Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - me... (Page 18)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
Closed Thread
Views: 443,551
# 341
Glad
Old 13-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkirst View Post
Andrea i'm not sure this is the way to go.We have never done it this way for the main reason that it takes much longer for BG's to do merges etc if they have to open more to find it's already been done by another BG let alone it's annoying
I agree Dal

I don't mind doing any merges etc I'm sent, but I sometimes get 15+ in one day so it's reasonable to assume that Dal and divadee are getting similar amounts, potentially if all requests were sent to all BGs we could get 45+ requests per day, and spend time working through them to find they had all been done!!! this would be even worse if we had been offline a couple of days, we would still have to work through every merge pm to see if it had been done by another BG

there's actually only a small group of regulars that usually request merges and they post which BG they have sent the request to on the thread, if the bg in question hasn't been online for a couple of days they will usually resend it to another BG, or the post on the thread will be seen by one of us online and the merge done

has there been a problem reported with this system as I thought it worked well?
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 342
Daphne01
Old 13-10-2012, 3:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I hope this doesn't become the norm :/ I tend to vary who I send requests to and think the system we use now works well.

Hopefully common sense will prevail
12/02/44 ~ 30/08/13
Rest in peace mum, I will love you forever and a day and always be grateful that you were my mum.
You are irreplaceable

Judge not lest ye be judged
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Daphne01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 343
Blulu
Old 13-10-2012, 5:30 PM

It's clearly best for the BGs doing it to decide which system they prefer. However, I think One-Eye's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Would take a bit of getting used to, but I quite like the idea of a sticky for Merge & Move requests. Whichever BG got there first could sort the request and either tick thanks, or edit the post to simply say something like "Done" or "Sorted". It would also make posting a request easier, as we wouldn't have to worry about clicking to see which BG is green-lighted, or worry if the one we pmed is away.
More fun, less whinging

It is more fitting to laugh at life than to lament over it. -- Seneca
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blulu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 344
LizB62
Old 13-10-2012, 10:10 PM

If the BGs are happy with the current situation, then there's no need to change it.
If they think it needs changing, then they (the BGs) should decide what is needed

Just my opinion !
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LizB62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 345
Ms Chocaholic
Old 14-10-2012, 4:39 PM

I too think it should be left for the BGs to decide what method is in place re merges; when I find a dupe I look to see if any of the BGs are online, if not, I try and share my requests out between them all.

Weeowens - have u heard back from MSE Andrea yet?
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ms Chocaholic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 346
weeowens
Old 14-10-2012, 4:46 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Hi,Ms Chocaholic

No reply as yet.I'm guessing she just deals with things during office hours.
She's probably very busy as well.
I've done my first merge using the style asked for in post #1 earlier today.
Didn't take a deal longer but once the one BG has dealt with it the two offline BG's will now have it sitting in their inbox.Hope they have plenty of space :-)

Last edited by weeowens; 14-10-2012 at 4:54 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 347
Tea Pea Dee
Old 14-10-2012, 5:31 PM

Absolute stuff and nonsense!! Madness!! I totally agree with Dalkirst and Glad (the only opinions who really count as they are the ones this thread is all about) that it just makes their work harder, and ultimately annoying in that they will be possibly clicking on a redundant PM. I do send quite a few merge requests, but am downing tools forthwith until MS Andrea returns to this thread with either positive or negative news. We are all volunteers on this board, posters and BGs alike. I have nothing to lose by not offering to do merge requests, ie if I don't then I will not see a difference in my wage slip nor should I receive a P45.

Bah Humbug !!

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tea Pea Dee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 348
fire**fly
Old 14-10-2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Pea Dee View Post
Absolute stuff and nonsense!! Madness!! I totally agree with Dalkirst and Glad (the only opinions who really count as they are the ones this thread is all about) that it just makes their work harder, and ultimately annoying in that they will be possibly clicking on a redundant PM. I do send quite a few merge requests, but am downing tools forthwith until MS Andrea returns to this thread with either positive or negative news. We are all volunteers on this board, posters and BGs alike. I have nothing to lose by not offering to do merge requests, ie if I don't then I will not see a difference in my wage slip nor should I receive a P45.

Bah Humbug !!
hi tpd, i stopped sending them as soon as i saw the post from mse andrea as tbh found it a bit confusing
i can't understand the logic in sending the request to all 3 at one time
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too,
i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized
i'd passed it on to him,
so if you feel a smile begin don't leave it
undetected let's start an epidemic quick &
get the world infected.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 349
lilias
Old 14-10-2012, 6:32 PM

Well, in the stickie Divadee says

"A lot of threads being posted are duplicates of other threads. Please can people use the search facility. A userguide to the search facility is above in this thread.

As the search facility can be hit and miss if you do spot a duplicate please can you pm the link of the original and duplicate(s) threads and the board guides can merge them together.

This is not just to keep the boards tidy, but some comps if you enter more than once you disqualify yourself.

