Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    • 8,100Posts
    • 42,226Thanks
    MSE Martin
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
    • 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged 30th Jan 05 at 11:58 PM
    Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to 1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

MSE UPDATE OCT 2013: Many paid-to-enter competitions now cost more to enter. We've asked Competitions Board users the limit they feel is appropriate in this poll and have increased the maximum cost to 2.10. Please remember we don't encourage forum users to spend money on competitions but if you still feel you absolutely must enter these competitions then that's fine.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-10-2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 19
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Oct 12, 9:32 AM
    • 7,817 Posts
    • 19,606 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Sorry, this wasn't meant to cause confusion.

We had reports of people grumbling that merge requests weren't being done and when we looked there was indeed criticism of one BG in particular for not having merged some threads (now removed as it's obviously not appropriate).

We definitely don't want to make BGs' lives harder and we weren't aware people didn't do this as standard.

The idea of a special Merges sticky is a great one. Whatever helps keep the board running smoothly and makes BGs' lives easier is fine. I'll leave that up to the board guides to sort if they agree.

Have a good day
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-10-2012 at 9:35 AM. Reason: smilies are good but doesn't need two!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dalkirst
    • By Dalkirst 15th Oct 12, 9:39 AM
    • 8,518 Posts
    • 313,512 Thanks
    Dalkirst
    sorry

I had a few already done too, being the weekend we've probably been online a few times, and also only a few posters are doing the 'send to all BGs'

imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged
    Originally posted by Glad
    Don't be Glad i'm sure i've merged some that you got too
    Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
    • OnceUponADream
    • By OnceUponADream 15th Oct 12, 9:47 AM
    • 14,207 Posts
    • 386,974 Thanks
    OnceUponADream
    OK BG's up to you - sticky or as we normally do?
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Big thanks to all competition posters
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 15th Oct 12, 3:42 PM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 68,842 Thanks
    Blulu
    Thanks for clearing that up MSE Andrea. Wot a relief. Defo leave it to the BGs to decide whether to keep as is or go for a Merge thread. Just want to throw one more thought in the pot for you to consider. If you did choose to go for a merge/move thread, once you had sorted a request, you could remove it, so that only live requests remained. In that way, you might see a number of requests and decide to do some of them, leaving the others for the next BG to sort. Meanwhile, we would clearly see when a request hadn't been dealt with yet. Just a thought, but happy with whatever you go for.

Sincere thanks for your hard work in making the forum run smoothly
    I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening - Larry King
    • Dalkirst
    • By Dalkirst 15th Oct 12, 4:04 PM
    • 8,518 Posts
    • 313,512 Thanks
    Dalkirst
    Well i'm happy how things run at the moment but if the users want it this other way then i'm sure i'd get used to it sooner or later
    Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 15th Oct 12, 4:11 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 43,625 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    I always like the saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
    #TeamCarter
  • xangeleyes
    What about getting the top 5 who send merge requests (Weeowens, One-Eye, Katie-L etc) to have permission to merge when they see them instead of sending them to BG?

If they didn't mind of course.
    They see A LOT of Dupes and are always sending of merges. Just thought it might be easier?

If not, why change something if the BG's are happy with the way things work?
    Thank you to everyone!

Officially addicted to Comping
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 31st Oct 12, 3:10 PM
    • 131,405 Posts
    • 3,448,648 Thanks
    fire**fly
    skip button
    Site Feedback(18 Viewing)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=56904915#post56904915

'What day is it?' asked Pooh 'It's today' squeaked Piglet, 'My favorite day' said Pooh
    ━☆.*・。゚*
    • zoe1984
    • By zoe1984 1st Nov 12, 8:48 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    zoe1984
    Loving the new red X button!
    Would it be possibelt to also have a green tick button. I know there is one inside the thread but I do sometimes forget to pick it once I have entered.
    • angelflower
    • By angelflower 1st Nov 12, 6:31 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    angelflower
    there is below the reply box
    Previous Thread | Next Thread
    Originally posted by blackmidnight

I have been hear YEARS and no clue thats what that did
  • londonlass1
    if it's not too complicated, the ideal would be tick for done, skip for something you want to go back on later (perhaps ie comp not loading) and x for not interested in
    Originally posted by cornishpasty1
    absolutely agree great idea
  • gaynor0209
    A skip button would be brilliant - does that mean the post would me minimised? I don't want to scroll through lots of posts (e.g. I don't do any FB comps) Thanks
    • priorslee
    • By priorslee 10th Nov 12, 12:05 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 330,950 Thanks
    priorslee
    if it's not too complicated, the ideal would be tick for done, skip for something you want to go back on later (perhaps ie comp not loading) and X for not interested in
    There is a sort of DIY-method of doing this:
    green tick = entered
    red X = not interested
    Both = come back to later (eg comp not loading)

Thanks to MSE for putting the skip button on the thread page - this makes it much more usable, although I'm finding it quite frequently has spells when the button doesn't work (click it, but it sticks in waiting mode).
    • bottay
    • By bottay 15th Nov 12, 4:44 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    bottay
    lOVING THE SKIP BUTTON
    2013: Swarovski notebook Bad Grandpa Preview SPa Discovery Munchkins Set Private Screening of Safe Haven at The Mayfair GHD's (missed) 2x Tickets to Safe Haven 2x Tickets to Micky Flannagan at Wembley Arena! A Months Supply of Relentless! 25 Voucher for Bournmouth
    : Polar Express Experience
    Big Thank You to All Comp Posters!
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 15th Nov 12, 10:13 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 5,905 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    Red x

SKIP button???? I DON'T have one. More annoying though there was talk of the RED X.

I HAD it! Then when the talk about it started it DISAPPEARED and has not re-appeared! I have commented on posts about it and PM'd a board guide but no reply and no acknowledgement anywhere.

I can't be the only one surely!

PLEASE can I get the RED X back.

TIA!
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 15th Nov 12, 10:59 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 43,625 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    What brower are you using?

Do you mean the actual button is missing? Try clearing your cache and see if it re-appears ...
    #TeamCarter
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 18th Nov 12, 11:14 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 5,905 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    What brower are you using?

Do you mean the actual button is missing? Try clearing your cache and see if it re-appears ...
    Originally posted by OneYorkshireLass
    I am using FF. When the green tick first arrived, the red cross came too! Since they have been 'doing something' with the red cross it has disappeared?

I might add I have remained on the 'old' format MSE? I can't remember when the format changed but I you could choose to remain on the 'old format' and as that was what I was used too, I did.

I can't be alone in this though, surely?
  • danielhead
    Is it possible to de-sticky (If that's a word ) this thread, seems the discussion finished some time back?
    Comping since Oct 2012
    Wins so far:
    1000 cash
    Nikon mug
    Signed Julia Donaldson book
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 20th Jan 13, 2:28 PM
    • 7,817 Posts
    • 19,606 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Unstuck

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • djl
    • By djl 20th Jan 13, 2:39 PM
    • 11,314 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    djl
    if it's not too complicated, the ideal would be tick for done, skip for something you want to go back on later (perhaps ie comp not loading) and X for not interested in
    I agree its a good idea
    2015 wins 4.00 not mse
    2014 44.002013 83.00 2012 601.50
    2011 1554.50 2010 698.00 2009 2793.00
    2008 2816.00 2007 1034.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,882Posts Today

6,834Users online

Martin's Twitter