Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MSE Martin
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
    • 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged 30th Jan 05 at 11:58 PM
    Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to Ł1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

MSE UPDATE OCT 2013: Many paid-to-enter competitions now cost more to enter. We've asked Competitions Board users the limit they feel is appropriate in this poll and have increased the maximum cost to Ł2.10. Please remember we don't encourage forum users to spend money on competitions but if you still feel you absolutely must enter these competitions then that's fine.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-10-2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 18
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Oct 12, 10:06 AM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 37,079 Thanks
    Glad
    Andrea i'm not sure this is the way to go.We have never done it this way for the main reason that it takes much longer for BG's to do merges etc if they have to open more to find it's already been done by another BG let alone it's annoying
    Originally posted by Dalkirst
    I agree Dal

I don't mind doing any merges etc I'm sent, but I sometimes get 15+ in one day so it's reasonable to assume that Dal and divadee are getting similar amounts, potentially if all requests were sent to all BGs we could get 45+ requests per day, and spend time working through them to find they had all been done!!! this would be even worse if we had been offline a couple of days, we would still have to work through every merge pm to see if it had been done by another BG

there's actually only a small group of regulars that usually request merges and they post which BG they have sent the request to on the thread, if the bg in question hasn't been online for a couple of days they will usually resend it to another BG, or the post on the thread will be seen by one of us online and the merge done

has there been a problem reported with this system as I thought it worked well?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
  • Daphne01
    I hope this doesn't become the norm :/ I tend to vary who I send requests to and think the system we use now works well.

Hopefully common sense will prevail
    12/02/44 ~ 30/08/13
    Rest in peace mum, I will love you forever and a day and always be grateful that you were my mum.
    You are irreplaceable

Judge not lest ye be judged
  • Blulu
    It's clearly best for the BGs doing it to decide which system they prefer. However, I think One-Eye's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Would take a bit of getting used to, but I quite like the idea of a sticky for Merge & Move requests. Whichever BG got there first could sort the request and either tick thanks, or edit the post to simply say something like "Done" or "Sorted". It would also make posting a request easier, as we wouldn't have to worry about clicking to see which BG is green-lighted, or worry if the one we pmed is away.
    I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening - Larry King
  • LizB62
    If the BGs are happy with the current situation, then there's no need to change it.
    If they think it needs changing, then they (the BGs) should decide what is needed

Just my opinion !
  • Ms Chocaholic
    I too think it should be left for the BGs to decide what method is in place re merges; when I find a dupe I look to see if any of the BGs are online, if not, I try and share my requests out between them all.

Weeowens - have u heard back from MSE Andrea yet?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 14th Oct 12, 4:46 PM
    • 71,396 Posts
    • 8,732,517 Thanks
    weeowens
    Hi,Ms Chocaholic

No reply as yet.I'm guessing she just deals with things during office hours.
    She's probably very busy as well.
    I've done my first merge using the style asked for in post #1 earlier today.
    Didn't take a deal longer but once the one BG has dealt with it the two offline BG's will now have it sitting in their inbox.Hope they have plenty of space :-)
    Last edited by weeowens; 14-10-2012 at 4:54 PM.
    • Tea Pea Dee
    • By Tea Pea Dee 14th Oct 12, 5:31 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 636,215 Thanks
    Tea Pea Dee
    Absolute stuff and nonsense!! Madness!! I totally agree with Dalkirst and Glad (the only opinions who really count as they are the ones this thread is all about) that it just makes their work harder, and ultimately annoying in that they will be possibly clicking on a redundant PM. I do send quite a few merge requests, but am downing tools forthwith until MS Andrea returns to this thread with either positive or negative news. We are all volunteers on this board, posters and BGs alike. I have nothing to lose by not offering to do merge requests, ie if I don't then I will not see a difference in my wage slip nor should I receive a P45.

Bah Humbug !!

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 14th Oct 12, 6:10 PM
    • 118,909 Posts
    • 2,767,414 Thanks
    fire**fly
    Absolute stuff and nonsense!! Madness!! I totally agree with Dalkirst and Glad (the only opinions who really count as they are the ones this thread is all about) that it just makes their work harder, and ultimately annoying in that they will be possibly clicking on a redundant PM. I do send quite a few merge requests, but am downing tools forthwith until MS Andrea returns to this thread with either positive or negative news. We are all volunteers on this board, posters and BGs alike. I have nothing to lose by not offering to do merge requests, ie if I don't then I will not see a difference in my wage slip nor should I receive a P45.

Bah Humbug !!
    Originally posted by Tea Pea Dee
    hi tpd, i stopped sending them as soon as i saw the post from mse andrea as tbh found it a bit confusing
    i can't understand the logic in sending the request to all 3 at one time
    I am alphabetty Duchess fire**fly tinkerbell &
    Official potty potterer, bestowed by Upsidedownbear
    57 F's won,4 honorary,3 half,2 back rounds.
  • lilias
    Well, in the stickie Divadee says

"A lot of threads being posted are duplicates of other threads. Please can people use the search facility. A userguide to the search facility is above in this thread.

As the search facility can be hit and miss if you do spot a duplicate please can you pm the link of the original and duplicate(s) threads and the board guides can merge them together.

This is not just to keep the boards tidy, but some comps if you enter more than once you disqualify yourself.

