Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > How long does it take to get a tax rebate? (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long does it take to get a tax rebate?
Closed Thread
Views: 77,213
# 21
Tarasam
Old 26-07-2007, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

HMRC do pay interest if its applicable.

You should try being on the opposite end of this, you say its a nightmare, it truly is for the staff!!! Can you only imagine how many people are in your situation if the postal backlog is that bad.

The only advise i can give is to try ringing between 6-8pm or between 8-8.30am you're more likely to get through, thats the least busy time, also a lot of people asume we are closed Saturday when in fact we are open 8-4.

Just wanted to comment that HMRC do not steal your money, there could be many reasons for you being taxed incorrect and generally its down to your previous employer not using your P45 correctly or not understanding how to correctly code your pay from a P46.

Last edited by Tarasam; 26-07-2007 at 7:33 PM.
# 22
coffeejunkie
Old 27-07-2007, 10:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I do not blame the staff. They are just doing their job. I can sympathise that it must be an absolute nightmare to work at the tax office this time of year and deal with 1000s of angry taxpayers who expect their money back.

The onus here is on HMRC to adequately staff the tax office to accommodate these busy times of year. It is not as if the need for additional manpower at these busy times is unexpected. Clearly, they have dropped the ball on this one.

In the USA, tax time is mid April and the US Internal Revenue Service (the US version of HMRC) brings on at least 10,000 temporary and contract staff members to process taxes so that everyone can receive their refund in a timely manner. And they do. I always received mine within a three week time frame. There is no reason why the UK can't operate to the same standard, especially since the PAYE tax system is a billion times more simplified than the US system of taxation.
# 23
Tarasam
Old 28-07-2007, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunkie View Post
The onus here is on HMRC to adequately staff the tax office to accommodate these busy times of year. It is not as if the need for additional manpower at these busy times is unexpected. Clearly, they have dropped the ball on this one.
Unfortunately HMRC are unable to do this due to Mr Browns decision to remove thousands and thousands of civil servants jobs to cut costs. HMRC are well aware that they are ridiculously understaffed.
# 24
susan10
Old 30-07-2007, 12:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default i have got the money

Hi Guys,

I've just received a fat 1200 GBP backfrom inland rev. When i first sent in the claim they discarded the form and my p45s with no reason.I was really upset and sent in a new one with a letter of a heart breaking story about me having a serious disease and that I need a lot of money to pay for treatment bla bla bla...
I started to call them every day to chase up my claim.I made some useful friends in the office.
So my advice is to call them everyday starting from day one. After a few calls they just want to get rid of you asap and they will transfer you a big sum just to avoid your calls.

Call them every day ! Call them every day! Call them everyday!
# 25
Tarasam
Old 30-07-2007, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh my god thats so not the case!!

If you call HMRC every day you are using up resources that could be busy answerng proper calls plus if you speak to someone in the contact centres dealing with the tax office they can see from their systems that you are just hassling for a refund and they can very rarely speed anything up.

At the moment there at least 120 calls waiting to be answered at any one time. Progress chasing in this way is un-necessary, by all means call and get an approximation as to how long it will take to be dealt with according to postal delays / backlogs etc.

I'm glad you got your refund but the sob story will not have made any difference to the speed of the work. You only get back the amount you have overpaid.
# 26
BoroDav
Old 17-07-2008, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi all, I am going through this whole p50 thing right now. I sent mine to S!!!!horpe office late May, who then sent it on to West Lancs office at the beginning of June. I have rang them constantly since and neither S!!!!horpe or West Lancs can confirm whether it has been recieved or in S!!!!horpes case sent? I asked if I should resend the info and was told No! Due to backlog West Lancs are presently dealing with mail from June 9th!!!!! So they are sure its in there somewhere and I should just sit tight and wait. I have explained that I am presently not in employment (sub contractor) and have made no claim for benefits, but this does not seem to make a jot of difference. Their whole mindset in both offices is that their system is slow and we just have to wait and pray its in their stockpile somewhere?

Also they have now introduced a 4 week payment scheme were I need to reapply every 4 weeks I am out of work (12 weeks thus far) - but I cant reapply for weeks 4-8 and 8-12 until they deal with my initial claim??

Really frustrating.

Dave Matthews

Last edited by BoroDav; 17-07-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
The Following User Says Thank You to BoroDav For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
C8LNJ
Old 31-07-2008, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I sent off my P50 form filled in with relevant P45's in the last week of March and ive still not seen a penny.

I recieved a letter in early June asking for my current employers P60, which isnt available as I no longer pay UK taxes, I explained my circumstances over the phone which they accepted but insisted they had in writing. I wrote to them outling what I had confirmed over the phone.

Nothing for another month so I phoned....they hadnt recieved my letter yet & were going through mail from April.

What a joke, 4 months to sort out a tax refund. If I owed them the money they owned me they would have a man waiting on me in a bush outside my home by now. Its sickening!

Ive considered asking my local MSP to write to them, as apparently as soon as they recieve a note of interest from such a person they have torespond/deal with the request within 10 days or HRMS get their !!!! felt!!
# 28
gower454
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi all,

I recently started a new job and didn't have a p45 so i printed off a p46, filled it in and gave it to my employer with plenty of time before payday at the end of the month.

Pay day came and as I expected I was taxed at the BR rate.

How long does it take for these forms to be processed, as I only work 8 hours a week a significant amount of my pay is taken away.

I have had this problem in previous jobs where i remained on BR tax code for the whole time I was there so I have no faith in the tax office sorting this out.

Does anyone know how I can irritate them enough so that they sort this out or am i being impatient, how long does it take for the P46 form to be processed and come into effect.

thanks.
# 29
chrisbur
Old 08-11-2009, 3:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gower454 View Post
Hi all,

I recently started a new job and didn't have a p45 so i printed off a p46, filled it in and gave it to my employer with plenty of time before payday at the end of the month.

Pay day came and as I expected I was taxed at the BR rate.

How long does it take for these forms to be processed, as I only work 8 hours a week a significant amount of my pay is taken away.

I have had this problem in previous jobs where i remained on BR tax code for the whole time I was there so I have no faith in the tax office sorting this out.

Does anyone know how I can irritate them enough so that they sort this out or am i being impatient, how long does it take for the P46 form to be processed and come into effect.

thanks.
Assuming that you marked B on the P46 then your employer can put you onto the emergency code (647L)on a month 1 basis right away, they do not need to wait until the tax office issue anything. A lot of monthly payrolls have quite an early cut off date for amendments so it is possible that your P46 was not received in time, or possibly has been lost. You need to contact you payroll dept first to check if they have the p46 and when they will be putting you on the emergency code.
When your correct code will come from the tax office will depend on when they get the details from the P45 and possibly details of what if anything you received between jobs. If a P45 has not been issued then the tax office will need to contact your last employer for these details. In order for your new employer to tax you correctly they need not just your tax code but also the total pay you have received before starting there and also the total tax you have paid, if all works well this is the information on the P45.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisbur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
gower454
Old 08-11-2009, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Thanks.

I did mark box A on the P46 as its my first job this tax year.
# 31
chrisbur
Old 08-11-2009, 7:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gower454 View Post
Thanks.

I did mark box A on the P46 as its my first job this tax year.
As you marked box A you have declared that

"This is my first job since last 6 April and
I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker's
Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit
or a state or occupational pension."

My previous advice remains the same except that your employer can now put you onto the emergency code (647L) on a cumulative basis, which will mean that you will get back the tax you paid on the BR code, unless you are on something like 4000 a month or more.

As before check with your payroll dept. that the P46 was received and that they are putting you on the emergency code on a cumulative basis. Unless you have any variation from the usual tax code this will be your code that the tax office issues.
# 32
gower454
Old 09-11-2009, 9:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Cheers chrisbur for your help
# 33
pesty88
Old 07-12-2009, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

I had the same trouble with the P45/46 thing if you contact your companies HR they should have a unique reference number for your company, then call Inland Revenue on 0845 366 7830 and quote this number along with your national insurance number. They can change your tax code there and then and will let your company know, you made need to chase your HR though to ensure they change it on your payslip.

Hope this helps
J
# 34
allan2006
Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

im owed a tax refund for 2007-2008 tax year and i was hoping that hmrc would do the math and send me a cheque.

Surely they check what individuals have paid.......Ive had this before as agency work seams to mess up and you end up on m1 or emergency at some point in the year.

surely they must of checked and archived that year by now, do you seriously have to write, and ask to get my money back??
# 35
Mikeyorks
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The theory is you don't ...... the practise is that you certainly need to take the initiative, otherwise it's unlikely to happen. Write to them (current office you're with) with as much detail as you have for that year.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
# 36
manttys
Old 17-01-2010, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi all,

I wanted to ask a few questions about tax refund… In the current tax year I worked just for 10 weeks and earned about 6000 pounds. Moreover, I paid about 600 pounds of tax. As I am not going to work any more till the new tax year and I haven’t reached my personal allowance of ~6000 pounds, I should be able to get a tax refund. Previously, some company did it for me and now I don’t want to pay anyone and will try to do it by myself…

I have filled in a P50 form and will send it together with pages 2 & 3 of my P45.

1. To which address I should send them? On my p45 I found office number “073” which refers to a particular office. However, this is not my local office. Should I send these documents to the above-mentioned office?

2. the P50 asks to attach a letter giving the name and the address of the employer. Is it ok just to print that on a piece of paper or shall I ask my ex employer to sent it to me?

Any replies will be very helpful. I don’t seek any benefits or smth else, just want to get my overpaid tax back. Thank you.
# 37
clarew76
Old 21-01-2010, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

For info, the HMRC have a new Computer System, just thought I'd let you know in case they "mess up" anyone elses tax code like they did mine.

For a start they thought I had two jobs (I only have one) and gave me a Tax Code for each ..... unfortunately the job I am in was given a Tax Code of BR (I rang the Tax Office earlier in the week and sorted it out however my payroll department didn't receive notification in time) - I've worked for this company nearly 14 years and now have a Company Car, so I expected a little increase in tax .... although I got the shock of my life earlier when the payslips arrived . . . . I mean I knew BR meant big trouble ..... but I was still knocked sideways when I saw the Tax they took was nearly 1200 quid!! Fortunately with a bit of grovelling to our Payroll and statements such as "I can't live off 600 for a month I have bills to pay!!" they recalculated my wages and I'm now a lot less skint than I thought I'd be!!
Closed Thread