IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
JSA walked out of job
Closed Thread
Views: 1,389
# 1
pinki123
Old 03-12-2012, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default JSA walked out of job

My daughter has just walked out of her job it was a temporary Christmas one.
She was working at John Lewis call centre and the volume of abuse they have to take from customers is crazy. She was coming home upset.
Can she claim JSA?
I told her that she probably will not get any JSA for about 26 weeks is this correct? Because she left the job.
# 2
McKneff
Old 03-12-2012, 6:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

She will certainly be sanctioned for just walking and you are right, it is anywhere up to 26 weeks.

Better get on her bike tomorrow to look for another one.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
HappyMJ
Old 03-12-2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinki123 View Post
She was working at John Lewis call centre and the volume of abuse they have to take from customers is crazy. She was coming home upset.
Can she claim JSA?
I told her that she probably will not get any JSA for about 26 weeks is this correct? Because she left the job.
No not really correct. She can claim JSA whether she will get full payment depends on the circumstances. If she alerted management to the abusive phone calls and management refused to do anything then she may have a reasonable cause for leaving. If they don't agree then whether she will get a part payment depends on her circumstances. If she has no money whatsoever then she can get what is known as a hardship payment which will just be enough to buy basic food and enough to pay the most essential bills and no more. If you provide everything for her then they may decide that you can support her in which case you can refuse to so she can get some payment but I doubt any parent really would.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
crabyducky
Old 03-12-2012, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMJ View Post
No not really correct. She can claim JSA whether she will get full payment depends on the circumstances. If she alerted management to the abusive phone calls and management refused to do anything then she may have a reasonable cause for leaving. If they don't agree then whether she will get a part payment depends on her circumstances. If she has no money whatsoever then she can get what is known as a hardship payment which will just be enough to buy basic food and enough to pay the most essential bills and no more. If you provide everything for her then they may decide that you can support her in which case you can refuse to so she can get some payment but I doubt any parent really would.
dosent hardship payments only apply after 2 weeks though
MoneySpendingExpert
# 5
jobseeking help
Old 03-12-2012, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinki123 View Post
Can she claim JSA?
My advice is start the claim as soon as possible - tonight - go to gov.uk.
I would not necessarily start assuming the worse just yet. It does very much depend on what information you give at the new claim stage and how it is phrased.
Make sure you make it clear it was temporary work and when the job was due to end. Include detail about the difficulties about the job. If your daughter is young that may well be taken into consideration.
It could well be that the JCP staff at the new claim stage will just let it go.

Hope it's not as bleak as it seems now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jobseeking help For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Sharon87
Old 03-12-2012, 8:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would definitely make sure to tell them it was a temporary Christmas job. Or she can start her claim the day she was due to finish her job, then there shouldn't really be a problem. When was she due to finish? If Christmas, then can she wait a few more weeks to claim?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
gibson123
Old 03-12-2012, 8:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Also get your daughter to visit her doctor, if your daughter has been suffering anxiety because of the job, this could also be taken into account.
The Following User Says Thank You to gibson123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
iaintw
Old 03-12-2012, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Their is a lot of problems with her job and she has the right to tell the manager of the call centre. She also have the right to contact her boss for genvience (under the employment laws you have the right to use your right to raise the problem.)
Many customers are kind and some of them a abusive
the walk out can cause the company do a dispinary hearing to your daughter and she have the right to have a colleague or a member of your family to support her.
# 9
jobseeking help
Old 03-12-2012, 8:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon87 View Post
I would definitely make sure to tell them it was a temporary Christmas job. Or she can start her claim the day she was due to finish her job, then there shouldn't really be a problem. When was she due to finish? If Christmas, then can she wait a few more weeks to claim?
Sorry that won't necessarily help. If she states that she in effect 'left voluntarily' ( in JCP sanction speak LV) then the sanction - 13 weeks I think now - would commence from the day that she left the job.

This is worse case scenario.

I could not possibly condone anything but telling the truth - after all it is fact that every JSA claimant tells the truth all the time.
# 10
CCFC_80
Old 04-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
She will certainly be sanctioned for just walking and you are right, it is anywhere up to 26 weeks.

Better get on her bike tomorrow to look for another one.
Not true at all, every case like this is looked at by an independent adjudicating officer. The fact that the role was temporary and only likely to last upto xmas will go in the OP's favour as they look at how long the job is going to last when leaving a role voluntarily.

Also note to the OP, did you have a description of your duties given to you by the employer/agency that offered you the role. If you believe that you were mislead you could always tell the JSA this that the role was not what you expected or what you agreed.

Also good advice from another poster about seeing a doctor and getting a doctors note to cover the anxiety and stress

Last edited by CCFC_80; 04-12-2012 at 7:10 PM.
# 11
duchy
Old 04-12-2012, 9:42 PM

She was "coming home upset" ? Not upset at work then ?

I remember working with the boss from hell .....My Mum told me of course I could leave anytime -but needed to find another job first....... in your situation I suspect she'd have said " It's only a temp job -grit your teeth and get on with it. It's John Lewis for goodness sake how bad can it be?

Perhaps some assertiveness classes might help-she can't quit every time someone is sharp with her -in the workplace it happens sometimes.
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Old 05-12-2012, 1:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You shouldn't have to... We work to live, we don't live to work. We should work hard but we shouldn't have to be exploited or suffer to that extent over a job!

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 05-12-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
# 13
duchy
Old 05-12-2012, 9:21 AM

Thing is I feel exploited.

I go to work and sometimes have to deal with less than happy smiley people but as a grown up I deal with it -and I certainly don't expect to be supporting someone in benefits from my taxes who cba doing the same thing.

So who is getting exploited again ?
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
The Following User Says Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread