Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 25th Jul 04, 3:44 PM
    • 7,398Posts
    • 45,192Thanks
    MimiJane
    White grouting - what's best to clean?
    • 25th Jul 04, 3:44 PM
    White grouting - what's best to clean? 25th Jul 04 at 3:44 PM
    Anyone any ideas on the best way to clean grouting? Just put some new sealant around the sink and the grouting around the tiles above now looks disgusting!

Thanks.

???
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 25th Jul 04, 4:07 PM
    Re: White grouting - what's best to clean?
    • 25th Jul 04, 4:07 PM
    white vinegar and bicarb in a paste put on with a toothbrush is great

but if your in a hurry bleach on the toothbrush and leave a few minutes itll come up nice and white
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 25th Jul 04, 4:45 PM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 45,192 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 25th Jul 04, 4:45 PM
    • 25th Jul 04, 4:45 PM
    Hi Cathy,

Thanks for that. !I've actually tried the bleach but, although it's brought the surface dirt off, the grouting still looks grubby. !(Probably something to do with the tiles being put up last century!!).

I'll try and vinegar/bicarb. mixture. !How long should I leave this on for would you suggest?

• cathy
    • 25th Jul 04, 7:23 PM
    • 25th Jul 04, 7:23 PM
    leave it for about half an hour

if that doesnt work my mum told me to do this and I do and it works with minimum of effort.

get a tube of meltonian shoe whitener that you use for your white pumps lol the one with the sponge on the end.

go over the grout with the whitner and then polish off the excess tiles come up gleaming and grout is whiter than white

takes ages to wear off again as well

only minutes to re-do

;D ;D
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 25th Jul 04, 9:03 PM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 45,192 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 25th Jul 04, 9:03 PM
    .Re: White grouting - what's best to clean?
    • 25th Jul 04, 9:03 PM
    Great idea ... thanks Cathy!

I'll give both these things a whirl.

;D
    • divadee
    • By divadee 25th Jul 04, 9:22 PM
    • 10,396 Posts
    • 17,839 Thanks
    divadee
    • 25th Jul 04, 9:22 PM
    • 25th Jul 04, 9:22 PM
    I was thinking about asking this question today great minds think alike!!

Great tips i will be scrubbing my tiles tonight (just realised how sad that makes my life look ;D)
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 25th Jul 04, 11:38 PM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 45,192 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 25th Jul 04, 11:38 PM
    • 25th Jul 04, 11:38 PM
    I was thinking about asking this question today great minds think alike!!

Great tips i will be scrubbing my tiles tonight (just realised how sad that makes my life look ;D)
    LOL ... don't they say greater minds differ? ;D ;D
    • ioscorpio
    • By ioscorpio 3rd Aug 04, 2:13 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    ioscorpio
    • 3rd Aug 04, 2:13 PM
    • 3rd Aug 04, 2:13 PM
    I saw on TV toothpaste being used to clean grouting in a bathroom.

• sce37
    • By sce37 2nd Oct 04, 12:33 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sce37
    • 2nd Oct 04, 12:33 PM
    No need to regrout
    • 2nd Oct 04, 12:33 PM
    To save on regrouting try cleaning the affected areas with undiluted bleach on an old toothbrush. Works a treat
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 2nd Oct 04, 3:23 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Re: No need to regrout
    Or try Dettox Mould and Mildew Remover (I'm not on commission, honest ). Works brilliantly, and no effort required either!
    • By 16011996 2nd Oct 04, 7:12 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Or try Dettox Mould and Mildew Remover (I'm not on commission, honest !). !Works brilliantly, and no effort required either!
    will this work on blue grout? (new house, wasn't my idea!!)
  • cathy
    I had blue grout in the bathroom before we got it changed and it was mouldy and allsorts

i scrubbed it down with bleach and then got whitening from the ironmongers (or meltonian whitening would do) and went over it a couple of times had to re do it about every 2 months doesnt take more than a few mins and voila white grout

then polish off for a lovely shine

if you want to keep the blue die the whitening with some ink
  • Cullumpster
    i'm not sure whether this works as i've bought the stuff but actually have been too lazy to do anything about it yet because i've got hundreds of bl**dy tiles, but you can apparently use the whitening stuff that you use for trainers to brighten up your grout.
    As i said i haven't used it yet but when i do i'll let you know how it looks.
    • By 16011996 5th Oct 04, 12:56 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    thanks cathy, will give that a go.
  • filigree
    I bought name brand mould and mildew cleaner for the windows, and it's nothing but diluted bleach in a spray bottle! I suppose it's easier to apply, but what a rip off. Next time I'll stick to cheap bleach and a rag.

Thanks for the tip, my grouting is all manky and I'd rather clean it than replace it.
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 6th Oct 04, 2:06 AM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 45,192 Thanks
    MimiJane
    . ;D
    i'm not sure whether this works as i've bought the stuff but actually have been too lazy to do anything about it yet because i've got hundreds of bl**dy tiles, but you can apparently use the whitening stuff that you use for trainers to brighten up your grout.
    As i said i haven't used it yet but when i do i'll let you know how it looks.
    I've used it on the grouting round our kitchen tiles and they look great. ;D
  • Galtizz
    To save on regrouting try cleaning the affected areas with undiluted bleach on an old toothbrush. !Works a treat
    Probably a stupid question, but will it work on cream coloured grout - it won't make it white will it?? !

My wonderful partner decided to try his hand at plastering the wall without using a dust sheet or newspaper or anything to cover my brand new floor tiles. !Now my lovely cream tiles have pink grout >
    • By 16011996 6th Oct 04, 12:31 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    i think the bleach may affect it, i'd try hot soapy water with toothbrush first, or some soda crystals in hot water with toothbrush and see how you get on.
    • By 16011996 8th Nov 04, 6:15 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    bumped by me for a friend. ;D
    • MATH
    • By MATH 8th Nov 04, 9:01 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Once ya grouting is clean, stitch a button to ya cleaning cloth and use to score down the grout lines through the fabric of the cloth to keep it looking great when wiping down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin