Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Greenfingered MoneySaving > Daydream thread continues..... (Page 310)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Daydream thread continues.....
Views: 290,173
# 6181
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrates View Post
Does Pete know he has a fan club?

Beautiful fencing. We'll never afford more than a top rail I think. But we will alsop run an electric line off the top of ours.
No, he hasn't an inkling, which is probably a Good Thing, as he's not the sort of person who'd seek publicity.

He's a 'do it all' farmer, and as such, an endangered species. Not many left who keep the 3 main four leggeds, grow their own feed and do forestry & fencing part-time. Oh, and he's trained in agri mechanics too.

We only have 3 rails down the side of our plot, where we see it a lot.
Remember that you're unique....just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6182
rozeepozee
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesnave View Post
Yes, it's from the neighbour's caravan advert.

The neighbour's house was up for sale some years ago. When it first hit the market, the extent of their garden land wasn't clear, so I was briefly interested. I'm not sure that it ever sold.

It was only when I looked at your place aerially that I worked out that you were 'next door neighbours' to the caravan house.
The static caravan neighbour's house is on the market ?again if it's the one you meant. I think they have an acre back garden

Beautiful fencing, Dave! I think we have "a Pete" type, the guy who put our fence up. He's a lovely bloke, a local farmer and contractor, and gets the job done at a reasonable price. Very busy, mind.

Last edited by rozeepozee; 05-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rozeepozee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6183
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozeepozee View Post
The static caravan neighbour's house is on the market ?again if it's the one you meant. I think they have an acre back garden
Beautiful fencing, Dave! I think we have "a Pete" type, the guy who put our fence up. He's a lovely bloke, a local farmer and contractor, and gets the job done at a reasonable price. Very busy, mind.
A wee bit less than an acre, I'd say, and a large chunk is pond.
Surely, if it was a great bargain, it would have sold by now?

I haven't quoted the link because you may want to remove it later. After years of not saying where anything is, Phillip Ling now supplies a map, which also shows pretty much where you are!

The Petes of this world will always be busy.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6184
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
No, he hasn't an inkling, which is probably a Good Thing, as he's not the sort of person who'd seek publicity.

He's a 'do it all' farmer, and as such, an endangered species. Not many left who keep the 3 main four leggeds, grow their own feed and do forestry & fencing part-time. Oh, and he's trained in agri mechanics too.

We only have 3 rails down the side of our plot, where we see it a lot.
The 'do it all' is pretty normal with smaller family farms, Dave. It has to be. It's one thing living in a beautiful area but ask any one of them & they'll tell you that you can't live off a beautiful view.

Around here they double as fencers, agricultural contractors, postmen, mechanics, bottled water producers, caterers &, of course, the old farmer's wife pin money job - holiday providers.

Keeping a family on the proceeds of a few hundred acres can be a precarious business which depends on the whims of weather, disease & market prices. Better to have another "steady" income to fall back on if necessary.

Pete's done a good job there. How come you've used full rounds & not halves? I'm guessing they came cheap?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6185
alfie 1
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM

hi all

this is not my week ! still probs with bayer !

my fuel is not coming today but now friday.... they have 2 drivers down and are working flat out..[one fell over on rubbish left by a customer beside her tank and fractured his leg.. ]

i have cracked a tooth which i found when i slurped my HOT cuppa this morning...

i have an airport run this afternoon so hope to get dentist app tomorow...no hot tea for me ...

mabel decided to go for a walk.. up the road.. i think someone had gone into paddock and RAN out taking fence with them !!?? a bucket of goodies coaxed her back....SLOWLY !
cars were passing with drivers laughing thier heads off...

anyway, it can only get better ??

CTC. at this rate im not gonna make friday but WILL get the shelving to you asap..

so peeps, hows your week?? gotta be better than mine

the guy that did our new horse fencing is great as well. straight as an arrow and he did a hell of a lot ! ruby demolished the old in places, doesnt know her own strength [but showed how they were just hanging in there....]

anyway..i am freezing here . and desperate for a cuppa so am looking for a straw ...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to alfie 1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6186
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM

In other news, citizens of Torrington, fed up with the publicity and attention Verity has generated for Ilfracombe, have commissioned their own sculpture, Taddiport Tiffany.

Powered by a cleverly hidden solar panel in her skull, Tiffany has a sensor which detects body heat and interacts with any human (or badger) who comes within 5 metres.

So far, she only says, "Does my bum look big in bronze?" but it is hoped that Lottery funding will soon enable her to be equipped with a more sophisticated repertoire chip.

Can't you just tell I'm very bored, sitting in here doing Christmas letters on a lovely (cold) morning?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6187
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itismehonest View Post
Pete's done a good job there. How come you've used full rounds & not halves? I'm guessing they came cheap?
They are halves. Optical illusion?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6188
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Whilst on your news search did you see this one, Dave?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20608628

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6189
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
They are halves. Optical illusion?
Sorry. Yep, must be the angle. I thought it was very strange (to say nothing of less secure) to use full rounds.
# 6190
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie 1 View Post
hi all

my fuel is not coming today but now friday.... they have 2 drivers down and are working flat out..[one fell over on rubbish left by a customer beside her tank and fractured his leg.. ]

i have cracked a tooth which i found when i slurped my HOT cuppa this morning...

i have an airport run this afternoon so hope to get dentist app tomorow...no hot tea for me ...

mabel decided to go for a walk.. up the road.. i think someone had gone into paddock and RAN out taking fence with them !!?? a bucket of goodies coaxed her back....SLOWLY !

CTC. at this rate im not gonna make friday but WILL get the shelving to you asap..

the guy that did our new horse fencing is great as well. straight as an arrow and he did a hell of a lot ! ruby demolished the old in places, doesnt know her own strength [but showed how they were just hanging in there....]

anyway..i am freezing here . and desperate for a cuppa so am looking for a straw ...
Oh
Can't you collect some fuel, alfie? As per an earlier discussion.

My week ....... as per normal. Haven't even been outside since last Wednesday.

Had quite a few hailstorms yesterday - some laid rather like snow for a while. Today is brighter but there may be some snow flurries ....... or so they say.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6191
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

No, but I remember the dinosaur and was sorry to see him go.

You'll notice that we are bang up to date with our metric measures around these parts.
# 6192
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to COOLTRIKERCHICK

Quote:
A wee bit less than an acre, I'd say, and a large chunk is pond.
Surely, if it was a great bargain, it would have sold by now?

I haven't quoted the link because you may want to remove it later. After years of not saying where anything is, Phillip Ling now supplies a map, which also shows pretty much where you are!

The Petes of this world will always be busy.
I was going to say this too, think its best Rozee to remove the link
daydream fund total ..........not enough....lol...
PAD ....SO FAR 349.07 (24-3-14)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to COOLTRIKERCHICK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6193
rozeepozee
Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie 1 View Post
hi all

Oh, I'm sorry, Alf. I hate to laugh at misfortune,but you make it sound hilarious!

That sculpture looks very happy, Dave
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rozeepozee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6194
rozeepozee
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK View Post
I was going to say this too, think its best Rozee to remove the link
Wrth cwrs. 'Tis no longer...
# 6195
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 1:02 PM

Quote:
No, but I remember the dinosaur and was sorry to see him go.

You'll notice that we are bang up to date with our metric measures around these parts.
Have they stopped using yards in other parts of the country then? I think my last trip outside of the county was in 2010 & I can't say I noticed one way or another.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6196
rozeepozee
Old 05-12-2012, 1:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Have they stopped using yards in other parts of the country then? I think my last trip outside of the county was in 2010 & I can't say I noticed one way or another.
MY OH gets a bit confused by the bilingual signs and finds it hard to find his way about LOL! He thinks they should put the English first. Which as you can imagine would go down a bomb with my Nash friends
# 6197
RAS
Old 05-12-2012, 1:21 PM

Quote:

I wonder what this Council would make of a sign in local village during the scarecrow festival?

The lollypop had been covered with golden fabric to form a halo, the small sign extended with a stout stick and wreathed in sacking gathered at the "waist" with an old leather belt. Cannot remember if there was a head?

The theme was pop songs and it raised a lot of laughs as well a wry smiles of appreciation for utility and simplicity.
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing

Last edited by RAS; 05-12-2012 at 6:22 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6198
rhiwfield
Old 05-12-2012, 1:34 PM

Goodness, you've been busy posting this morning!

Tiffany looks very lissome, for a bronze sculpture

Busy morning for us, with DS1 at station for 0715, followed by a trip to a cartographer and map comparisons with 17thC originals. Looks like we are the proud, if temporary, owners of 4 x 17th Century maps . If only condition were better, but I'll take originality over condition most days.

Got back to find 2 cheques in the post, so its turning out ok so far this week
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rhiwfield For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6199
Itismehonest
Old 05-12-2012, 1:49 PM

Congrats, rhiwie!
It sounds like you're having alfie's good luck for the week as well as your own.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Itismehonest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6200
Davesnave
Old 05-12-2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiwfield View Post
Tiffany looks very lissome, for a bronze sculpture
Actually, now I look properly, I think she may be copper-bottomed.

I rather liked her devil-may-care pose, compared with Verity's rather stern appearance.

It certainly pays to keep active around here. Let the grass grow under your feet and you might end up like Torrington's other sculpture babe, Tonya, who suffered much the same fate as the 'Lady from Leeds' of limerick fame. A warning to us all, I think.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Davesnave For This Useful Post: Show me >>