IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
so........ the advents
Views: 1,897
# 41
Ms Chocaholic
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

How do you check pages visited vanpopple? I use FF and I'd be interested to learn
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Chocaholic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
nelie
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is anyone else prepared for loads more tomorrow? I know of at least 5 who are starting tomorrow from last year due to hints on their pages! (as if there weren't enough already!) xxx
Wins in 2014 (2014): 23 (547)
Alphabet:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Best 2014 Win: Kindle
Thanks to all posters - Have a lucky 2014
# 43
vanpopple
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Chocaholic View Post
How do you check pages visited vanpopple? I use FF and I'd be interested to learn
Ok goto the top of ff, 'history' -> SHOW ALL HISTORY..
Then a page called 'library' pops up, on the left and at the top again is history, click that and it will bring up----- todays,yesterday, last 7 days, novemeber, october-----
DOUBLE CLICK On one of those, and it will bring up a huge list of pages, at the bottom it will say how many pages youve visited..

Then if you want to look at each one, just click the history again in up on the left hand side of the library page it opened and repeat..

Hope you follow let me know how many pages youve been on..

CRETE7 Weeks To Go
TIME IS PRECIOUS
Waste it wisely

Well done
SUNDERLAND
The Following User Says Thank You to vanpopple For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Purple_Skull
Old 03-12-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree with vanpopple, it's all about being organised. I've spent November doing as many December ending comps as I can and now I've got more time to do advents. I've got them all bookmarked so I just work my way through the folders during the day also doing a search for comps ending the next couple of days for any I've missed.

I'm actually entering less a day in Dec than in Nov

May you all have lots of luck, Emma xx
The Following User Says Thank You to Purple_Skull For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
liz545
Old 03-12-2012, 1:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've got a total of 40 advents bookmarked so far, and managed to get them all done in half an hour before work this morning. Going to try and be organised and give it my best shot, in previous years I've just ignored them as it's too hard to get everything done! I only do end date comps though, not dailies (too much to remember!), so that helps. There are a couple of cycling/hiking ones that I'm really hoping to win, the rest would just be a nice surprise. GL everyone!
2014 comp wins - 290
Recent wins: case of cereal, Kindle, shower gel
Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
The Following User Says Thank You to liz545 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
BlueBella
Old 03-12-2012, 4:25 PM

Feeling so much better today - Saturday (Day 1 of Advents) was manic as I was trying to sift through most of the Advents to decipher whether I wanted to enter them or not - anyway I now have a bookmarked list of the ones I do like the look of so I can just go straight to them daily! I feel much more organised now! I have also cut down on Facebook comps and dailies - I want to enjoy the run up to Christmas and not feel guilty about being away from the laptop.

Once the kids break up from school, I will have very little time to comp. I am pleased also that many of the advents are only 12 days so should finish by the 12th! Love the advents that require you to just click on the number then add your name and email!!! So quick!!!! hating and avoiding the Rafflecopter advents and those that require you to do this that and the other all for a Christmas paper hat!
A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

A Geordie lass who is proud to speak 'Geordie!' !

'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will hurt me!' So think before you speak! Alreet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueBella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
Purple_Skull
Old 03-12-2012, 4:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBella View Post
Once the kids break up from school, I will have very little time to comp. I am pleased also that many of the advents are only 12 days so should finish by the 12th! Love the advents that require you to just click on the number then add your name and email!!! So quick!!!! hating and avoiding the Rafflecopter advents and those that require you to do this that and the other all for a Christmas paper hat!
Agreed on the early ending ones!

I'm also avoiding the ones wanting you to jump through hoops and going for the easy ones en masse instead. Fingers crossed x

May you all have lots of luck, Emma xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple_Skull For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
BlueBella
Old 03-12-2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Skull View Post
Agreed on the early ending ones!

I'm also avoiding the ones wanting you to jump through hoops and going for the easy ones en masse instead. Fingers crossed x
Yes, and I hate the advents that are a mixture of offers - they waste precious time and also the comps with forms where Roboform won't work or 'he' fills them in all capoot! !

Yes, this weekend was a hectic one - as in between Advents, I was also decorating the house with the kids and trying to untangle the flaming Christmas tree lights! I'm sure there is a bogie man in our loft who tangles, ties knots in and unscrews bulbs in our lights each year! I always wind them up carefully and store them in a shoe box but they never come out like that when the next Advent arrives???? Then when I had untangled them, the dog and cat thought it would be great to have a nibble! By 9pm Sat night I was on wine bottle number 2!

'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will hurt me!' So think before you speak! Alreet
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
vanpopple
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thats it saturday i think was a mental day for most,
I spent 14 hours and pretty much entered everything i found, but then sunday i chucked out the ones that i didnt want, and dleted the offers ones.
So now i think im down to around 70 what id call decent ones, but i do now have a few more comping friends on fb (first time all year) i decided that adding a few fellow compers could be a good idea, and it really has been because when i start each day and i come to my first fb comp i have a few notifications where these friends have sent requests etc and mostly theyve been comps ive not seen, so thats been awesome.
Im contemplating requesting a few more, as now if i enter a comp and it says share with friends then i automatically send it to all of them and so far they have been doing the same. (so thats saving me lots of searching time)
Im a couple of days in front on my normal comps, but usually do a day before bedtime (after midnight -3am or so) as i find the internet is so much quicker and i can do a whole days in those 3 hours.

And finally as purpleskull says im also entering less 'normal' comps than usual, but i think thats simply because there are more advents than standard comps with it being december,
but looking at january there already seems to be quite a lot being posted, so could be a busy month.

CRETE7 Weeks To Go
TIME IS PRECIOUS
Waste it wisely

Well done
SUNDERLAND
# 50
tinktinktinkerbell
Old 05-12-2012, 1:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

ive got a nice little routine going now

some advents i do just after midnight and the rest (mainly facebook/twitter ones) i do when i get up the next day, ive even sorted my folders into 'advents' and 'morning advents' got about 50 in one and 48 in the other

ive taken a lot of them out if it looks like they are all offers or prizes i wouldnt want to win

so yeah enjoying the advents this year, won 3 things so so far so good
The Following User Says Thank You to tinktinktinkerbell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
BlueBella
Old 05-12-2012, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinktinktinkerbell View Post
ive got a nice little routine going now

some advents i do just after midnight and the rest (mainly facebook/twitter ones) i do when i get up the next day, ive even sorted my folders into 'advents' and 'morning advents' got about 50 in one and 48 in the other

ive taken a lot of them out if it looks like they are all offers or prizes i wouldnt want to win

so yeah enjoying the advents this year, won 3 things so so far so good
Great organised minds this alike! I have two lists too - one for early advents and the other for later advents - it is quicker and easier to get the advents entered that open from midnight then just have the ones that start later to do. I do this for Facebook too - as some companies don't post their advent comps til later in the day. I feel quite organised now The first few days of sorting the good from the bad and the earlies from the lates was tiring!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
lindens
Old 05-12-2012, 8:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinktinktinkerbell View Post
im organised this year, ive been through the advent thread and put the ones that look worth entering into a folder on my bookmarks bar

i have 35 in there

for those that have some saved how many you got?

are you all set?

looking forward to it?

got the dark room where you will sit rocking back and forth sorted?

is it me or does there not look like many advents this year or is it just because ive done them before lol
if you go over to loquax.co.uk which i use for my comps as well as this site, there are 400 advent comps! soooo many facebook and twitter this year
You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
# 53
*KatieL*
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The first day I struggled but now I seem to be managing fine Had 5 wins in 5 days, doubt that will continue though lol!
*Katie*

Last edited by *KatieL*; 05-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.
# 54
Short-n-Sweet
Old 05-12-2012, 2:22 PM

I try to be organised but it doesnt happen. So there are a few of the bigger prize ones I always remember to enter then go threw the advent post daily and enter things that catch my eye. I do skip a fair few.

I have won 2 things from advents so far so I am pleased but do find them hard to keep track of...and also finding every day comping a nightmare with all the advent posts in the main board being bumped daily with answer...I would love a sub cat for all advents that would make life for me easier I could do advents then carry on with normal comping without to much fuss lol I am not a very organised comper.

****GOODLUCK****