Am I right? No case for PPI claim because *suggested/optional* PPI/life with mortgage

Options
arjaydavis
arjaydavis Posts: 9 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 February 2013 at 4:41PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I took up critical illness cover and life cover when I took out my mortgage in late 2005.

These were suggested to me by the Independent Financial Advisor that arranged my mortgage. The products are all from separate organisations. I was always told it was entirely optional and up to me, they didn't put pressure on me - they outlined the reasons why it would be worth having - i.e. if I fell ill long term and couldn't pay for the mortgage and other bills (utilities, council tax). I was told this would provide cover where the state system would stop covering me, i.e. after a certain period of time.

I have been aware of the mis-selling but from what I have read and heard about this, it was where people were told that they HAD to have the Payment Protection Insurance to take out the loan. In my case it was an optional add-on. So in my own mind I assumed that the critical illness cover and life cover products were worthwhile and I had not been mis-sold them.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer either way but some points about what to look for in the detail to help me arrive at a final decision as to take action or not would be useful.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    arjaydavis wrote: »
    I took up critical illness cover and life cover when I took out my mortgage
    These are not PPI policies, but useful insurance should the worst occur.
    You say it yourself that these were not mis-sold to you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took up critical illness cover and life cover when I took out my mortgage in late 2005.

Fair enough. Most people do this and its the right thing to do. Also, neither is PPI.
    These were suggested to me by the Independent Financial Advisor that arranged my mortgage. The products are all from separate organisations

Which is exactly what you would expect from an IFA.
    I was always told it was entirely optional and up to me, they didn't put pressure on me - they outlined the reasons why it would be worth having - i.e. if I fell ill long term and couldn't pay for the mortgage and other bills (utilities, council tax). I was told this would provide cover where the state system would stop covering me, i.e. after a certain period of time.

Excellent. Exactly how it should be. However, its an IFA and you would expect that. Even the FOS came out in November and congratulated IFAs for their complaint handling and record keeping and how much better it was than the banks.
    I have been aware of the mis-selling but from what I have read and heard about this, it was where people were told that they HAD to have the Payment Protection Insurance to take out the loan. In my case it was an optional add-on. So in my own mind I assumed that the critical illness cover and life cover products were worthwhile and I had not been mis-sold them.

Correct.
    I'm not looking for a definitive answer either way but some points about what to look for in the detail to help me arrive at a final decision as to take action or not would be useful.

Nothing you have said suggests any hint of mis-sale. Neither are PPI and you are talking about your mortgage here. Not some tiny credit card debt. Fail to pay your mortgage and you are out. Fail to pay your credit card and its hassle but it doesnt get you kicked out.

Also, if you did make a complaint it would be directly to the IFA who would take it personally. Unlike banks, IFAs are responsible individually for their advice. It would go on the record of that IFA and could see the IFA paying costs to their compliance company and increased PI insurance premiums (a bit like a non-fault car insurance claim can still raise the premiums). Only 0.2% of PPI complaints at the FOS are adviser sales (any type of adviser) and only 1% of overall complaints are about IFAs. Most are rejected.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • arjaydavis
    Options
    dunstonh - Thank you very much! Quick and detailed response addressing my points and does clarify to me my own situation - and put my mind at rest.

Moneyineptitude - thank you for your input too, quick response

Both answers corroborate.

Thanks again folks - "thanks" button pressed for both of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure