IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
When did you last switch energy provider?
Views: 941
# 1
MSE Debs
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default When did you last switch energy provider?

Poll started 2 Jan 2013

Gas and electricity bills are on the rise. All the big six providers have hiked prices (or are about to) by about 10%. The market is meant to be competitive, but have you taken advantage? If not, read the Cheap Gas & Electricity guide.

When did you last switch energy provider?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
slimmillipede
Old 02-01-2013, 5:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Post Are MSE readers typical?

While a poll like this is interesting I don't think MSE readers are a representative sample (except of MSE readers of course).

I would think that the sort of people who read MSE are the sort of people who pay attention to their finances and are more likely to switch than non-MSE readers.

And thank you to Martin and the MSE team for helping us be like this

The Following User Says Thank You to slimmillipede For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MSE Martin
Old 02-01-2013, 6:20 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmillipede View Post
While a poll like this is interesting I don't think MSE readers are a representative sample (except of MSE readers of course).

I would think that the sort of people who read MSE are the sort of people who pay attention to their finances and are more likely to switch than non-MSE readers.

And thank you to Martin and the MSE team for helping us be like this

I agree - we were actually deliberately polling to see if OUR users have switched. it will be interesting to see if the poll results change when the voters start to come from the weekly email - which is a wider diaspera than those who answer immediatley.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MothballsWallet
Old 02-01-2013, 6:37 PM

Within the last 2 years - the switch process takes too long, up to 8 weeks. I could do lots of things in that time that would be more useful.
Always ask yourself one question: What would MothballsWallet do? Then do the opposite.
14/09/1954: Remember Totskoye
MbW & Mrs MbW v UK Home Office - solicitor preparing our case file, Embassy trip planning, Russian visa applied for
# 5
Sagz
Old 02-01-2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothballsWallet View Post
Within the last 2 years - the switch process takes too long, up to 8 weeks. I could do lots of things in that time that would be more useful.
I'm sorry, I don't understand that comment.
Switching only involves filling out an on-line form and reading the meters (and maybe ignoring a few letters and phone calls from the provider you are leaving )

The little effort it takes, the possible savings and the cashback you can earn makes it well worth switching in my opinion.

Re the poll, I'm surprised 14% (at the moment) have never switched.
Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!

Last edited by Sagz; 02-01-2013 at 6:52 PM. Reason: space bar not working
The Following User Says Thank You to Sagz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
phoenix__
Old 02-01-2013, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The Poll is asking about last switching supplier (I last switches 3 years ago) - without considering when I last switches tariff / checked I was on the cheapest package.

For this 3 year period, nPower have always been the cheapest - although I have changed tariff with them a couple of times during this period.

I wonder how many responses like this will be mixed up with people who haven't actually checked they are on the cheapest tariff?
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix__ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
istan66
Old 03-01-2013, 7:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Havent changed in 8 years

because my package just seems to be unbeatable. I have looked online and been cold called so many times by all the major players and they all admit defeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to istan66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ScarletBea
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM

This is a misleading question.
I've never switched providers because mine has always been the cheapest, but I constantly switch tariffs with that provider (online saver, fixed 1 year, then back to the normal saver, then fixed again...)
Being brave is going after your dreams head on
The Following User Says Thank You to ScarletBea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Alantheaged
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Swapped using U-Switch

I swapped using U-Switch and Martins site with a promise of 6 bottles of wine. This was in April and they are still not here. I've rung them to remind them and was promised it would be done soonest - that was on 6th December! Anyone else had problems?
Is it a con?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alantheaged For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Katie-Kat-Kins
Old 03-01-2013, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just voted, it has been about 5 years since I switched. I would switch much more frequently but I have an E10 meter which means that there is far less choice available and that the switching tools don't work for me.

Since I last switched I have done a price comparison and found that I was on the better tariff so I stayed. I'm about due to do it again but it involves phoning round and then speaking to a series of numpties who try to persuade me to change my meter at my cost before I can get prices. I'll admit that the hassle puts me off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Katie-Kat-Kins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
happyinflorida
Old 04-01-2013, 1:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagz View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand that comment.
Switching only involves filling out an on-line form and reading the meters (and maybe ignoring a few letters and phone calls from the provider you are leaving )

The little effort it takes, the possible savings and the cashback you can earn makes it well worth switching in my opinion.

Re the poll, I'm surprised 14% (at the moment) have never switched.
Not if you go with EDF it doesn't!! I've left them and only just got my first bills after 16 months - it's been a nightmare from start to finish. They have mucked it all up so much!

They have to be the worst company I have ever gone with and all because I read one of Martin's comments on his newsletter and went for a quote to see if I could get my bills down and the problems started.

I'm now with the Co-op - who I note Martin doesn't recommend at all and they've been brilliant and are cheap. I got onto them through Which? who I've found to be a much better forum for getting things legally and correctly done.
The Following User Says Thank You to happyinflorida For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
happyinflorida
Old 04-01-2013, 1:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantheaged View Post
I swapped using U-Switch and Martins site with a promise of 6 bottles of wine. This was in April and they are still not here. I've rung them to remind them and was promised it would be done soonest - that was on 6th December! Anyone else had problems?
Is it a con?

I'd recommend not using anything Martin recommends on his site, re energy companies, as I've had non stop problems for over 16 months and still on going in trying to sort out problems with EDF - I can and would recommend the Co-op who I found through Which? when they were trying to get a good deal for people who were fed up with all the rising prices and they negotiated a good deal through the Co-op!
The Following User Says Thank You to happyinflorida For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
slimmillipede
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantheaged View Post
Is it a con?
We used U-Switch to switch to OVO, the wine was a bonus and did take a long time to arrive, but it did arrive eventually and it wasn't bad wine either.
The Following User Says Thank You to slimmillipede For This Useful Post: Show me >>