Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st Oct 06, 11:44 AM
    • 8,104Posts
    • 42,233Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)
    • 31st Oct 06, 11:44 AM
    0 WOW
    The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged) 31st Oct 06 at 11:44 AM
    The internet is a mine of free information and can be especially useful when wanting to learn a new skill. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers pool of knowledge to find out free online courses. Whether it's a language you want to learn, PC skills or something random like juggling share your gems of info!

What to post

We need to know a bit about the course and please include a hyperlink to where it can be found.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 8
    • HarryD
    • By HarryD 30th Oct 08, 9:13 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    HarryD
    Free Project Management Course
    This project management course / book has its full text online. It is readable by project management novices but has lots of stuff in it that even experienced PMs might learn a thing or two from.

It is oriented towards the management of IT projects and software development projects in particular but it seems to me that most of the messages apply to just about any sort of project.

http://www.hraconsulting-ltd.co.uk/free-online-project-management-course.htm
    /
    Last edited by HarryD; 30-10-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Mar 09, 7:50 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,135 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was browsing on lovemoney - the new motleyfool website, and came across this link to MIT - the Massachussets Institute of Technology - they release nearly all their coursework free on the web. There's no qualification, but if you want to learn about something, this is absolutely astonishing.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/about/about/index.htm
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 12th Mar 09, 8:49 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Anyone know the cheapest place to apply for ECDL or similar online.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • make life easier
    Have been looking at vision2learn

Level 1 New CLAiT using Microsoft Office 2003

It say's it a 100 hours learning course but over roughly how long would that take in terms of weeks, months or years ??
    became debt free December 06
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 25th Sep 09, 2:57 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Have been looking at vision2learn

Level 1 New CLAiT using Microsoft Office 2003

It say's it a 100 hours learning course but over roughly how long would that take in terms of weeks, months or years ??
    Originally posted by make life easier
    Well, 100 hours equals 4 days and 4 hours. Carve it up as you like. It depends how long you want to spend each day at it andw competent you are with MS Office in the first place.
  • make life easier
    I was thinking about 1 hour a day during the week, this is after a long day at work, does that sound reasonable (about 20 weeks to completer course). I am not so sure how competent I am with MS office but I am determined to give it a try.
    became debt free December 06
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 25th Sep 09, 3:16 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    I would say that is easily possible. When you set up with them you decide your own schedule for each of the modules. If they dont get any work from you in accordance with how you said you would perform, they would start to ask where it was. It's not pressurised and the tutorials are quite good.
    • clairibel
    • By clairibel 1st Oct 09, 2:52 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 7,147 Thanks
    clairibel
    I have looked throught his thread up to page 5, so i might have missed it but free online courses here http://www.alison.com I'm currently doing the excel course and finding quite easy to learn from, its all interactive.
  • NVQ Made Simple
    NVQ Qualifications Made easy
    We provide guide, extra support and resources learners need to complete their NVQ health and social care (adults, children and young people), A1, V1 and PTTLS 7303 awards easily. Free online support available for learners in nvq care, assessors and trainers 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Questions are answered promptly by a team of experienced assessors.

Many thanks.
  • steveint
    What if you have prior knowledge in a subject from life experiences and merely want to refresh your memory and get it accredited to put on your CV? Are there any free courses which lead to proper qualifications? I'm self taught in world war 2 history, but I know I'm missing a lot from not having it taught to me in a standardised way. Anyone know anywhere? Thanks.
  • farfel
    Free Courses
    I know this discussion is a little old, but I have created a resource collection that will be of interest. It contains over 250 free courses from top universities worldwide. You can download the courses to your computer or mp3 player. Moneysaving Expert won't allow me to post the link (because I am new member). But you can find the courses at Openculture.com. When you get to the homepage, just look for "Online Courses" in the top nav. And if anyone would be so kind to post the link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dan
    • beadysam
    • By beadysam 11th Jan 10, 8:48 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    beadysam
    I know this discussion is a little old, but I have created a resource collection that will be of interest. It contains over 250 free courses from top universities worldwide. You can download the courses to your computer or mp3 player. Moneysaving Expert won't allow me to post the link (because I am new member). But you can find the courses at Openculture.com. When you get to the homepage, just look for "Online Courses" in the top nav. And if anyone would be so kind to post the link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dan
    Originally posted by farfel
    This looks like a fabulous resourse Dan, thank you. I'll be having a good look around later today when I have a bit more time.

Link to courses: http://www.openculture.com/2007/07/freeonlinecourses.html

There seems to be loads of stuff worth looking at; audio books, ebooks, language lessons and more. Definately worth a look - and its all free too!
    • Antispam
    • By Antispam 16th Mar 10, 1:33 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 3,454 Thanks
    Antispam
    kommc 4 posts all promoting same web site
  • Lynne2809
    I know exactly how you feel. Why do some companies/ people think that when you say you are a stay at home parent they basically think you don't work and sit down all day !!! I have been a stay at home mum for the last 3 years and I WANT TO DO SOME COURSES so that when all of my kids are in full time school eventually I feel I have the qualifications to re-enter the workforce with atleast a fighting chance of finding a decent paid job as I want to change my direction of career when I do return to work .

Any ideas please get in touch !!
    • cheekyweelassie
    • By cheekyweelassie 10th May 10, 3:08 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    cheekyweelassie
    There are some really useful resources on here. Thanks to everyone that has posted.

I wondered if anyone had come across any free online Public Relations courses? I would like to have some formal PR training to cover strategy and planning.

I'm already working in PR but I don't have any academic qualifications in the subject, and studying for a CIPR certificate would cost me around £2700. I work for a charity so there's no way they have a training budget to cover this.

If anyone has come across any FREE PR courses, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks.
  • chocsessential
    Free ALISON Training Courses
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned the ALISON website before but it offers a range of free training courses. I am currently studying their Excel 2003 course and Introduction to Accounting. I have used Excel for many years but I am learning things I never knew before such as the IF and AVERAGE functions. I just thought I would pass it on in case anyone feels like having a go at something new:

http://alison.com/
    • purcel
    • By purcel 13th May 10, 9:18 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 14,706 Thanks
    purcel
    Thanks but already posted a few times :http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=294426&highlight=alison+courses&p age=8
    Will request a merge!
  • chocsessential
    Oh, pooh. I did a search for ALISON but it didn't come up. Thanks
  • janiek32
    Whilst i know this is an old thread, i thought i would add a comment on ALISON courses

Yes the COURSES are free, but as I found the hard way, after weeks of study, you have to pay to obtain your certificates, they wanted £115 for ONE from me!
    SO while i have put all that hard study and time into a diploma I have nothing to show for it
  • ltsc3001
    free courses rcmnd'd
    Just to add a comment on vision2learn. Your tutor is based at a college which may not be in your home town, so if your course is one which has an exam at the end of it then you may have to travel to that college to sit the exam.

I did an IT course with them a few years back and had to travel to the college which was 30 miles away. I dont know if this is still the case but I thought is was worth pointing out as some people may not have the means to travel.
    Originally posted by anji1979
    After studying 3 of the courses through vision 2 learn, i can say for sure and put everybodies mind at rest that you DO NOT have to travel to the college for the exam. It is all done online using the moodle system which is very very easy to use. once you have done your assignments you just email it back to them and they mark it then return it if it needs resubmitting.

Ive enjoyed it all and would signpost anybody to it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter