IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
December Debt Destruction!!!
Views: 31,519
# 321
WantToBeSE
Old 09-12-2012, 9:25 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

ooooh, i am so cross, i had written a huge post and then it got deleated as i hit 'back'...grrr!!

Anyway, it basically said how nice it is to have cheerleeaders such as mumsiemum and suzitiger (and the others), so thanks for the cheerleeding, and you'll have to see what you think of Januarys challenge

Should be another NSD today, taking it to #7

Thanks to NOvember and DDD so far, i have finally managed to start a small (read- TINY) savings pot. As the months go on, i am hoping it'll get bigger once i find a job (PLEASE SANTA I WANT A JOB!) and then i will be able to start saving properly!

Abundant- hope the move is going well!
PurpleJay- i am very jealous of the Baileys. Its my most favourite drink in the whole wide world..mmmm

Sending hugs to all the people with the DDD flu...seriously, be kind to yourselves and get as much rest as possible.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 322
JAMIEDODGER
Old 09-12-2012, 9:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to JAMIEDODGER

Morning all

Still keeping the purse shut so will be NSD number 7 for me today

This blinking essay is driving me to distraction!!!! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I know I should just submit and let it go but I haven't as yet....

Really don't want to take it into another week

Hope everyone has a low or no spend Sunday xx
Pay off debt by xmas 2014 #213
574.02/1500 38.26%
Save 12k in 2014 #015
240/600 40%
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 323
gelmc
Old 09-12-2012, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBeSE View Post
Sending hugs to all the people with the DDD flu...seriously, be kind to yourselves and get as much rest as possible.
Thanks WTBS, I'm just coming round from mine. Felt shocking on Friday and yesterday morning. Had to leave work early Friday as couldn't really focus on what I was doing.

Well, am moving forward. Spent a little yesterday and have nearly got all my friend's presents (got a lovely heart shaped metal christmas decoration for 1.50 in Wilkos - they usally sell for a fiver when they're just sold as everyday ornaments). Also got some silver heeled sandals for work's Christmas do next Fri, in a chazzer shop for 3.50. Have also been signing up to more mystery shopping sites, in order to moneyspin. Must get some stuff on ebay tonight, seeing as it's free listing weekend.

Spoke to a friend on Fri pm, who had made 170 on it in the last month. She is also following Littlemissunidebt's thread as she wants to save a cushion and possibly come out of teaching too. She also said she was doing mkt research through Saros for 40, good for her. I applied for that too but didn't get through the screener Qs probably.

Good luck everyone this week. I'll hopefully will get some more NSDs in now as being ill kind of thwarted it.

Last edited by gelmc; 09-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gelmc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 324
liltdiddylilt
Old 09-12-2012, 3:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

WanttobeSE - I do not envy you. I remember being my mums nightmare teenager and half of what she did made me worse to be honest. I deserve everything my daughter can throw at me when she gets to that age!! Kids are grandparents revenge None of this was useful information, sorry. Good luck!!

Purplejay naughty naughty on the Baileys but it is Christmas and you have been extra specially good!!!

Suzitiger well done you!! I did the same yesterday, walked around town for an age (had a coffee from my giftcard in starbucks though!) but I didn't spend an actual penny AND registered with the library to save myself even more money!!! Felt so good!

Mumsie - I know what you mean. I started this month, thinking it was a bit of an odd month to try to drastically reduce spending in, but actually, I am amazed at how little I have needed to spend in real terms. I just spend for the sake of it usually obviously. I've been coming to that conclusion slowly over the last couple of months, but this challenge has really helped me cut back!!

Jamie - let it goooo!!! Think how much better you will feel once it is in!!

Gel so sorry you're feeling rough. Fingers crossed you are feel better soon.

I am on NSD #8 by default today. We need bread (as of 3 days ago...) but have managed to concoct food without our usual staple & it has been good! The last time I opened my purse (apart from to put cash into my savings woohoo!) was on Monday!!!

My parents are coming on Tuesday so I will have to shop as they are staying with us for 2 nights. Can't be feeding them chilli beans on eeny weeny 'jacket potatoes' (quotations since they are only dinky spuds). Plus side is that the freezer is still full of meat & my parents will probably pitch in with the shopping, hopefully keeping it down! Also MUST wrap all presents and bake cookie gift tags before they are here
NST Nov: SFD: 15/18||Groceries: 146.86/130||Food Bank: 0/5|
FD Saver: 3300.00/3600.00 Xmas Spends: 270.34 Emergency Fund: 948.42
"A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 325
WantToBeSE
Old 09-12-2012, 3:48 PM

Gelmc- glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better. My sister has been in bed for 2 days with awful flu/sickness, i think there are quite a few bugs going around. Hope you are fighting fit soon.

LOL, thanks liltdiddylilt (i think!!) for the words of wisdom I actually dont know if there is anything i can do that will help him to behave/do as he is told, or to help him through this horrible confrontational age. I guess its the rite of passge between being a child and being an adult (if he lives that long!).

I am snuggled up at home today, watching TV and generally vegging out. Having a sneaky bottle of pear cider too, shhhh dont tell anyone!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 326
nannygladys
Old 09-12-2012, 5:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone

NSD 7 today, tomorrow should be as well as at work again and I have all I need for the next few days, still living out of freezer and cupboards but it doesnt seem to have gone down much

Hope everyone is feeling OK this bug seems to be missing here at the moment and thats how how I like it but if Im going ro get it ld rather it be now than at Xmas as I have all the family coming to me and we are making some fab food!!!!!

Anyway the only part of the challange I seem to be having problems with is the fitting in the exercise, although Im on my feet all day at work but I dont suppose that counts, Ill have to come up with another cunnnig plan to fit it in cos I do enjoy it. Anyway off for a lurk
Jxx
Grocery challenge Nov 40.61/100, fuel 40.00/80.O0
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nannygladys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 327
Kerfuffle
Old 09-12-2012, 5:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everybody,

Yesterday's post is a little bit late as I had a Christmas party to go to last night and I wasn't sure whether I would need to open my purse or not. The good news is that I didn't have to pay for anything so the entire evening was a freebie , and I came away with a snowglobe

We very nearly ran out of milk yesterday but took some out of the freezer which will see us until Monday, and I'll get some then as Monday is going to be a spend day as I have a hairdressers appointment.

So below are the stats up to and including today (as I'm not going anywhere tonight).

Food 11.65 / 50.00 (for 2 people)
Petrol 29.66 /105.00 (2 vehicles)
Christmas Food 30.00
Christmas presents 50.00
Unplanned spends 6.66 (Dentist)
Planned spend 40.00 including Christmas tip (Hairdresser)
NSD 5 / 20
SD 3 / 11

Toodles

Debt Free Date 31.5.13
MFit - T3 # 162
2014mfw# 137 MF goal 02.02.2020
To overpay the mortgage 7 / 81 months (7000.00)
Just because a lending institution says you can afford to borrow some money, doesn't mean you should Only buy NEEDS not WANTS SPC#579

Last edited by Kerfuffle; 14-12-2012 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Edited NSD v SD
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kerfuffle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 328
JAMIEDODGER
Old 09-12-2012, 7:49 PM

Hey all

Assignment has been submitted what a relief!! Christmas party was excellent and the kids had a fab time

Totally shattered now so going to get the kids to bed and just chill out and watch tv for a bit
574.02/1500 38.26%
Save 12k in 2014 #015
240/600 40%
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 329
NinjaSavingKat
Old 09-12-2012, 7:57 PM

I am BACK!!! I have read some posts but shall be re-reading and replying very soon. I am alive - that is the most important thing!!

The debt journey is over, the savings are made and I hit the road in 24 hours.

Savings banked; 14000 in 10 months thanks to MSE!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 330
WantToBeSE
Old 09-12-2012, 8:06 PM

Well done JAMIE! I bet it feels good to have submitted it

Welcome back Kat! Hope you had a fab time!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 331
JAMIEDODGER
Old 09-12-2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBeSE View Post
Well done JAMIE! I bet it feels good to have submitted it
It's feels.....
574.02/1500 38.26%
Save 12k in 2014 #015
240/600 40%
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 332
black cat
Old 09-12-2012, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I found this thread too late to join, but I'm following with interest - and following the rules on my own. Will you all be doing something similar in January? Please say yes!

Good luck to you all!
I'm getting there!
DFBX2014 challenge #196
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to black cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 333
Learning2Budget
Old 09-12-2012, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

NSD 6 today. Feeling better about this challenge now. Tomorrow will be a NSD too!!
LBM 2008 45,091.23 eek: now 18,432.25 Debt free date 20/02/2020 Nov 11/15 nsd
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Learning2Budget For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 334
thriftylass
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Exclamation Admit defeat but only for now :)

I have to be honest, I broke some of the rules of this challenge hence I shall withdraw as an official member for this month and rejoin the January challenge. I have learnt a lot and will keep recording all my spends etc in prep for next month but I think it was a bit too much for me now. I'll keep reading and cheerleading etc though. More tomorrow

X
Nov batten down the hatches no 14
SFD 12/20 GC 234/180 HH 80/80 Wedding debt 2500 2080 CC 558 505 405 DFD Dec '15
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 335
liltdiddylilt
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

YAYYYYYYYY JAMIEEEEEE!!!!! Well done! I knew you'd feel better once it was gone

WB Kat - well done on staying alive *ah, ah, ah, ah, staying alive, staying alive*

Still no spends for me since Monday. NSD #8 Woooooh!! Made some crazy 'cakes' with plain chocolate, a bit of stork, all melted around broken digestive biscuits, cornflakes & ginger. SO good! Dinner was nice and normal too pork chops, mash, & veggies.

Tomorrow is a spend day. Need to get the ASDA delivery sorted (remind me to get ketchup & cookie cutters please ) Cookie cutters because I am making cookie gift tags with icing names to jazz up the otherwise small and frugal Christmas gifts for the chosen few!

Vouchers from WH Smith for the kids. 15 for 20 worth with a voucher

Watching MOTD then bed for this tired bunny.

Night all x
NST Nov: SFD: 15/18||Groceries: 146.86/130||Food Bank: 0/5|
FD Saver: 3300.00/3600.00 Xmas Spends: 270.34 Emergency Fund: 948.42
"A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 336
Cranny44
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

NSDs for me thanks to forgetting the dog food otherwise would have been 6......... but guess i gotta feed him And ended up xmas shopping over 2 days instead of the planned 1 day..

Xmas all sorted except one voucher but have some euros left from hols so gonna change these and get the voucher.

2 Work dos this week but ones at lunchtime so not gonna eat just have a drink as i will be a bit short on time otherwise, that and its an expensive pub meal i dont feel i want to pay for... but going to the indian on friday so will be a spend there...

Got over 40 in Mr T vouchers for extra food spend this month although still eating from these cupboards and freezer.......... but will go a way to replenishing em when needed.

Not planning on any other spends i hope.. Focus Focus Focus...........
Updating .................................................
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cranny44 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 337
wishing my life away
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Reporting NSD 6 for me. I don't post often but I am checking in and sticking to the rules. Everyone is doing really well and I find all the success's (and confessions) really encouraging- it's good to know others are going through the same. My sister asked me to pick up some Xmas lights for her and I nearly got some for me!! I was just talking myself in to it thinking how pretty they would look and where I could squeeze some money from.... and then thought NO...I do not need these and back they went... was quite proud of myself.

The exercise has been a real challenge for me but I have been out and running in the cold using a nhs podcast called 'couch potato to 5k'!! I'm normally very bad at excerising but as always being signed up to a challenge really focuses my mind and determination.

Anyway I've a busy week lined up with work and other family
commitments but rest assured I will be checking and trying my very
MSE best to stick to the plan!!

Have a good money saving week everyone xx
debt free by dec 2013 # 62
Jan: 3131.82/ 11364.68= 27.55%
Feb:5100.39/ 11364.68 = 44.87% paid
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wishing my life away For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 338
WantToBeSE
Old 10-12-2012, 8:03 AM

Breaking one of the rules this morning and going to eat lunch out at a pub.
Meeting up with mt ex-next-door-neighbour. We have been friends for about 13 years, ever since we both moved into neighbouring houses on the same day.
Cant wait!

Kat- if you'd rather i bowed out of the DDD because of this, i am more than happy to do so, but will continue to cheerlead and to get as many NSDs as possible.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 339
NinjaSavingKat
Old 10-12-2012, 8:53 AM

Good Morning Kittens...

My my what a tease I am. Telling you I was back and was reading through the posts then promptly falling asleep! Grr!

However I am not here, porridge in hand with a side order of Tesco onion rings ( weird taste alert ) and ready to confess. I had a spend day on Thursday for food prep for the weekend, Friday was an NSD, Saturday I had to pay for the breakfasts and the main meal we were forced ( no joke ) to buy and have at the youth hostel and perhaps I spent some money on a 12.95 vintage pillbox hat that I found in a charity shop (shameful confession to the DDD contenders )... Sunday was an NSD.

SO - I have been super naughty so there is no way I can banish anyone ( WantToBeSE )... and Thrifty where the h*ll do you think you are going..? Confess and stick with us please...

For some reason this month has been hard to fall into for me.. I would have assumed my NSD count should have been MUCH high by now. A colleague just bought me porridge as I am all out and didn't want to shop yesterday - SO I now have to consider breaking an NSD today and getting some el cheapo porridge oats so the rest of the week can be NSD's... but things seem to have been creeping up and springing themselves on me. I think I shall buckle down, refuse everything in January and prepare another challenge.

The weekend of hiking / bimbling was lovely. We did 12km on Saturday and Sunday.. but with my early start on Friday I was left feeling a little lethargic as opposed to energized... I am more energized to think I have receipts to sort through, spreadsheets to update, calculations to make - THIS is what excites me...

I was talking to one girl on my trek who is an avid reader - she is working her way through the "BBC Big Read" which I might do as well - off goes the TV for once and out comes a book I think. I shall beg borrow and steal where necessary....

BlackCat - always good to have another cheerleader..and you Suzitiger!!

So a massive congrats to Kerfuffle upon her receipt of a snow-globe and Jamie for your essaying...

I am glad that people are thinking about their present buying and food expenditure. I have another two portions of pasta shells with me today so they are slowly depleting. I have not a lot else in the fridge / freezer for protein in take apart from some cheese and milk. I really need to do some calculations and see what I could stretch to so my body doesn't give up and shut down in protest..

Did anyone make use of the "free eBay insertion" this weekend? i finally had someone pay me after 3 weeks!!! And it only amounted to 3.95. Guess she can wait a day until I post it. I need to re-arrange some pictures, items and deals with my remaining bits - then I will struggle to sell much. Might resort to clothes I don't wear again..

Right then - calculations to follow...

The debt journey is over, the savings are made and I hit the road in 24 hours.

Savings banked; 14000 in 10 months thanks to MSE!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 340
thriftylass
Old 10-12-2012, 9:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSavingKat View Post

SO - I have been super naughty so there is no way I can banish anyone ( WantToBeSE )... and Thrifty where the h*ll do you think you are going..? Confess and stick with us please...
Thanks Kat, that's very much appreciated. I'll take that offer and stay

Ok, here it comes. I bought cider and cigarettes on Saturday . and feel very ashamed. But after BF had a few nights out I felt like a deserved one in. Now I regret it.
Did a grocery shop on Saturday (update my signature soon) and should have enough food at least til next weekend also since I had to go again on Sunday to pick up things I forgot and a food processor (just Tesco's own) as mine broke and I needed one to make xmas hamper stuff. So now it's out.

My plan for the week is not to spend a penny apart from the budgeted hairdressers tonight (put away last month) and to hopefully sell a few items on ebay again that I listed for free yesterday. Was finally able to withdraw about 140 from ebay/paypal and stuck most into my CC debt.
Nov batten down the hatches no 14
SFD 12/20 GC 234/180 HH 80/80 Wedding debt 2500 2080 CC 558 505 405 DFD Dec '15

Last edited by thriftylass; 10-12-2012 at 9:50 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>