Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with n... (Page 9)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours
Views: 10,755
# 161
custardy
Old 24-10-2012, 3:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

you realise the 2nd one is irrelevant?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 162
rickbonar.
Old 24-10-2012, 4:49 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

why is the second one irrelevant?
# 163
Paul Varjak
Old 24-10-2012, 5:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbonar. View Post
why is the second one irrelevant?
The second sticker is also relevant - it can serve as a reminder to the Postal Delivery worker that a household has opted out of Royal Mail's junk mail...

http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/controlling-your-mail
# 164
custardy
Old 24-10-2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Varjak View Post
The second sticker is also relevant - it can serve as a reminder to the Postal Delivery worker that a household has opted out of Royal Mail's junk mail...

http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/controlling-your-mail
So its irrelevant on its own you mean?
So in context,you need to add a link to the opt out,not simply an image
# 165
parcival
Old 24-10-2012, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to be a postie BUT I have to say the Royal Mail have become a pathetic joke here in Somerset.

Deliveries being made at all times of the day.
First class packets taking 5 days to deliver.
Can't pick up packets from Delivery Office for 24 hours from delivery attempt.
No space for clients in Delivery Office car park as it's full of shiny new RM vans.

Surprisingly, they managed to get 6 leaflets through the door today.

God help us at Crimbo.....
# 166
Paul Varjak
Old 26-10-2012, 6:33 PM

Default Stickers have Arrived!

Four weeks to the day after ordering a sticker, it has finally arrived along with seven others that I have ordered over the past 4 weeks.

The stickers are slightly different in design now with black lettering, rather than the red lettering used during the trials.

Must say the sticker is rather too discreet and could easily be missed, especially as the label is the same colour as my door (white). With post now being delivered as late as 5pm, postal workers won't even be able to see the sticker once the clocks go back next month!
# 167
KxMx
Old 26-10-2012, 9:50 PM

Good to hear, I requested another 10th October as my current one is fading fast.
# 168
Paul Varjak
Old 26-10-2012, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KxMx View Post
Good to hear, I requested another 10th October as my current one is fading fast.
I am happy to forward a copy to you - I have 7 spare ones!
# 169
little monkey
Old 01-11-2012, 9:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Helen View Post
"Royal Mail is now allowed to leave certain items with a neighbour when consumers are not at home to receive them ..."

Read the full story:

It was'nt really news was it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...5883&highlight=
# 170
Paul Varjak
Old 01-11-2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little monkey View Post
It was news because Royal Mail only got the green light by Ofcom on 27th September to go ahead with the scheme. The MSE article announcing that green light, could not have happened before the Ofcom statement!
# 171
GooliesOfFire
Old 02-11-2012, 9:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have finally received my sticker for the mail box from Royal Mail. Looks like I'm the only person in the whole street that have it. That shows how unsociable individual I am
Freeview HD / T-Mobile Full Monty (which is like installments for Galaxy S4 really) / Co-Op Energy Fixed July 2015 (gas/elec) / Virgin Media 20Mb/s Cable Broadband only (4 discount)/ Anglian Water (no meter).
# 172
Paul Varjak
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooliesOfFire View Post
I have finally received my sticker for the mail box from Royal Mail. Looks like I'm the only person in the whole street that have it. That shows how unsociable individual I am
Most people don't even know the scheme exists. I rang Postcomm after the scheme started and even they didn't know.

To date, I have received 20 opt-out stickers. I am still waiting for about another 80! It took 4 weeks from the time of ordering to when the first one arrived.
# 173
KxMx
Old 03-11-2012, 2:48 PM

I got mine yesterday too.
One I have is fading fast, hope this one is more up to the job.
# 174
Paul Varjak
Old 03-11-2012, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KxMx View Post
I got mine yesterday too.
One I have is fading fast, hope this one is more up to the job.
Any difference between old and new stickers you have? The older ones I have seen have red writing over three lines. The newer ones have black writing over 2 lines.
# 175
UK007BullDog
Old 04-11-2012, 3:52 PM

I have my sticker too. Its very small and white with black writing. I do not think the postie will notice it on my white door.

On a by-note, I noticed that the posties (Royal Mail and the other delivery services) do what they want. I found a couple of packages from Amazon placed behind my bins, totally wet and must have been there for a couple of days as I did not see them coming home in the dark. and a delivery service chucked a package over the fence again. At least they left a notice that its in the garden. Luckily it was wrapped in plastic.
# 176
Gus360
Old 04-12-2012, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Our Postman is too busy to be bothered trying to leave mail with neighbours, our post arrives mid afternoon, they seem to have cut right back and I feel sorry for him trudging round in all weathers. There tracking system is a joke and the only way I can be sure I get a urgent package delivered is to wait in.
I have now been waiting four days for one.
# 177
peaches48
Old 05-12-2012, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Where's my Post!

Reading all the posts had me laughing and cringing in turns. However, apart from the hassle of trying to get your post from some unknown neightbour (oh, you live there do you!), what about the contract you have with your supplier.
You pay a sum (and some are quite high) to have a parcel delivered to your address unless specified otherwise. For the RM to now say they are going to hand the parcel to someone else at another address, is in effect rending the contract with your supplier null and void. Should we now demand a lower price for delivery from suppliers, given that the parcel(s) may now not be delivered to us?
And surely does the RM not also have a contract with the suppliers to deliver the parcels to the address written on them and not to some other.
There have over the last few years new companies that have appeared, that for a small fee will take delivery of your parcels and then notify you of a delivery whereby you can then collect it at a time to suit you. However, what happens when that office is closed for lunch, having a fire drill, closed for holidays etc. do all those parcels get handed to a neighbouring office/property? One hopes not.
If you accept a contract to deliver an item to a particular address, then that contract has to be completed; end of story.

Why of why, hasn't the RM got to grips with the 21st century and started texting or emailing addresses to let them know that there is a parcel coming. You could then let them know when it is convenient or make arrangements to be in, still letting RM know. This doesn't have to man mananged (sorry, ladies also). The info could be stamped automatically on the package when scanned. The software and hardware justs needs to be updated. This in the long run would be much cheaper. No wasted man (& ladies) hours, and no delivering to a wrong address. Of course there will cases whereby you have an emergency but surely texting the info directly to a contact number, the data could be updated to the post(wo)man whilst either on their rounds or just prior. The technology is available, it just seems that the RM doesn't want to spend the money to use it. However, with time marching on, eventually they will have to. Otherwise, the time will come when items of post, be it parcels or just ordinary mail will no longer be available for them to deliver. And then another company bites the dust! Either get on board with technology or disappear!
Their current system is archaic and not in keeping with what is available today.
I wonder if there has been any recent time and motion study on the whole of the RM operations? It would be interesting to read, I think!
# 178
custardy
Old 05-12-2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches48 View Post
Reading all the posts had me laughing and cringing in turns. However, apart from the hassle of trying to get your post from some unknown neightbour (oh, you live there do you!), what about the contract you have with your supplier.
You pay a sum (and some are quite high) to have a parcel delivered to your address unless specified otherwise. For the RM to now say they are going to hand the parcel to someone else at another address, is in effect rending the contract with your supplier null and void. Should we now demand a lower price for delivery from suppliers, given that the parcel(s) may now not be delivered to us?
And surely does the RM not also have a contract with the suppliers to deliver the parcels to the address written on them and not to some other.
There have over the last few years new companies that have appeared, that for a small fee will take delivery of your parcels and then notify you of a delivery whereby you can then collect it at a time to suit you. However, what happens when that office is closed for lunch, having a fire drill, closed for holidays etc. do all those parcels get handed to a neighbouring office/property? One hopes not.
If you accept a contract to deliver an item to a particular address, then that contract has to be completed; end of story.

Why of why, hasn't the RM got to grips with the 21st century and started texting or emailing addresses to let them know that there is a parcel coming. You could then let them know when it is convenient or make arrangements to be in, still letting RM know. This doesn't have to man mananged (sorry, ladies also). The info could be stamped automatically on the package when scanned. The software and hardware justs needs to be updated. This in the long run would be much cheaper. No wasted man (& ladies) hours, and no delivering to a wrong address. Of course there will cases whereby you have an emergency but surely texting the info directly to a contact number, the data could be updated to the post(wo)man whilst either on their rounds or just prior. The technology is available, it just seems that the RM doesn't want to spend the money to use it. However, with time marching on, eventually they will have to. Otherwise, the time will come when items of post, be it parcels or just ordinary mail will no longer be available for them to deliver. And then another company bites the dust! Either get on board with technology or disappear!
Their current system is archaic and not in keeping with what is available today.
I wonder if there has been any recent time and motion study on the whole of the RM operations? It would be interesting to read, I think!

They have,its called Royal Mail Tracked. its been in use by RM for years now
# 179
quidjibo
Old 28-12-2012, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The leave with neighbour scheme is a cheap excuse so Royal Mail don`t have to extend the opening hours in the depot/callers office.
# 180
quidjibo
Old 28-12-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches48 View Post

Royal Mail will be testing a system similar to usps tracking next year.