Please can you only pm them to one board guide this saves time for board guides when going through the merge requests.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=6604602&postcount=3
  • joe14729
    Seems to me that this new merge format is only going to upset the board guides and those who request merges.
    If it ain,t broke, don,t fix it!
    I,m so stupid that I forgot the mnemonic
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 14th Oct 12, 7:31 PM
    • 71,396 Posts
    • 8,732,517 Thanks
    weeowens
    Hi,Tea Pea Dee

I was much of the same opinion re not sending merge pms to the BG team as I found it all a bit confusing with the mixed messages from various people.Plus I'll admit that I was fearful of making a hash of sending to multiple BG's as asked.
    I've now thought about it & will just bend with the MSE admin wind for a bit as I just feel that to do cease any sending of merge messages may not be fair on the less experienced members on here.
    I mean no offence to anyone but maybe together we can just pull together for a few days until we get this sorted either way.
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 14th Oct 12, 8:12 PM
    • 118,909 Posts
    • 2,767,414 Thanks
    fire**fly
    Well, in the stickie Divadee says

"A lot of threads being posted are duplicates of other threads. Please can people use the search facility. A userguide to the search facility is above in this thread.

As the search facility can be hit and miss if you do spot a duplicate please can you pm the link of the original and duplicate(s) threads and the board guides can merge them together.

This is not just to keep the boards tidy, but some comps if you enter more than once you disqualify yourself.

Please can you only pm them to one board guide this saves time for board guides when going through the merge requests.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=6604602&postcount=3

Originally posted by lilias
    hiya yes, &
    in the comping guide it says

# 5
    VelvetGlove
    04-07-2008, 8:56 PM

If you click a BG name, it will take you to their profile page,
    over on the right is the 'Contact Info' & you should see a link to 'Send a private message to xxxx'

If you click that, a Private Message (PM) box will display & then all you need to do is put a title (eg Merge Request Please), then tell the BG what the Original Thread URL & the Dupe Thread URL is. (Highlight the URL of a thread in the bar at the top of the browser screen & right click > copy. Then click your mouse back into the PM box & right click > paste). You can ‘Preview Message’ to see how it will look, if you want, before you click to ‘Submit message’.

Please also post on the duplicate comp thread that it is a dupe, include a link to the original thread & if you mention that you have sent a merge request to whichever BG you sent it to, then that will save others doing exactly the same thing & bombarding the poor BGs with multiple requests for the same thing.

it's very confusing at the moment
    I am alphabetty Duchess fire**fly tinkerbell &
    Official potty potterer, bestowed by Upsidedownbear
    57 F's won,4 honorary,3 half,2 back rounds.
  • OnceUponADream
    Hi,Tea Pea Dee

I was much of the same opinion re not sending merge pms to the BG team as I found it all a bit confusing with the mixed messages from various people.Plus I'll admit that I was fearful of making a hash of sending to multiple BG's as asked.
    I've now thought about it & will just bend with the MSE admin wind for a bit as I just feel that to do cease any sending of merge messages may not be fair on the less experienced members on here.
    I mean no offence to anyone but maybe together we can just pull together for a few days until we get this sorted either way.
    Originally posted by weeowens
    I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Big thanks to all competition posters
    • Tea Pea Dee
    • By Tea Pea Dee 14th Oct 12, 10:05 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 636,215 Thanks
    Tea Pea Dee
    I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.
    Originally posted by OnceUponADream
    UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
    • Dalkirst
    • By Dalkirst 14th Oct 12, 10:08 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 313,512 Thanks
    Dalkirst
    I am already opening PM's that have already been merged
    Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
  • OnceUponADream
    UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back
    Originally posted by Tea Pea Dee
    I did question the amount of work it would create y'day for the BG's, however my point is that I have continued to request merges instead of ignoring them and have done so as Andrea has suggested.

I do think the 'old' system is best. however not being a touch typist I'm unsure how i'll cope if we need to type three names in one go
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Big thanks to all competition posters
  • Daphne01
    That's the reason I'm sticking to the one merge one BG rule at the mo. It's ridiculous :/
    12/02/44 ~ 30/08/13
    Rest in peace mum, I will love you forever and a day and always be grateful that you were my mum.
    You are irreplaceable

Judge not lest ye be judged
    • Glad
    • By Glad 14th Oct 12, 10:22 PM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 37,079 Thanks
    Glad
    sorry

I had a few already done too, being the weekend we've probably been online a few times, and also only a few posters are doing the 'send to all BGs'

imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Well, there's no logic in sending a PM to all three BGs ... I'll stick to the usual way ...

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
    #TeamCarter
  • CraSiEla
    ER... I always thought we are here to save money!!!

It makes sense to send ONE pm to ONE BG only for ONE merge.

This would save the resources of MSE.

I'm sure the guys in MSE towers don't want us to send a merge to three different people - using all these resources for one merge, it just doesn't make money sense.

Not sure what I'll do yet, if I see something which needs merging - (think I'll go back to being 24-36 hours behind in comping.)

Glad has said it all
    imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged
    Originally posted by Glad
    Good luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction BG's
    ASK A WOMAN HOW SHE FEELS
    AND SHE'LL OPEN HER HEART AND TELL YOU HER

FEARS, HOPES AND DREAMS
    ASK A MAN WHAT HE FEELS AND HE'LL TELL YOU
    HE FEELS LIKE A
    PIZZA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,709Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin