Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 1st Jan 13, 12:23 AM
    • 20,873Posts
    • 80,479Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Hoarding - A New Start
    • 1st Jan 13, 12:23 AM
    Hoarding - A New Start 1st Jan 13 at 12:23 AM
    Right, it's a new year and there could be any number of lovely newcomers tentatively looking for a safe haven to help them in their struggle against The Stuff.

So, rather than struggle around our first thread, let's start with a clean, clutter free path to support, encouragement and understanding.

Here's the introductory post again:-

Welcome to the Thread

This is a friendly, supportive thread for anybody who is affected by hoarding issues. Hoarding isn't just untidiness, it isn't laziness - it's a genuine problem, and it can affect generations of families, all in different ways.

Some of us are the product of an environment where somebody else's hoarding affected us deeply, some have much loved partners, some have the condition and are trying to deal with the emotional and practical issues involved. Some are the exact opposite and just want to help. Everybody is welcome.

So, if you would like to post, whether once or often, lurk quietly in the shadows, never saying a word, or if you have an interest in understanding why this is happening to somebody, please, come in, take a seat and someone will be popping in to say hello.

We don't hide our thoughts or our opinions - it isn't a thread for agreement, if someone thinks another poster is making excuses or avoiding the real issues, we will say so in a fair, calm manner. We're not going to tell you that hoarding is OK. But we do understand it's more than tidying up. We've seen it, we've experienced it one way or another. We are unshockable, so don't hide your problems, thinking we'll judge you.

Through the course of this thread, we're realising just how much hoarding confuses our lives and our emotions - and hoarding is inextricably linked to emotional pain, loss and unresolved feelings.

A poster has asked the question - what happens next? This is her question and the reply I gave - it may help somebody else;

I am also dragged down by fear...what happens when I've de-hoarded...what happens if I'm still unhappy and lonely...?

You feel the same emotions, but

you are capable of finding clean clothes,
    a pair of socks,
    of sitting down on any chair,
    of going to bed without having to take your life in your hands going upstairs,
    of inviting someone round who wants to see you and could make you feel less lonely without concern for their opinion or personal safety,
    you have more money as you aren't spending it on 'stuff' to fill the hole in your heart.

You aren't harbouring mould spores,
    dust mites
    and various other nasties that can sap your strength and make you or your loved ones unwell.

You have space to think,
    to adjust,
    acknowledge,
    adapt to the uncomfortable feelings,
    as you aren't hemmed in by distractions such as a pile of things over there that are threatening to fall over.

You can find different things to do that can give you pleasure - having a lovely colour on the walls,
    finding a beautiful picture, having it framed and putting it on your wall where you can see and appreciate it properly,
    going out and starting other activities,
    inviting friends round without worrying,
    not stressing about the gas man,

It doesn't solve everything. But it makes the day to day so much better, easier, smoother. Which gives you time and space to deal with the harder stuff.

Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 01-01-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Page 65
  • sjprmc01
    71. Out- yellow pages since they don't even recycle them
    72. Took dry clothes off horse
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 6th Feb 13, 2:20 PM
    • 54,344 Posts
    • 342,306 Thanks
    lostinrates
    Ok....study pics, to continue the discussion about my bookshelves!

( yeah, those are more books, the ones I got out of boxes on to shelves at the end of last year)

Looks spartan huh?

But lurking is this

And, um, a few in other corners of the room too.
  • sjprmc01
    73. Hung wet clothes on horse
    74. Put away clean dishes
    75. Done dishes from dish bowl (not the others that are on bunker)
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 6th Feb 13, 2:47 PM
    • 54,344 Posts
    • 342,306 Thanks
    lostinrates
    Ok, this is a bit more of a flying list than a dericharding one but here is my twelve

1. Bottle seen on my photo emptied and put in recycling bag.

2. Book on desk reshelved

3. Laundary pile started (lost count here but over twelve because I started counting again twice )

4. Sitting room coffee table rubbish accumulation BINNED

5. Junk mail, plastic removed, paper scrunched into woodburner

6. Plant pot aka the kiwi fruits avourite puppy toy) chucked, unbroken one gifted

That's it for now...I need a drink.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 6th Feb 13, 2:48 PM
    • 11,049 Posts
    • 46,740 Thanks
    whitewing
    Could you just stack the books on the brown(?) shelves, without the cardboard boxes until you get your new shelves.

Rather than having the books vertically like in a normal bookcase, you could stack them flat, spines facing the room. You may be able to get them all on the unit, once unpacked, by a bit of careful shuffling.

Will you be using the books that much or just needing to have them for pleasure/future use? If not (aside from getting rid!), you could maybe use fabric or decorated paper on the shelves to make them look prettier, or drape them in some kind of a throw.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 6th Feb 13, 3:12 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 4,457 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast!

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot?

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    LBM Debt March 12 - 3,241 Paid Aug 2014!
    Debt 2 - 0% CC (till Oct 17) - 2,021.22
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 6th Feb 13, 3:18 PM
    • 54,344 Posts
    • 342,306 Thanks
    lostinrates
    I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast!

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot?

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.
    Originally posted by Catriona_P
    Yes it's plastic garage shelving.

And yes, I think it's a better solution than the boxes.

The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. . She was instead of an engagement ring from dh.
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 6th Feb 13, 3:30 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 4,457 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. . She was instead of an engagement ring from dh.
    Originally posted by lostinrates
    Ah I see now! Lucky you, wish I'd got cats instead of an engagement ring My little cat didn't come along until after the wedding when my years of pestering finally got through.
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    LBM Debt March 12 - 3,241 Paid Aug 2014!
    Debt 2 - 0% CC (till Oct 17) - 2,021.22
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Feb 13, 3:40 PM
    • 20,873 Posts
    • 80,479 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Suggestions - cupboard of doom - do one of those horrid gift bags. Or pick up the puzzle and game boxes we can see at the back and put them on the top of the shelving.

Study - shelves against wall and clear one box at a time. Getting the study properly usable is important. Getting it all pretty with posh shelves is secondary.

Oh, and the cat's tail looks very photogenic
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
  • sjprmc01
    There is no space free on the top of the shelving, it's piled high! It's maybe something I will attempt to tackle tomorrow but its more than a days work!

Still going to try to find 25 other small things to do today (even if its 25 vests ironed......seems a lot!)

Now I have freed the toy box from the Christmas clutter, the kids have re-cluttered my livingroom with the contents of it for now!
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 6th Feb 13, 4:27 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 10,926 Thanks
    JayneC
    Still need some work done on my head! I keep reading all the things that you are moving on, and thinking, ohh, I'd like that, I'd like that!
    Originally posted by whitewing
    Me too Had to stop reading!

Hello everyone, have been reading but not posting as DS hogged the poota, so I was reduced to reading on my phone and I just can't be doing with typing on my phone...

You all seem to be doing well today.

LiR that is a lot of books! I got rid of a whole bookcase of books along with the bookcase in one of my mad clear it all out episodes. I seem to go through phases of chucking lots of stuff then I regret it and it all builds again However I have now acknowledged that I am a hoarder and not just 'a bit messy' so I can let things go in a more planned and reasoned way and so hopefully will not regret it.

Today I finally chucked the greenery I gathered at xmas to make lovely wreaths (never did and it's been withering in my dining room ever since), the bin was emptied yesterday and is now more than half full again, will have to show restraint for next 2 weeks until it is emptied again, hmmm...

Sold a few things on ebay including 3 dining chairs, so could get the nice oak ones out of the understairs cupboard to use. Understairs cupboard very much cupboard of doom

More paperwork sorted and not needed stuff in basket for fire-lighting.

Dirty dozen, an excellent idea - goes to find another 12 things to dispose of/tidy...
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • sjprmc01
    76-95. 20 vests ironed I have 6 on the radiators each of the 3 kids are wearing one, the ones they wore yest will be in the wash and I will have others to add to that (don't think they have any in their drawers)

And, a pic of the back of my kitchen! This is the new-and-improved back of the kitchen where the table (ok half of the table) can be used and monster ironing pile does not take up the entire surface of the floor, table and top of the freezer! ( although monster ironing pile hidden upstairs is multiplying now and baby ironing pile in kitchen is halfway there)

http://twitter.com/StarSas76/status/299193007029223424/photo/1

And I know this probably isn't the optimum way for sharing pics but I'm no good at tweeting anyway so hardly use it, and its quick and simple to do it this way from my I phone!
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 6th Feb 13, 4:38 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Done my dozen!!!!

