286
Catriona_P
Old 06-02-2013, 3:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast!

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot?

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.
"Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
LBM Debt March 12 - 3,241
0% CC for 16 months (til Nov 13), 0% OD BT (til June 13) now - 390.81
No buying toiletries 2014 - UUs: 35 INs: 14 Total: 191
"Giving my daughter room in which to dance" (clothes clutter challenge): 56
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Catriona_P For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1287
lostinrates
Old 06-02-2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catriona_P View Post
I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast!

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot?

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.
Yes it's plastic garage shelving.

And yes, I think it's a better solution than the boxes.

The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. . She was instead of an engagement ring from dh.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1288
Catriona_P
Old 06-02-2013, 3:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrates View Post
The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. . She was instead of an engagement ring from dh.
Ah I see now! Lucky you, wish I'd got cats instead of an engagement ring My little cat didn't come along until after the wedding when my years of pestering finally got through.
"Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
LBM Debt March 12 - 3,241
0% CC for 16 months (til Nov 13), 0% OD BT (til June 13) now - 390.81
No buying toiletries 2014 - UUs: 35 INs: 14 Total: 191
"Giving my daughter room in which to dance" (clothes clutter challenge): 56
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Catriona_P For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1289
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 06-02-2013, 3:40 PM

Suggestions - cupboard of doom - do one of those horrid gift bags. Or pick up the puzzle and game boxes we can see at the back and put them on the top of the shelving.

Study - shelves against wall and clear one box at a time. Getting the study properly usable is important. Getting it all pretty with posh shelves is secondary.

Oh, and the cat's tail looks very photogenic
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1290
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 4:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is no space free on the top of the shelving, it's piled high! It's maybe something I will attempt to tackle tomorrow but its more than a days work!

Still going to try to find 25 other small things to do today (even if its 25 vests ironed......seems a lot!)

Now I have freed the toy box from the Christmas clutter, the kids have re-cluttered my livingroom with the contents of it for now!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1291
JayneC
Old 06-02-2013, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Still need some work done on my head! I keep reading all the things that you are moving on, and thinking, ohh, I'd like that, I'd like that!
Me too Had to stop reading!

Hello everyone, have been reading but not posting as DS hogged the poota, so I was reduced to reading on my phone and I just can't be doing with typing on my phone...

You all seem to be doing well today.

LiR that is a lot of books! I got rid of a whole bookcase of books along with the bookcase in one of my mad clear it all out episodes. I seem to go through phases of chucking lots of stuff then I regret it and it all builds again However I have now acknowledged that I am a hoarder and not just 'a bit messy' so I can let things go in a more planned and reasoned way and so hopefully will not regret it.

Today I finally chucked the greenery I gathered at xmas to make lovely wreaths (never did and it's been withering in my dining room ever since), the bin was emptied yesterday and is now more than half full again, will have to show restraint for next 2 weeks until it is emptied again, hmmm...

Sold a few things on ebay including 3 dining chairs, so could get the nice oak ones out of the understairs cupboard to use. Understairs cupboard very much cupboard of doom

More paperwork sorted and not needed stuff in basket for fire-lighting.

Dirty dozen, an excellent idea - goes to find another 12 things to dispose of/tidy...
Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
Crazy Clothes Challenge 2014/10 Make 20 a day Mar - 213.72 cash + 5.42 goods/vouchers Debt Free Date Target Jan 2015 /11,549.76 1% challenge - %
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to JayneC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1292
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 4:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

76-95. 20 vests ironed I have 6 on the radiators each of the 3 kids are wearing one, the ones they wore yest will be in the wash and I will have others to add to that (don't think they have any in their drawers)

And, a pic of the back of my kitchen! This is the new-and-improved back of the kitchen where the table (ok half of the table) can be used and monster ironing pile does not take up the entire surface of the floor, table and top of the freezer! ( although monster ironing pile hidden upstairs is multiplying now and baby ironing pile in kitchen is halfway there)

http://twitter.com/StarSas76/status/...223424/photo/1

And I know this probably isn't the optimum way for sharing pics but I'm no good at tweeting anyway so hardly use it, and its quick and simple to do it this way from my I phone!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1293
Picklepot
Old 06-02-2013, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Done my dozen!!!!

Tough decision.. home from work..shall i read my book sit with a cup tea and 'moodle' ?? Does anyone else do this and then an hour later you wonder where the hour went??

Anhow didnt moodle took up LIR dozen challenge. Here goes:

1. 12 items of recycling into the bins in the garage.
2. 12 items in kitchen (dumping ground) relocated to their rightful places.
3. 12 items of paperwork weeded out of bulging file
4. 12 items of confidential waste shredded.
5. 12 items taken from airing cupboard folded and put away.
6. 12 items of clothing picked up off bedroom/bathroom floor and put away.
7. 12 items off draining board put away
8. 12+ items put in washing machine load
9. 12+ emails deleted from email folder.
10. 12 items of paperwork filed
11. 12 items deemed general rubbish - binned
12. 12 receipts - spends listed in spends diary and then destroyed.

Yipee!! now off for cup tea and book read/moodle
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Picklepot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1294
decogecko
Old 06-02-2013, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well done all on your dirty dozen accomplishments today

Have a first world problem dilemma - I have for cushions that came with the sofas, they are the same fabric as the sofas but I like and have other cushions that match my colour scheme. Everytime I go to put them in a cs bag I get a serious case of the what ifs - I'm not going to use them, I have no use for them anywhere else in the house.

I'd been having pangs about giving away my collectables to the cs the other week (it was a put them in the car & take them to the cs without thinking about it) so I had a look an e of the bay to see what they were worth. Well talk about over valuing of 'things' - the prices were 99p most with no bids. This has rid me of the pangs.

Deco x
Deeds not words

I'm my happy ending

'The Lights Fund' 150.58/650.00
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to decogecko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1295
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 5:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

96. Out-a sanitary towel tin ( what is the point of these, but more to the point, why did I keep it?)
97. Unpackaged some boots sale items creating more space
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1296
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 5:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

98. A washing on (courtesy of eldest dd who was playing in a box, cut herself and didn't notice and covered her school shirt in blood)
99. Out- a ted baker candle in a glass candle holder
# 1297
sjprmc01
Old 06-02-2013, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

AND........100!

Youngest DD's school tights which can go straight in the bin when she takes them off coz she has managed to get a huge hole in them!
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to sjprmc01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1298
JayneC
Old 06-02-2013, 5:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ok have made a start:

1) 12+ washed and dried items of clothing folded and put away
2) 12 items of wet washing put out to dry
3) 12+ dirty laundry items off floor and in laundry bin
4) 12+ misc items lying around my bedroom put away in proper place
5) 44p(multiple of 12 so I'm counting it) decluttered into my pocket from various places in my bedroom.

Also today have put several empty baby milk tins in recycling (I could paint those in nice colours and use as storage hmmm... said baby turned 5yo on Monday) and several decorative biscuit tins that would make good cake/storage tins, that have however been accumulating dust and grease on top of my kitchen cupboards for I don't know how long...probably years

Ok off to make some tea and then I'll be back
Crazy Clothes Challenge 2014/10 Make 20 a day Mar - 213.72 cash + 5.42 goods/vouchers Debt Free Date Target Jan 2015 /11,549.76 1% challenge - %
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JayneC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1299
JayneC
Old 06-02-2013, 5:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well done sjprmc01
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to JayneC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1300
GreyQueen
Old 06-02-2013, 5:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjprmc01 View Post
Not sure this will work, but I've opened the cupboard of doom

http://twitter.com/StarSas76/status/...367233/photo/1
Ohhh, the pink, it burns us, it burns us!!

That looks like a fabulous walk-in larder to me. Just waiting to emerge from a pink crysalis and bloom in OS style order and loveliness.

I have to go off and clean my teeth now, which is a psycosomatic need caused by exposure to sugary pink items.....darn good job I'm not a Mum, I might have had a daughter with a pink passion and it would have been rather trying, instead of a gothette.........

I have taken the recycling out and am decluttering some food from fridge to plate via the stove. Nomnomnom.
Our life is frittered away by detail.....simplify, simplify.
Henry David Thoreau

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z
member # 5 Can-do Attitude

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GreyQueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread