Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > About MSE > How much have you saved? > Have you saved money? Want to tell the world? (Page 7)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Have you saved money? Want to tell the world?
Views: 89,162
# 121
Thamesmeadhammer
Old 28-11-2011, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just saved £80 on my contents insurance after 10 minutes work and free phone call.
Thing is it's with the same people "Barclays" who after I rung them only offered a £20 discount and £20 M & S but I went online and got extra items like legal cover, burst pipes cover etc....
All thanks to MSE !!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Thamesmeadhammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 122
sparrer
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Gas and elec bills arrived recently. Thanks to all the hints and tips, many of which I've put into practice, I've overpaid and will be getting a £240 refund between them. Now perhaps friends won't laugh so much at my bubble wrapped windows and cardboard wrapped foil behind the radiators
I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal £3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha
The Following User Says Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 123
mummy2008
Old 07-03-2012, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default car insurance savings

Hi all, we recently had our car insurance renewal thru from Tesco, only to find it had gone up by nearly £200 to a whopping £1106 (this is for 3rd party fire and theft for me aged 25 with 8yrs no claims and my partner aged 23 who passed his test last may). We followed martins advice and rang our company to query this even asking for quotes for different policies which actually made the price worse. So we then searched all the compare sites and aviva and direct line, trying different combo's (i.e fully comp, excess, mileage) to find on moneysupermarket our cheapest quote - £511 from Tesco for fully comp which included everything except breakdown cover! That had already saved us £595! We rang Tesco and gave them the reference number from moneysupermarket explaining how angry we were that earlier that day they had quoted us for the same policy but at a stupid price! The lady then gave us a 'clubcard discount' on top of the price we had found (why was this not offered earlier?) to knock the price down again! Our new price is £385 saving us £721! Thank you Martin!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2008 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 124
kash2nice
Old 14-05-2012, 10:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I saved £150 on gas bill last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to kash2nice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 125
makenix20
Old 25-05-2012, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I saved a lot

I have Norton Internet Security for my laptop and main back up computer and it is shortly to run out and as such i planned to give Symantec a call this week and see what was the best price they could give me for another year as i have been with them for the past few years.

Before i could do so the subscription was automatically renewed which happens about two weeks before end date and as a consequence i gave them a call and spoke to one of their customer service staff who was very helpful.

I explained what i was calling about and because i was kept hanging on for some time and his system was slow i was given an immediate one month extra as a courtesy for the inconvenience which i thought was pretty good.
Wait there is more as i asked about being a good customer for a number of years and was then given a 50% discount and six months free cover which means that i have nineteen months for £19.99 which is a pretty good deal.
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to makenix20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 126
aideng
Old 27-06-2012, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've managed to cut my monthly fix costs by 50 pounds this years so far mostly because of my gym and the gas and electric bill
Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.
The Following User Says Thank You to aideng For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 127
Thirdstream
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default adrian jill

Hello,

Yes, i have saved money by using credit union financial service its really amazing and help only for saving my money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thirdstream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 128
steveproxy
Old 12-07-2012, 5:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes , I've saved quite some money .
The Following User Says Thank You to steveproxy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 129
daveyjp
Old 22-07-2012, 9:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Brasher walking boots for £50 from Go Outdoors, direct e-mail offer only. Cheapest when I price checked to try and get them to price promise for a further 10% off, was about £90.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
The Following User Says Thank You to daveyjp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 130
danj1400
Old 05-09-2012, 5:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

YES, I have saved quiet enough money for my car.money saving expert helped me a lot for managing my salary and saving monthly.
The Following User Says Thank You to danj1400 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 131
stella morthem
Old 05-09-2012, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm new to the site but the information that I have read so far is really helpful.

Thanks guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to stella morthem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 132
mandatory
Old 05-09-2012, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Since my dad's health isn't great and he is quite useless at managing his finances he has left insurance policies for me to deal with. Today I managed to switch his home insurance to the Post Office, saving him almost £100 on his renewal price! And I also bagged 1,000 Nectar points for myself! I also saved myself £4 off a £10 shop using vouchers on things that I would usually buy, so I'm very happy today!
The Following User Says Thank You to mandatory For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 133
sams247
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Since joining this site xx amount of time ago I have saved in so many ways, and not least this site has, on more than one occasion, saved my sanity! I was directed here many moons ago by a debt advisor, and I have never looked back. At that time I was desperate, hounded by people I owed money too, drowning in further debt, it was all closing in and was having a huge negative effect, I didnt know what to do, I certainly had no clue as to my rights and I had no voice against the bullies phoning me day after day.

I read and learnt on here, I spoke to people, asked questions, and over the months I started to turn things around for myself. I eventually went bankrupt, but this was the right thing for me to do, and I did it with an open view, with a lot of help and support and I knew exactly what to do and what to expect at each stage.

I have saved on insurance, on holidays countless times, on food many many times, on utlitiies. In fact I barely make a financial decision, or even a home/life decision without being sure I know the best step forward - and I come on here to research.

I must have saved hundreds and hundreds of pounds. But more than that I have started to become a real life saver - I have small but significant savings in a little ISA, and I have a savings pot with all my £2 coins in that pay for my holidays along with my ebay sales (I dont go on holiday until I can pay for it - no credit!) And I am rebuilding my credit rating. I am sorting out a pension.

My life has truly taken a better path since coming here, and I am very grateful for that debt advisor so long ago, and to everyone on here who supports, posts and seeks out those nifty little bargains.

For those who believe, no proof in necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Sealed Pot #87 Virtual Sealed Pot #126
£365 in 365 days #23 £20/£365
LTW #11 2/18
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sams247 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 134
bellaanderson
Old 12-10-2012, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

such a informative conversation this is..! keep it up people
The Following User Says Thank You to bellaanderson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 135
johnkt71
Old 15-10-2012, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default saving on new tv and galaxy note

Just bought a galaxy note and smart tv with stand and a blu ray player used several combined discounts think I done well firstly I get10% off currys cos nephew works there so what I did was did a bit of research on my purchases seen tv it had £150 off its price in currys blu ray was £40 off and got 25%off stand for tv becauseI bought tv and blu ray which saved me £28 then got£100 cashback from Samsung also but then I went to Morrison's and got giftcards I got 1230 pounds worth of gift cards which I split between two transactions but can be used together when redeeming them don't drive so gave them to brother in law he has saved 70 litres @1.23= £ 86.10 also changed from sky referred girlfriend to virgin media she got 1st month free and 6 month half price I got £50 for referring her her so I think I did quite well lol my discount at curry was£140 thanks to my nephew and I got the first month covet on insurance for free which I will cancel anyway and extra tenner cos I was short and free delivery
The Following User Says Thank You to johnkt71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 136
sweetilemon
Old 27-11-2012, 9:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Had a 30 day virgin rolling phone contract... £15 for 500mins, 1GB web & unlimited texts. Saw a deal on their website, £12 for 1200mins, 1GB web and unlimited texts. I phoned them (free) and they changed the deal over! Saved £3pm and have more mins! Yey.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetilemon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 137
GEEBEEF
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Thank you!

Just want to say thanks - I thought I wasn't able to reclaim PPI as I was self employed for a time.I heard Martin on a radio show and realised I might have a claim - I'm now £6,500 better off! I receive the weekly newsletter and have just purchased the Body Shop bundle at an amazing price - thanks to your blagged discount deal.Merry Christmas to you all!
# 138
david silva
Old 29-12-2012, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default saved money

I have saved 250$ which i refund from my company.
# 139
jenstar.superstar
Old 13-01-2013, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just bought a new mobile contract with vodafone and used the following savings;
£70 cashback with quidco
3.6% cashback on Monthly payments with quidco
20% off monthly payments with my work company
50% extra off monthly payments for the 1st 3 months (vouchercode)
and an extra 10% off as i'm a student!
# 140
Lipzzy
Old 07-02-2013, 6:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cheers Martin! Followed your golden rule - don't auto renew on car insurance. Did a comparison (confused.com) and saved a whopping £541!! and got 2000 nectar points for the pleasure woooooooohoooooooo!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lipzzy For This Useful Post: Show me >>