MSE News: Lowest-ever loan from Sainsbury's fires up price war

"The supermarket's banking arm has taken top spot in the loan charts with lowest rate we've ever seen..."

Comments

• ice_babe
    ice_babe Posts: 335
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Applied for a sainsburys loan 2 days ago at 5.7% and was offered 6.7%
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ice_babe wrote: »
    Applied for a sainsburys loan 2 days ago at 5.7% and was offered 6.7%

Because you didnt fit the criteria to receive the 5.7% so you were offered the 6.7%.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In my view these low loan rates are just more evidence of savers being shafted by the banks.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • In my view these low loan rates are just more evidence of savers being shafted by the banks.

in what way? savers can if they shop around get 6 or 7 x base rate,borrowers are paying at least 11x base rates and in many cases 20 or 30 x base,reflecting the possibility/reallity of defualt
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    woodbine wrote: »
    in what way? savers can if they shop around get 6 or 7 x base rate,borrowers are paying at least 11x base rates and in many cases 20 or 30 x base,reflecting the possibility/reallity of defualt
    I am sure you know as well as I do that the vast majority of savers are receiving 0.1% or, in some cases, less. That's the only reason 3% is available to those who shop around.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,825
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In my view these low loan rates are just more evidence of savers being shafted by the banks.

Sainos currently pay 3.2% on fixed savings bonds over 5 years (roughly an average loan term). This new loan rate is 5.4%. That leaves a margin of 2.2%, out of which a profit must be made, as well as admin costs, bad debts etc.

Or you could use, say, First Direct's Regular Saver at 8%. Not entirely directly comparable, but their representative personal loan rate for loans between £7k and £15k is 6.1% APR. That's a margin of -1.9%.

I'm not really sure how savers are being screwed here. Base rates are low. Banks borrow money from savers at a lower rate and lend it at a higher rate. That is how banking works.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,683
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I hate websites where you fill in all the details to apply for a loan and when you press 'submit'it tells you that they are having technical difficulties and to try again later.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 November 2012 at 9:25PM
    I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Not working, but paying a low-rate tracker mortgage so want lending rates to stay low. Have a modicum of savings so want savings' rates high.

Overall, I think lower lending rates will benefit the economy, and I might benefit from that, too.
  • Consumerist
    Forumite
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    . . . I'm not really sure how savers are being screwed here. . .
    I refer you to my previous post.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2012 at 6:00PM

In what way? Savers are generally wanting risk free secured savings, so the rates will be lower. These loans from Sainsbury's are *unsecured* so the rate is higher.

If you're prepared to loan your money to major companies on an unsecured basis via bonds then you can get 5% to 7% and even higher. Look at the Enterprise Inns bonds for an example of the rates you can get if you go up the risk scale.

It's just the same with Sainsbury's loans - if you're higher risk then you pay more.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure