IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
EquiDebt
Views: 658
# 1
Penfold77
Old 06-12-2012, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default EquiDebt

Good Evening,

A while ago (August) I received the first of my comunication from this company and I came on the forum and followed your advice - sent the various letters and I have never heard from them again.

However I stayed enrolled with the credit expert system just as a precaution, and I have just hd an alert that on the 2nd December (ish) the very same company have done a search on my details.

Can anyone help me and explain why? or what they are trying to do?

Regards,
Penfold

Last edited by Penfold77; 07-12-2012 at 6:50 PM. Reason: Updated the date
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Penfold77
Old 07-12-2012, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi sorry to be a pain but can anyone offer advice?
# 3
fermi
Old 07-12-2012, 7:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Who knows. They don't seem to know what they are doing half the time.

As long as the search is an "unrecorded" equity (as it should be), then it's irrelevant as no creditors checking your file would see it.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
The Following User Says Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Lensman
Old 07-12-2012, 7:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a DCA search my file last year. I think they were after information about my circumstances.

Without this information they cannot place your account on a certain track for processing. Or update that track.

A useful article here about how hard DCAs try to get your information so they can decide how best to treat your account:
http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index...._-_Q_%26_A%27s
You might need to read between the lines a bit but it made me realise why they ask the questions they do. All of it in their own interests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lensman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Penfold77
Old 07-12-2012, 7:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It is an unrecorded search, but after no communication for 4 months I thought it was all over and I had nothing to worry about and now this. The debt is well over the 6 years time barred, I was out of the country for 8 so I don't understand why they are even looking in to things after they have received all the letters.
Should I just forget it? and hopefully that will be the end of it? Or should I write them again asking them to stop looking at my credit file?
# 6
Lensman
Old 07-12-2012, 7:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would forget it if they have respected your SB letter. No damage has been done to your credit file (apart from your annoyance).

I am sure you have better things to do with your weekend than get steamed up about this.
# 7
Penfold77
Old 07-12-2012, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

To be fair I do, but having been away for so long I came back to no credit file and I am just getting one sorted now after 12 months and now this.
If they had of respected by SB why now check my credit file 4 months later?
# 8
Lensman
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As above - this will have no impact on your credit worthiness. You have sound grounds for complaint with the CRAs if it does.

Have a good weekend.
# 9
Penfold77
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Cheers.. Panick over then. I will just wait and see if I ever here from them again and then I suppose as I have already warned them about going to various bodies - I just do that. Correct?
# 10
Penfold77
Old 09-12-2012, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another update... I just got back from a weekend away to a letter from them saying that they had closed there account and passed it back to the company it came from. Who would now investigate whether they TRIED to contact me during the past 6 years. Is this correct? I thought you had to actually have contact within the past 6 years, not just attempt contact, otherwise surely this whole situation would never end. Your thoughts?
# 11
fatbelly
Old 09-12-2012, 4:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold77 View Post
Another update... I just got back from a weekend away to a letter from them saying that they had closed there account and passed it back to the company it came from. Who would now investigate whether they TRIED to contact me during the past 6 years. Is this correct? I thought you had to actually have contact within the past 6 years, not just attempt contact, otherwise surely this whole situation would never end. Your thoughts?
It's a nonsense argument, and dealt with by Fermi in post#7 of the SB thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatbelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Penfold77
Old 09-12-2012, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you.. So it looks like nothing can happen. Due to me been away for 8 years and not having any contact with anyone..

Thank you everyone. I can now rest and enjoy christmas, well until it starts again next year.
# 13
fatbelly
Old 09-12-2012, 6:53 PM

Strictly speaking, they could start a court claim, and you would have a defence.

But this is likely just to be posturing and harassment on their part, hoping that you don't know the law in this area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatbelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Penfold77
Old 09-12-2012, 7:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

How could they start a court claim? the debt is from 2003 and I have never had any contact since that date..
Also if this happened how or what would be the defence?
# 15
fermi
Old 09-12-2012, 7:21 PM

If they have "tried" to contact you in the 6 years, then under OFT guidelines it might possibly be still OK to ask you politely to pay. But NO MORE THAN THAT.

The debt would still be statute barred though. It would not stop that. So as said, if they were daft enough to try court action it would be a complete defence.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
The Following User Says Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Penfold77
Old 09-12-2012, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So if they politely ask me to pay I can say no.. Also how do they prove they have tried to contact me? I lived in a completely different country for the whole of that period of time.
I do not understand this, if it is statuate barred then I do not have to pay it no matter what? So if that is the case why still chase?
# 17
iolanthe07
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM

So if that is the case why still chase?

Because the debt still exists (unless you're in Scotland). They are hoping you will pay it off under a moral obligation, since presumably you do owe it. But they cannot pursue it through the courts.
"Debt is the slavery of the free" (Publilius Syrus, First Century BC)
The Following User Says Thank You to iolanthe07 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Penfold77
Old 10-12-2012, 6:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I genuinely do not remember the debt at all but it was a long time ago.

So just to clarify, I would not have to pay this if it turned out it was my debt and they asked me to?

If that is the case why don't they simply close the file down?
# 19
RAS
Old 10-12-2012, 6:59 PM

Hi

The debt still exists but you do not have to pay it because of the length odf time that has elapsed since your last payment.

No court in the land would grant them a case, as long as you defend it.

have you sent a SB letter yet and told them you are not paying?
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
The Following User Says Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Penfold77
Old 10-12-2012, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes I sent it in August and not head anything until after I got back from the weekend, when they said they had closed their file and passed back to the company it came from. Who would now investigate whether they TRIED to contact me during the past 6 years. Is this correct? I thought you had to actually have contact within the past 6 years, not just attempt contact, otherwise surely this whole situation would never end. But as I said they can't have contacted me as I was out of the country.