Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012 (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012
Views: 2,118
# 21
betheebee
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all,
Been up since 4.30 due to neck pain, I can hardly turn my head so dosed on Ibupro, because of this pain in the neck (no, not DH ha) I wasn't able to drive to the shops y/day couldn't look right or left to check traffic so DH will drive me today. I've started to write xmas cards and did some more wrapping.
Stuffed chick breasts defrosting for dinner tonight to go with pots and cauli cheese.
TOPSY Well done on getting the job.
POOKY Hope DH will soon be on the mend.
DONNYG Have a safe trip home.
MOLLY Soopadrug have loads of stuff less than 1/2 price. I got a bag of choc coins for 65p, Sure roll on deodorent 1.46, Jar of marsh mallows 1.49 and loads of smellies 99p. Free delivery.
CAMELOT Enjoy your evening.
MIFFY Sorry to hear about your friend. Poss vibes on the way.
NLJ Hope you get your DS's problem sorted.
JACKIO Pleased to hear you had a great time with your DB.

Have a good day all.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to betheebee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Judi
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Morning all,

Ive a lot to be thankful today. Though its cold in the West Midlands my husband is working in snow. Good job i packed his thermals the weekend.

Thanks for the support from you all regarding Auntie. I went as promised and was I'm glad i did.

Auntie is one of the most selfless of people i know (my Father was another - he was peeling my oranges for me until he died when i was 18 though i didnt realize how much he hated peeling them like i did).

The house was spotless. I was let in by her carer. Auntie couldnt hear me as her tv was up too loud. Apparently when her friend and carer went into hospital her son took it upon himself to give the house a damn good clean (it needed it). He's arranged carers to go in twice a day (he goes in on an evening so she doesnt need care at night). He has taken on the duties of a loving and caring son and i have nothing to worry about where her care is concerned. Its strange how things have worked out because they fight like cat and dog!

Auntie has told her son that she is leaving the option of going into a home to him. She obviously wants to keep the house because she wants him to have it when she dies but she knows when all is said and done she will be a burden on him until she dies.

Her mobility is still a problem and it wont be getting better anytime soon, health is not good either but she was lucid and in the best of spirits.

I spent most of the afternoon with her, did a few jobs for her (mainly personal stuff that she doesnt want her son to do/see).

I left her house feeling happy and content that she is in the best of hands. I shall see her on a regular basis, but am happy her needs are being met.

Its such a relief i can tell you.

Daughter came round last night. Not in the best of moods either. She's so much like her Dad. When she's got 'one on her' the whole world can tell.

Usual Wednesday jobs today. Vacuuming throughout and such like. Need to sort out some baby photos for my eldest son sometime too but that can wait.

Have a good day all.
'Holy crap on a cracker!'
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Judi - So glad you've nothing to worry about, my old lady is 92 she has a daughter who dosen't talk to her and a son in oz, i go on a friday and she has someelse do her shopping, she dosen't like homehelp ladies but has 1 once a week. she does her own meals/drinks etc. she too feels that she cannot go into a home as she will waste her money that could go to her son...
You know your getting old when you
go to the pub sit outside
and admire the hanging basket
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Judi
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainbird View Post
Judi - So glad you've nothing to worry about, my old lady is 92 she has a daughter who dosen't talk to her and a son in oz, i go on a friday and she has someelse do her shopping, she dosen't like homehelp ladies but has 1 once a week. she does her own meals/drinks etc. she too feels that she cannot go into a home as she will waste her money that could go to her son...
Personally, i'd rather use my savings than become a burden on any of my family.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM

me too......when i see how she struggles....i'd much rather sit back and enjoy being waited on .....I'll meet you there Judi
You know your getting old when you
go to the pub sit outside
and admire the hanging basket
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
hilstep2000
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Morning All!
Snowing here, but not laying!

Going to my cousin today for roast pork lunch.

Had M & S Macaroni cheese last night. Very nice, loads of sauce!

Topsy Well done!

Did quite a lot for me yesterday. 2 loads of washing, ironing, sorted freezer and fridge. Stripped two beds (Couldm't re--make them tho!)

Judi My Dad is in a nursing home due to various things. I had to sell his property and have so far spent 62,000 on his care in two years! We have finally got the NHS to agree to pay for him as of next year, but my point is that we are not entitled to want an inheritance. My Mamma and Dad worked hard for years, and if Dad can be looked after properly, I don't care about the money. It's his after all! Still this is just my opinion.

Keep warm and have a good day.
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

Last edited by hilstep2000; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to hilstep2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
beemuzed
Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Morning All! Roads around quite nasty first thing - we can always tell by watching the car lights as they go up/down the hill nearby!
I took the dogs out around the field, it was really lovely in the snow today. Got home and decided I'd better clear the driveway as getting our cars in/out can be interesting. DH took a pic to prove I was doing it! Cheeky s@d!
He had the beginning of the second chemo cycle at the hospital yesterday and came home with the other chemo drug in a pump which will be finished by tomorrow afternoon, so we have to go back then to have it removed and the line flushed out. Hopefully driving will be OK by then as it was one of the things I was very relieved to give up when I retired - snow is lovely if you don't need to travel! I'm now sleeping in the spare room as I have a nasty cold/cough. Apparently germs stay on soft surfaces for 24hours! I'm getting paranoid about DH getting any sort of infection...
Bread is baking nicely today so house smells lovely! Not too much HW going on tho'. have just been checking the labels for the Christmas cards, which I'd like sent soon - rather folks know about DH before they send their cards IYSWIM.
Have a funeral to attend this afternoon, and a PCC meeting this evening. Think I'll be getting more exercise and walking!
Hope you are all managing to stay warm at least. Do take care!
Resolution:
Think twice before spending anything!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to beemuzed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
LameWolf
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
I left her house feeling happy and content that she is in the best of hands. I shall see her on a regular basis, but am happy her needs are being met.
Excellent news! Thanks for clarifying re your meds - I'm sure I read your post from 28th Nov, but as it's a week ago, my brain doesn't retain information for that long! I'd say the problem is likely with the pharmacy - I've had wrong meds given to me before now; once they gave me capsules, when the script clearly said tablets (I can't have anything with gelatine in it) and one glorious time, back in the days when I was still taking co-codamol, they gave me the 8/500 tablets (that's 8 mg codeine + 500 mg paracetomol) instead of the 30/500 tablets that were on the script. I'd have laughed, except that the 8/500 wouldn't have even touched the pain! Now I check the contents of the package before I even leave the pharmacy, and if possible, I go when a particular pharmacist is on duty, as she knows me, knows what I have, and is efficient in what she does. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have getting hold of moclobemide when anyone else is dispensing!

I can't hang around today - Mr LW has a day's Annual Leave as it's his birthday. No "bought" pressies, just the MSE variety *waves to Hester*, and we've just made some sultana and spice cakes for his lunchbox; he's currently playing "Conflict: Desert Storm" on the PS2 while I do a quick check of my emails, so I must go and do that now.
LameWolf
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to LameWolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Butterfly Brain
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Afternoon All
I tried to post yesterday but the internet went down again
In my calendar yesterday was a sleigh and today a choo choo
We had a lot of snow in the early hours and DH said it was still snowing when he went to work.
He was late home because the traffic lights failed all over town and the traffic was atrocious, luckily he doesn't have to go near town to get home because all the M1 traffic had jumped off the motorway and were using the town as a bypass as usual But it still took him 45 minutes to do a 5 minute journey
The snow is still on the ground and unless it warms up considerably, I think it will stay all day. The temperature is set to plummet to -8 around here tonight

Topsy I was so pleased to hear that you got the job

Happy birthday Mr Wolfie

Dinner today is bacon roly poly done in the oven, because I found a non de-script bag full of bacon in the freezer that has been in there for a year, so I decided to use it.

BFN x
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - foraging fixers

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly Brain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
floss2
Old 05-12-2012, 1:39 PM

Thanks for those who've followed me on Twitter - I will have to start to tweet now!!

No snow on my bit of the Lancashire coast, bright & sunny at the moment although I'm sure that will change!

to those who'd like one

Floss x
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to floss2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
RosyRed
Old 05-12-2012, 2:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sounds like a good few of you have snow,do take care.Its a lovely day here but bloomin cold bbrrrr.
Must finish writing the cards soon and get them posted-had our first ,from friends in Australia.
I've got pork casserole in the slow cooker for tea,but doubt DS1 will have that -he's not keen on pork so he'll sort himself out,and DS will be out tonight.

Camelot-enjoy tonight,we saw them in Manchester a couple of years ago,they were great.
Anyway,must finish clearing my worktop in the kitchen,its full of clutter
xx
'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RosyRed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Judi
Old 05-12-2012, 2:19 PM

Those of you who have offered your Twitter id's or offered it in PM i thank you. I'll add you, when ive decided or not whether i'm staying.

I still say i'm not interesting enough to be followed though.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Goldiegirl
Old 05-12-2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
Its snowing here in Kent and laying slightly but not too bad,
You are in the same corner of the world as me. It was a suprise this morning to pull back the curtains and see the white stuff !

It's all more or less gone now, which is good as I'm at work tomorrow and Friday.

Have made a small start on the Christmas cards. I've realised why I'm not really in the mood to do them - it involves writing, and I always type things these days, I hardly ever write !
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Goldiegirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
camelot1001
Old 05-12-2012, 4:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Happy Birthday Mr LW

Topsy - Brilliant news re the job! Well done.

JackieO - glad you enjoyed Davy's visit, bet you're looking forward to him coming back. good to hear Shelley is making a good recovery.

Can't stop, concert to go to when we have had tea! Take care. XX
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camelot1001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Artytarty
Old 05-12-2012, 4:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone, I'm glad to read some good news updates from people.
As for me, we'll, mr Arty said something on his way out to work about the electricity bill being ridiculous. I think he said two hundred and something for the quarter. I was a bit sleepy so just grunted "oh how awful noises) but now it's bugging me. I know I'm here all day and the kitchen ash lots of lights but the rest of the house are nearly all the mse type and I don't go around with them all on. I'm wondering if the fairly elderly freezer may be to blame. Thoughts on that anyone?
Off out later to my local art club where a friend will be giving a brilliant watercolour demo. Can't wait but need to watch out for black ice on the roads tonight!
Norn Iron Club member 473

Last edited by Artytarty; 05-12-2012 at 4:54 PM. Reason: S
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Artytarty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
wuvvies
Old 05-12-2012, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

gutted that there is no snow for me. were in the fens and hardly ever get snow.
busy day at work today. all the prep done for tomorrows xmas lunch. have got some help tomorrow so it should be ok. hopefully thats the hard bit done.
was in the middle of making 150 biscuits yesterday when the environmental health officer appeared to do an annual check. great timing. my work kitchen is a little small to say the least. never mind. thats all out of the way for another year.
all i can say is roll on friday. xmas lunch will be over and i wont need to think about how many sausages i have!!
tea for me tonight is sausage and mash as its easy. tomorrow i will be putting beef and ale casserole in the slow cooker before i go to work as the last thing i will want to do tomorrow after 200 meals is cook my own lol
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wuvvies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
flutterbyuk25
Old 05-12-2012, 5:16 PM

Evening all

((((hugs)))) to all the poorlies
Molly - nail varnish, mini toilettries, fluffy socks, mini bottle of Baileys or similar (for the 18+'s)??
Camelot - oooh enjoy M&Sons!!

Freezing here, but no snow.

Well looks like my little chat with work kids worked yday. They were much better today! First off we went to a special needs school, and the children loved seeing them all! So lovely. Then to an infant school this afternoon. Glad they improved as due to my colleagues clerical error, we are double booked for tomorrow pm so have to split them in to two groups!

I'm off out tonight for a catch up meal with the uni girls, only 6 of us are going but should be nice.

OS wise - packed lunch made.......

Have a good evening all

x
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 257
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flutterbyuk25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
redruby
Old 05-12-2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly41 View Post

Also need to ask for opinions re funding for my operation? I have been turned down twice by the PCT for a neuro - transmitter to control my symptoms. Im not exceptional enough So instead I have decided to fund raise but have not a clue where to start?? Any ideas or pointers would be so appreciated from my OS friends xx
Molly, how much do you need to raise ? also have you worked in any kind of industry ? sometimes companies would help ex employees out, I believe Laura Ashley and boots both do. Otherwise you could try writting to large companies, a lot of them wont fund individuals but its worth a go.

Also raffles, jumble sales, sponsered anything, bake sales, etc, it will probably be a long slog, but so worth it for you xx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redruby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Hardup Hester
Old 05-12-2012, 7:01 PM

Evening all
TOPSY Well done on getting the job.
POOKY Hope DH will soon be on the mend.
DONNYG Have a safe trip home.
MOLLY Hugs, I can always donate a raffle prize
CAMELOT Enjoy your evening.
MIFFY Hugs
NLJ Hugs
JACKIO Glad your DB is ok.
Tru Thank you for the song
BB I agree with you on that.
LW Hope you didn't break the furniture.

Hugs to those I've missed, I'm a bit scatty as I'm deeply joyful today for 2 reasons, 1) We officially have 3 more DGC's they are now ours 'til they are 18 & beyond, 2) the Ex has finally been stopped from fraudulently claiming benefit, I tried to stop him by reporting him to no avail & I'm not saying how or who, but he's been stopped!!!
Have a good evening everyone.
Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hardup Hester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
Molly41
Old 05-12-2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruby View Post
Molly, how much do you need to raise ? also have you worked in any kind of industry ? sometimes companies would help ex employees out, I believe Laura Ashley and boots both do. Otherwise you could try writting to large companies, a lot of them wont fund individuals but its worth a go.

Also raffles, jumble sales, sponsered anything, bake sales, etc, it will probably be a long slog, but so worth it for you xx
Thanks for all your thoughts. It is a huge amount - approximately 18,000 privately and that was over a year ago

We could put it on our mortgage but Kid's Dad is not so keen. Dont get me wrong he would go to the ends of the earth for me but we can not jeopardise the roof over the kid's head

I was talking to the lady who does my nails and her husband is a banker. He has a watch on his christmas list that costs 19 grand. How the other half live x
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>