Tough decision.. home from work..shall i read my book sit with a cup tea and 'moodle' ?? Does anyone else do this and then an hour later you wonder where the hour went??

Anhow didnt moodle took up LIR dozen challenge. Here goes:

1. 12 items of recycling into the bins in the garage.
    2. 12 items in kitchen (dumping ground) relocated to their rightful places.
    3. 12 items of paperwork weeded out of bulging file
    4. 12 items of confidential waste shredded.
    5. 12 items taken from airing cupboard folded and put away.
    6. 12 items of clothing picked up off bedroom/bathroom floor and put away.
    7. 12 items off draining board put away
    8. 12+ items put in washing machine load
    9. 12+ emails deleted from email folder.
    10. 12 items of paperwork filed
    11. 12 items deemed general rubbish - binned
    12. 12 receipts - spends listed in spends diary and then destroyed.

Yipee!! now off for cup tea and book read/moodle
  • decogecko
    Well done all on your dirty dozen accomplishments today

Have a first world problem dilemma - I have for cushions that came with the sofas, they are the same fabric as the sofas but I like and have other cushions that match my colour scheme. Everytime I go to put them in a cs bag I get a serious case of the what ifs - I'm not going to use them, I have no use for them anywhere else in the house.

I'd been having pangs about giving away my collectables to the cs the other week (it was a put them in the car & take them to the cs without thinking about it) so I had a look an e of the bay to see what they were worth. Well talk about over valuing of 'things' - the prices were 99p most with no bids. This has rid me of the pangs.

Deco x
  • sjprmc01
    96. Out-a sanitary towel tin ( what is the point of these, but more to the point, why did I keep it?)
    97. Unpackaged some boots sale items creating more space
  • sjprmc01
    98. A washing on (courtesy of eldest dd who was playing in a box, cut herself and didn't notice and covered her school shirt in blood)
    99. Out- a ted baker candle in a glass candle holder
  • sjprmc01
    AND........100!

Youngest DD's school tights which can go straight in the bin when she takes them off coz she has managed to get a huge hole in them!
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 6th Feb 13, 5:37 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 10,926 Thanks
    JayneC
    Ok have made a start:

1) 12+ washed and dried items of clothing folded and put away
    2) 12 items of wet washing put out to dry
    3) 12+ dirty laundry items off floor and in laundry bin
    4) 12+ misc items lying around my bedroom put away in proper place
    5) 44p(multiple of 12 so I'm counting it) decluttered into my pocket from various places in my bedroom.

Also today have put several empty baby milk tins in recycling (I could paint those in nice colours and use as storage hmmm... said baby turned 5yo on Monday) and several decorative biscuit tins that would make good cake/storage tins, that have however been accumulating dust and grease on top of my kitchen cupboards for I don't know how long...probably years

Ok off to make some tea and then I'll be back
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 6th Feb 13, 5:39 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 10,926 Thanks
    JayneC
    Well done sjprmc01
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Feb 13, 5:48 PM
    • 9,780 Posts
    • 186,331 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Not sure this will work, but I've opened the cupboard of doom

http://twitter.com/StarSas76/status/299155975846367233/photo/1
    Originally posted by sjprmc01
    Ohhh, the pink, it burns us, it burns us!!

That looks like a fabulous walk-in larder to me. Just waiting to emerge from a pink crysalis and bloom in OS style order and loveliness.

I have to go off and clean my teeth now, which is a psycosomatic need caused by exposure to sugary pink items.....darn good job I'm not a Mum, I might have had a daughter with a pink passion and it would have been rather trying, instead of a gothette.........

I have taken the recycling out and am decluttering some food from fridge to plate via the stove. Nomnomnom.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,446Posts Today

7,008Users online

Martin's Twitter