Please can you only pm them to one board guide this saves time for board guides when going through the merge requests.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=6604602&postcount=3
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lilias For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 350
joe14729
Old 14-10-2012, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Seems to me that this new merge format is only going to upset the board guides and those who request merges.
If it ain,t broke, don,t fix it!
I,m so stupid that I forgot the mnemonic
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joe14729 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 351
weeowens
Old 14-10-2012, 7:31 PM

Hi,Tea Pea Dee

I was much of the same opinion re not sending merge pms to the BG team as I found it all a bit confusing with the mixed messages from various people.Plus I'll admit that I was fearful of making a hash of sending to multiple BG's as asked.
I've now thought about it & will just bend with the MSE admin wind for a bit as I just feel that to do cease any sending of merge messages may not be fair on the less experienced members on here.
I mean no offence to anyone but maybe together we can just pull together for a few days until we get this sorted either way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 352
fire**fly
Old 14-10-2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilias View Post
Well, in the stickie Divadee says

"A lot of threads being posted are duplicates of other threads. Please can people use the search facility. A userguide to the search facility is above in this thread.

As the search facility can be hit and miss if you do spot a duplicate please can you pm the link of the original and duplicate(s) threads and the board guides can merge them together.

This is not just to keep the boards tidy, but some comps if you enter more than once you disqualify yourself.

Please can you only pm them to one board guide this saves time for board guides when going through the merge requests.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=6604602&postcount=3

hiya yes, &
in the comping guide it says

# 5
VelvetGlove
04-07-2008, 8:56 PM

If you click a BG name, it will take you to their profile page,
over on the right is the 'Contact Info' & you should see a link to 'Send a private message to xxxx'

If you click that, a Private Message (PM) box will display & then all you need to do is put a title (eg Merge Request Please), then tell the BG what the Original Thread URL & the Dupe Thread URL is. (Highlight the URL of a thread in the bar at the top of the browser screen & right click > copy. Then click your mouse back into the PM box & right click > paste). You can ‘Preview Message’ to see how it will look, if you want, before you click to ‘Submit message’.

Please also post on the duplicate comp thread that it is a dupe, include a link to the original thread & if you mention that you have sent a merge request to whichever BG you sent it to, then that will save others doing exactly the same thing & bombarding the poor BGs with multiple requests for the same thing.

it's very confusing at the moment
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too,
i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized
i'd passed it on to him,
so if you feel a smile begin don't leave it
undetected let's start an epidemic quick &
get the world infected.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 353
OnceUponADream
Old 14-10-2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeowens View Post
Hi,Tea Pea Dee

I was much of the same opinion re not sending merge pms to the BG team as I found it all a bit confusing with the mixed messages from various people.Plus I'll admit that I was fearful of making a hash of sending to multiple BG's as asked.
I've now thought about it & will just bend with the MSE admin wind for a bit as I just feel that to do cease any sending of merge messages may not be fair on the less experienced members on here.
I mean no offence to anyone but maybe together we can just pull together for a few days until we get this sorted either way.
I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.
The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Big thanks to all competition posters
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OnceUponADream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 354
Tea Pea Dee
Old 14-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceUponADream View Post
I've only sent two since this was posted and I sent to all three BG's explaining in the PM that I had sent to all of them.

The final decision will have to come from the BG's as they are the ones who deal with the 'workload'.....it makes no difference to me typing an extra two names into the box.
UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tea Pea Dee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 355
Dalkirst
Old 14-10-2012, 10:08 PM

I am already opening PM's that have already been merged
Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dalkirst For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 356
OnceUponADream
Old 14-10-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Pea Dee View Post
UOAD it makes no difference to me how many names I type on a PM, I am a touch typist, so could type 100 names in the time it takes a one-fingered typist to type 1 name My point is that it is not fair on the BGs, not the posters. My tools are lying in the corner collecting dust atm until MS Andrea reports back
I did question the amount of work it would create y'day for the BG's, however my point is that I have continued to request merges instead of ignoring them and have done so as Andrea has suggested.

I do think the 'old' system is best. however not being a touch typist I'm unsure how i'll cope if we need to type three names in one go
The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Big thanks to all competition posters
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OnceUponADream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 357
Daphne01
Old 14-10-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
That's the reason I'm sticking to the one merge one BG rule at the mo. It's ridiculous :/
12/02/44 ~ 30/08/13
Rest in peace mum, I will love you forever and a day and always be grateful that you were my mum.
You are irreplaceable

Judge not lest ye be judged
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daphne01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 358
Glad
Old 14-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
sorry

I had a few already done too, being the weekend we've probably been online a few times, and also only a few posters are doing the 'send to all BGs'

imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 359
OneYorkshireLass
Old 14-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Well, there's no logic in sending a PM to all three BGs ... I'll stick to the usual way ...

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
#TeamCarter
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OneYorkshireLass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 360
CraSiEla
Old 14-10-2012, 11:48 PM

ER... I always thought we are here to save money!!!

It makes sense to send ONE pm to ONE BG only for ONE merge.

This would save the resources of MSE.

I'm sure the guys in MSE towers don't want us to send a merge to three different people - using all these resources for one merge, it just doesn't make money sense.

Not sure what I'll do yet, if I see something which needs merging - (think I'll go back to being 24-36 hours behind in comping.)

Glad has said it all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad View Post
imagine a weekday evening, first one on will have double the amount to do, and last on will have dozens of pm's to check, all of which will already have been merged
Good luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction BG's
ASK A WOMAN HOW SHE FEELS
AND SHE'LL OPEN HER HEART AND TELL YOU HER

FEARS, HOPES AND DREAMS
ASK A MAN WHAT HE FEELS AND HE'LL TELL YOU
HE FEELS LIKE A
PIZZA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CraSiEla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread