Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    smithm9
    Can I Complain About Prices?
    • 9th Dec 12, 3:59 PM
    Can I Complain About Prices? 9th Dec 12 at 3:59 PM
    Hi everyone

Yesterday I got a train from Milton Keynes Central to Leeds, connecting at Manchester Picadilly which cost me 58.40 for an advance return with a young person's rail card.

Normally, I'm pretty good at getting the best deal, but on this occasion, I just completely forgot to take the extra minute to see what I could do. Then while looking at my advance return tickets to Manchester for next weekend, I noticed it cost only 25.70. That means that the short distance (only 2 or 3 stops) between Manchester and Leeds effectively cost me 32.70 - more than the cost between Milton Keynes & Manchester!

A bit more digging around on the TheTrainline website revealed to me that had I have bought it as a series of single tickets (I used a Saturday a few weeks from now to get the closest, but not exact equivalent price for an advance ticket), it would have cost me 25.05. This would have saved me 33.05! Sadly Mr Lewis' Tickety Split app doesn't work in this instance.

I'm lucky to be in the fortunate position where this has just proved to be a tough lesson for me to learn, take a sharp intake of breath through gritted teeth and go and sit on Mr Lewis' naughty step, but there are countless people out there for whom this would be a big deal.

Is there someone I can complain to about the fact that the best prices require investigation, otherwise you have to pay significantly more? In my case more than double. I did some research and I can find ways to complain about pretty much everything, right down to the catering, but there was nothing there about something as fundamental as pricing.

Some advice suggests that I should complain to the train companies, but on their own, Virgin Trains and First Transpennine Express are very reasonable on the basis of singles, even on joining two returns, their services were on time and I got a seat, so complaining to them would be unfair on them. It's somewhere in the integration of everything that something is not right and that is where I would like to send my complaint. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,349Posts Today

7,355Users online

Martin's Twitter