Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > PayPal sent me a strange email today, or could it... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PayPal sent me a strange email today, or could it be scam?
Views: 2,500
# 1
BertieUK
Old 04-12-2012, 5:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question PayPal sent me a strange email today, or could it be scam?

I received an email from PayPal, they claim, with the following content.

I am not going to follow the instruction of downloading anything as I feel uncomfortable especially when I use my account regularly. Any advice would be welcome than you

Regards
Bob

We need your help resolving an issue with your account :

Dear ,

To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account.we want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible.

What's the problem ?

It's been a little while since you used your account.For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some more information about your account.

Case number: PP-001-107-777-703

It's usually quite straight forward to take care of these things.Most of the time, we just need some more information about your account! or latest transactions.

1.Download the attached document and open it in a browser window secure.2.Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions

Thank you for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely, Protection Services Department.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
KxMx
Old 04-12-2012, 5:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Scam, it doesn't address you by name I presume? And mentions you haven't used your account in a while when you know that's false?

All you have to do to check is open a new internet tab, search for Paypal via google and log-on to your account that way.

I bet all will be fine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KxMx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
BertieUK
Old 04-12-2012, 5:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KxMx View Post
Scam, it doesn't address you by name I presume? And mentions you haven't used your account in a while when you know that's false?

All you have to do to check is open a new internet tab, search for Paypal via google and log-on to your account that way.

I bet all will be fine
They did not address me by name, what I have posted is exactly what I received.

Being a pensioner things like this can be scary, but I will follow your advice.

Kind regards
Bob

Where do they get my email address from I wonder?

Last edited by BertieUK; 04-12-2012 at 5:50 PM.
# 4
KxMx
Old 04-12-2012, 5:40 PM

PayPal always addresses customers by name for exactly this reason, as does eBay.

The scammers/phishers send out these mails to thousands of addresses, knowing at some point they will reach someone with an account, just like the banking ones.

I know they can be scary but just delete them.

In time you'll be able to spot them from just the subject line and won't even need to open them before deleting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KxMx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
challengedavid
Old 04-12-2012, 6:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i get them daily, as long as you log in via the proper site you will see no problems here is one i recieved the other day

Dear PayPal user,

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card payment attempt
associated with this account. To protect you against any further unauthorised
payment attempts, we've limited access to your PayPal account. Please take
a minute to review the details below and what steps you need to take to
remove the limits.

-----------------------------------
Details of disputed transaction

Case ID Number: PP-001-546-712-069

What to do next

Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a web browser.
Once opened, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.
We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure your account safety.

Due dates

Please get back to us as soon as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to challengedavid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
MadelinesMum
Old 04-12-2012, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and they usually reply with an email telling you whether it's a scam or not.
Good luck
I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadelinesMum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
cestlavie
Old 04-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if they don't address you by yr full name it's the first indicator of a scam and i instantly send to spoof paypal people, however i've not had a reply from them in ages - maybe cos i must pass a scam on to them so often. the other way to tell is to find the source of the email, depending on how yr email works this is often quite easy to do, you'll get a page of generally convoluted words if you aren't a techie (which i'm not) but which you can decipher that the email was never sent direct from paypal, but by various other emails etc.

the second course of action i would take, if i was being overly cautious, would be to delete all my cookies, run a scan and then once it came back clear, i'd log into my paypal account which would then tell me a different story to the one the scam email was purporting to scare me of and scam me with etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to cestlavie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Goldiegirl
Old 04-12-2012, 8:47 PM

If it didn't address you by name in the body of the email it's a definate phishing attempt or scam.

It is unsettling to get those emails, but if you look out for tell tale signs like poor spelling and being addressed as Dear Customer, you can pick out the scams easily.

With PayPal I never click on a link from an email, I always type the web address into the browser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldiegirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
baggers02
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Anything that asks you to download something is dodgy.

Also a good way to check is if their is a link in the email hover the cursor over it and it will show the address the link will go to, normally its not paypal.com!

As mentioned in a previous post spoof@paypal.com are good at getting back to you as to the nature of the email.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baggers02 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mike6265
Old 20-12-2012, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just received an email exactly the same as in post 1

including Case number: 001-107-777-703

I opened the attachment but did not respond and have now deleted it. I have also run various scans.

Is there a chance of a virus in this? or is it just after me accessing passwords etc.

Mike

also have reported this to spoof@paypal.com

Last edited by mike6265; 20-12-2012 at 1:54 PM. Reason: extra note
The Following User Says Thank You to mike6265 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
BertieUK
Old 20-12-2012, 3:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6265 View Post
I have just received an email exactly the same as in post 1

including Case number: 001-107-777-703

I opened the attachment but did not respond and have now deleted it. I have also run various scans.

Is there a chance of a virus in this? or is it just after me accessing passwords etc.

Mike

also have reported this to spoof@paypal.com
Exactly as I did except I did not take the chance on opening the email.

I would run a Full Scan on your system just to be sure that a virus was not present.

What did the E-mail contain?
# 12
mike6265
Old 20-12-2012, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

A PayPal Log in page.

Nothing came up on the scans.
# 13
BertieUK
Old 20-12-2012, 9:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6265 View Post

A PayPal Log in page.

Nothing came up on the scans.
I would suggest that you follow the suggestions made on this thread and do not be tempted to enter any information on any account whether PayPal or any other.

The next time that you receive such an E-mail ie PayPay - log in to the site - and check for any changes that may refer to the question, within your Account, that was asked within the face of the E-mail.

Never open suspicious mail, bin it.
# 14
Hate scams
Old 04-01-2013, 1:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Credit card removed from Paypal account

Hi,
Yesterday I received an email from paypal telling me that my credit card had been removed - reasons given: expired, declined or reached limit and so asked me to ADD a new card!

I did not have a credit card registered with paypal and thought it could be a spoof email, so rang paypal direct today to be told that NO email had been sent to me! my suspicion was right. I forwarded the email I received to spoof@paypal.com.
# 15
challengedavid
Old 04-01-2013, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate scams View Post
Hi,
Yesterday I received an email from paypal telling me that my credit card had been removed - reasons given: expired, declined or reached limit and so asked me to ADD a new card!

I did not have a credit card registered with paypal and thought it could be a spoof email, so rang paypal direct today to be told that NO email had been sent to me! my suspicion was right. I forwarded the email I received to spoof@paypal.com.
i had the same email, but unusually it had my full name seems like they are getting better at the scam emails all the others i have received started " Dear , "

Last edited by challengedavid; 04-01-2013 at 2:42 PM.
# 16
BertieUK
Old 04-01-2013, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by challengedavid View Post
i had the same email, but unusually it had my full name seems like they are getting better at the scam emails all the others i have received started " Dear , "
There must be an end result for them I suppose, because their emails and type script are exactly as the real thing and that can throw even the best of us off guard.

I wonder how many innocent people get snared, I hate to say it but it would be people like myself, a pensioner or the needy. How low can they stoop, very low I guess.

Ignorance is bliss - Ignore anything that you are not 100% happy with err on the side of extreme caution, always.
The Following User Says Thank You to BertieUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
skellyness
Old 04-01-2013, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

definitely, I get them daily
# 18
CupOfChai
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's worth remembering that even if they do use your full name or other details, that still doesn't mean it is genuine. I recently had a Paypal scam email that was VERY convincing, best scam email I've ever seen.

I especially love the ones I get from the bank about problems with my accounts. I think I've had one from every single major bank except the one I am actually with