Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here (Page 43)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here
Views: 381,075
# 841
createbeauty
Old 16-11-2012, 2:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have had these calls from Optical Express and when I said I was not interested I felt like the caller was trying to bully me! The caller kept huffing at me asking why I did not want to be entered into a competition to win free eye surgery and was not satisfied when I told them I just DID NOT WANT IT!

And I get several texts a month from Optical Express telling me I can text STOP to stop receiving the texts... why do I need to use my credit up to stop spam?

If anyone asks me about Optical Express I'll point them in the direction of this thread.
A huge thank you to everyone who contributes positively to these forums!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 842
OpticalExpress representative
Old 16-11-2012, 4:12 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxxize View Post
I'm sorry but what aload of tosh, did you actually read my post , my friend is 'blind in one eye' and has been called a number of times over the past 12months no matter how many times she tells your people in the call centers she doesn't jolly well want stupid eye surgery they keep on calling back, is your company completely heartless phoning a person with blindness in one eye and going on about laser eye surgery ! , I know for a fact she didn't enter a competition for laser eye surgery ,why would she it would be of no use! unless optical express are going to put her a new eye in. i know for a fact i didn't either ( i have great eyesight) so why would i enter a competition for eye surgery , your dodgy company have got our details from another competitions we entered.
sorry forum users i'm off topic, rant over.
Hi,

Im sorry to hear about you and your friends experience. It is certainly not what we aspire to as one of the UKs leading opticians. If you can email me at customerfeedback@opticalexpress.com with both you and your friends details I will ensure that you are removed from any future communication from us.

Thanks,

Lynsey Shaw
Optical Express - Head of Customer Care
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Optical Express. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 843
OpticalExpress representative
Old 16-11-2012, 4:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by createbeauty View Post
I have had these calls from Optical Express and when I said I was not interested I felt like the caller was trying to bully me! The caller kept huffing at me asking why I did not want to be entered into a competition to win free eye surgery and was not satisfied when I told them I just DID NOT WANT IT!

And I get several texts a month from Optical Express telling me I can text STOP to stop receiving the texts... why do I need to use my credit up to stop spam?

If anyone asks me about Optical Express I'll point them in the direction of this thread.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your comments and I am sorry to hear about your experience. As I have said above, if you or anyone within this thread is receiving calls or SMS and do not wish to receive them, please email me at customerfeedback@opticalexpress.com and we will remove you from our database.

Thanks,

Lynsey Shaw
Optical Express - Head of Customer Care
I am the official company representative of Optical Express. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 844
utopiandream
Old 18-11-2012, 8:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

info on twitter scams http://www.lockergnome.com/social/20...est-red-flags/
write down & number competitions you do & youll see that your lucky if u win even 1 thing in 4000 ! ps if u find an error with a comp tell the site running the comp cheers
# 845
artydoll
Old 26-11-2012, 1:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just had a phone call from a guy who said he was frpm Visa..... said I had won 200 for using my Visa card.
He asked me to verify my address ,which I did,then wanted me to give him my 16 digit card number,I said no ,he said he wanted to verify my number,he already had it,So I said give me the first 4 digits,which he did ,they were wrong
at this time I told him I wasnt interested and hung up
He phoned back and still asked to verify the card no,which I wouldnt do,I said if you already have my card no ,put the money into my account,he said he cant do that as he might be talking to the wrong person,I put the phone down at this point.
He sounded so positive and thought i was going to give out my card no to him,kept saying he was legit
Now I did give my address to him,is this ok?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artydoll For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 846
claireyx
Old 29-11-2012, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Watch out for candy store bingo on fb, ran an ipad comp, said would be given to most active user when get 1000 likes - instead went to a woman who only joined fb after comp was announced, and only has 7 friends, one of whom is the boss at Candy Store Bingo !!! Now are saying they made some mistakes and have blocked me from posting on their fb page as i pointed out it was a scam.

Funnily enough, the woman who won posted the comp on here! And joined and posted it in the same day. What a coincidence!
2013 wins
120, FIORELLI handbag, 100 Love2Shop vouchers, 90 make up bundle, Ipad Mini, beauty products x4, necklace, false eyelashes

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet" - Albert Schweitzer
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to claireyx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 847
claireyx
Old 29-11-2012, 11:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

And i stupidly got a lot of my friends on fb to like the page to help me, put a lot of effort in and got them over 150 likes. So if you liked it as a favour to me, i'm sorry!
2013 wins
120, FIORELLI handbag, 100 Love2Shop vouchers, 90 make up bundle, Ipad Mini, beauty products x4, necklace, false eyelashes

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet" - Albert Schweitzer
The Following User Says Thank You to claireyx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 848
createbeauty
Old 29-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I didn't know it was the boss of the store who won! I know it definitely should've been you, hon!
I saw the post they made earlier about stopping all competitions until they get professional advice.
# 849
claireyx
Old 29-11-2012, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well its 'julie cook' - but the fact she only joined fb just after the comp was announced and one of her 7 fb friends is the boss at candy store bingo makes me v suspicious!

I love all this 'we are getting professional advice'
'We are looking into how we run our competitions' - LOL Just don't scam people! I think they should get me an ipad just to say sorry haha
2013 wins

# 850
createbeauty
Old 29-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireyx View Post
Well its 'julie cook' - but the fact she only joined fb just after the comp was announced and one of her 7 fb friends is the boss at candy store bingo makes me v suspicious!

I love all this 'we are getting professional advice'
'We are looking into how we run our competitions' - LOL Just don't scam people! I think they should get me an ipad just to say sorry haha
Even if you did win, there was no guarantee the iPad would show up! lol
# 851
MsBooty
Old 30-11-2012, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireyx View Post
Watch out for candy store bingo on fb, ran an ipad comp, said would be given to most active user when get 1000 likes - instead went to a woman who only joined fb after comp was announced, and only has 7 friends, one of whom is the boss at Candy Store Bingo !!! Now are saying they made some mistakes and have blocked me from posting on their fb page as i pointed out it was a scam.

Funnily enough, the woman who won posted the comp on here! And joined and posted it in the same day. What a coincidence!
Does anyone have the link to their FB - as I will dislike if I have liked. I found their website but when you click on their Facebook link it just takes you to your own Facebook, so maybe they have left facebook
# 852
claireyx
Old 30-11-2012, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBooty View Post
Does anyone have the link to their FB - as I will dislike if I have liked. I found their website but when you click on their Facebook link it just takes you to your own Facebook, so maybe they have left facebook
yes looks like they have deleted the fb following me reporting them.
2013 wins

# 853
Druzylu
Old 11-12-2012, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Won year's free electricity from Scottish Power - scam?

I am not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I just got a call saying I had won a year's free electricity from Scottish Power, from a competition I apparently entered a while ago. I can't remember having entered this, but hey, who knows - I have entered a few competitions online before. They don't seem to want any details from me other than my current provider and price plan. I don't want to give them any details if it is a scam, but also don't want to pass up on free electricity if it is legit! I've asked the guy to call me back at 2pm tomorrow. Has anyone had any similar calls, or been lucky enough to have actually, legitimately won such a competition?
# 854
mije1983
Old 11-12-2012, 9:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druzylu View Post
I am not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I just got a call saying I had won a year's free electricity from Scottish Power, from a competition I apparently entered a while ago. I can't remember having entered this, but hey, who knows - I have entered a few competitions online before. They don't seem to want any details from me other than my current provider and price plan. I don't want to give them any details if it is a scam, but also don't want to pass up on free electricity if it is legit! I've asked the guy to call me back at 2pm tomorrow. Has anyone had any similar calls, or been lucky enough to have actually, legitimately won such a competition?
Maybe worth sending a PM to the Scottish Power rep on here to see if they can confirm either way.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=773243

# 855
scottishpower company representative
Old 12-12-2012, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Druzylu please e-mail details to onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com It sounds like a call from one of our sales teams. Will check about the competition. Thanks David
I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 856
mjm3346
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Nothing to add, just want to get the user name above off the index to see if it stops the whole page being squashed up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mjm3346 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 857
NeilSt
Old 31-12-2012, 3:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

a site called UKprize.co.uk ??? what's that all about??
# 858
lilias
Old 31-12-2012, 8:30 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSt View Post
a site called UKprize.co.uk ??? what's that all about??

"Ukprize.co.uk collects demographic (information about you, such as name, age and address), lifestyle (information about your interests and purchasing habits) and answers to specific questions asked by ukprize.co.uk, its clients or sponsors. This data is used by ukprize.co.uk and carefully selected third parties to send you by, email, SMS, voice, post or other appropriate means, communications about their products or services."

"The data we collect using your browsing pattern may be sold (or otherwise passed on) to our clients and carefully selected third parties. "
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilias For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 859
NeilSt
Old 02-01-2013, 3:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilias View Post
"Ukprize.co.uk collects demographic (information about you, such as name, age and address), lifestyle (information about your interests and purchasing habits) and answers to specific questions asked by ukprize.co.uk, its clients or sponsors. This data is used by ukprize.co.uk and carefully selected third parties to send you by, email, SMS, voice, post or other appropriate means, communications about their products or services."

"The data we collect using your browsing pattern may be sold (or otherwise passed on) to our clients and carefully selected third parties. "
so it's a marketing company or like myoffers.co.uk?

Hmmmm
# 860
NeilSt
Old 02-01-2013, 3:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilias View Post

i thought I might have been phished
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilSt For This Useful Post: Show me >>