Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged) (Page 8)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)
Views: 158,464
# 141
HarryD
Old 30-10-2008, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Free Project Management Course

This project management course / book has its full text online. It is readable by project management novices but has lots of stuff in it that even experienced PMs might learn a thing or two from.

It is oriented towards the management of IT projects and software development projects in particular but it seems to me that most of the messages apply to just about any sort of project.

http://www.hraconsulting-ltd.co.uk/free-online-project-management-course.htm
/

Last edited by HarryD; 30-10-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 142
Karmacat
Old 12-03-2009, 7:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I was browsing on lovemoney - the new motleyfool website, and came across this link to MIT - the Massachussets Institute of Technology - they release nearly all their coursework free on the web. There's no qualification, but if you want to learn about something, this is absolutely astonishing.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/about/about/index.htm
Your destiny does not care about your past: live in abundance
Pension shortfall goal to make up: 60,000 gross, 48,000 net.
310 achieved plus 5.50 vouchers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karmacat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 143
chocolatepennyfarthing
Old 12-03-2009, 8:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anyone know the cheapest place to apply for ECDL or similar online.
Jan Grocery challenge
Budget 350 - Spent 64.45 to date
# 144
make life easier
Old 25-09-2009, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have been looking at vision2learn

Level 1 New CLAiT using Microsoft Office 2003

It say's it a 100 hours learning course but over roughly how long would that take in terms of weeks, months or years ??
became debt free December 06
# 145
Steve_xx
Old 25-09-2009, 2:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by make life easier View Post
Have been looking at vision2learn

Level 1 New CLAiT using Microsoft Office 2003

It say's it a 100 hours learning course but over roughly how long would that take in terms of weeks, months or years ??
Well, 100 hours equals 4 days and 4 hours. Carve it up as you like. It depends how long you want to spend each day at it andw competent you are with MS Office in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_xx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 146
make life easier
Old 25-09-2009, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was thinking about 1 hour a day during the week, this is after a long day at work, does that sound reasonable (about 20 weeks to completer course). I am not so sure how competent I am with MS office but I am determined to give it a try.
became debt free December 06
# 147
Steve_xx
Old 25-09-2009, 3:16 PM

I would say that is easily possible. When you set up with them you decide your own schedule for each of the modules. If they dont get any work from you in accordance with how you said you would perform, they would start to ask where it was. It's not pressurised and the tutorials are quite good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_xx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 148
clairibel
Old 01-10-2009, 2:52 PM

I have looked throught his thread up to page 5, so i might have missed it but free online courses here http://www.alison.com I'm currently doing the excel course and finding quite easy to learn from, its all interactive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clairibel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 149
NVQ Made Simple
Old 06-11-2009, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to NVQ Made Simple
Default NVQ Qualifications Made easy

We provide guide, extra support and resources learners need to complete their NVQ health and social care (adults, children and young people), A1, V1 and PTTLS 7303 awards easily. Free online support available for learners in nvq care, assessors and trainers 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Questions are answered promptly by a team of experienced assessors.

Many thanks.
# 150
steveint
Old 21-11-2009, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What if you have prior knowledge in a subject from life experiences and merely want to refresh your memory and get it accredited to put on your CV? Are there any free courses which lead to proper qualifications? I'm self taught in world war 2 history, but I know I'm missing a lot from not having it taught to me in a standardised way. Anyone know anywhere? Thanks.
# 151
farfel
Old 11-01-2010, 1:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Free Courses

I know this discussion is a little old, but I have created a resource collection that will be of interest. It contains over 250 free courses from top universities worldwide. You can download the courses to your computer or mp3 player. Moneysaving Expert won't allow me to post the link (because I am new member). But you can find the courses at Openculture.com. When you get to the homepage, just look for "Online Courses" in the top nav. And if anyone would be so kind to post the link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to farfel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 152
beadysam
Old 11-01-2010, 8:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfel View Post
I know this discussion is a little old, but I have created a resource collection that will be of interest. It contains over 250 free courses from top universities worldwide. You can download the courses to your computer or mp3 player. Moneysaving Expert won't allow me to post the link (because I am new member). But you can find the courses at Openculture.com. When you get to the homepage, just look for "Online Courses" in the top nav. And if anyone would be so kind to post the link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan
This looks like a fabulous resourse Dan, thank you. I'll be having a good look around later today when I have a bit more time.

Link to courses: http://www.openculture.com/2007/07/f...necourses.html

There seems to be loads of stuff worth looking at; audio books, ebooks, language lessons and more. Definately worth a look - and its all free too!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beadysam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 153
Antispam
Old 16-03-2010, 1:33 PM

kommc 4 posts all promoting same web site
The Following User Says Thank You to Antispam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 154
Lynne2809
Old 03-05-2010, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I know exactly how you feel. Why do some companies/ people think that when you say you are a stay at home parent they basically think you don't work and sit down all day !!! I have been a stay at home mum for the last 3 years and I WANT TO DO SOME COURSES so that when all of my kids are in full time school eventually I feel I have the qualifications to re-enter the workforce with atleast a fighting chance of finding a decent paid job as I want to change my direction of career when I do return to work .

Any ideas please get in touch !!
# 155
cheekyweelassie
Old 10-05-2010, 3:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There are some really useful resources on here. Thanks to everyone that has posted.

I wondered if anyone had come across any free online Public Relations courses? I would like to have some formal PR training to cover strategy and planning.

I'm already working in PR but I don't have any academic qualifications in the subject, and studying for a CIPR certificate would cost me around 2700. I work for a charity so there's no way they have a training budget to cover this.

If anyone has come across any FREE PR courses, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks.
# 156
chocsessential
Old 13-05-2010, 9:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Free ALISON Training Courses

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the ALISON website before but it offers a range of free training courses. I am currently studying their Excel 2003 course and Introduction to Accounting. I have used Excel for many years but I am learning things I never knew before such as the IF and AVERAGE functions. I just thought I would pass it on in case anyone feels like having a go at something new:

http://alison.com/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chocsessential For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 157
purcel
Old 13-05-2010, 9:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks but already posted a few times :http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...courses&page=8
Will request a merge!
# 158
chocsessential
Old 13-05-2010, 9:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh, pooh. I did a search for ALISON but it didn't come up. Thanks
# 159
janiek32
Old 28-09-2011, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Whilst i know this is an old thread, i thought i would add a comment on ALISON courses

Yes the COURSES are free, but as I found the hard way, after weeks of study, you have to pay to obtain your certificates, they wanted 115 for ONE from me!
SO while i have put all that hard study and time into a diploma I have nothing to show for it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janiek32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 160
ltsc3001
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default free courses rcmnd'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by anji1979 View Post
Just to add a comment on vision2learn. Your tutor is based at a college which may not be in your home town, so if your course is one which has an exam at the end of it then you may have to travel to that college to sit the exam.

I did an IT course with them a few years back and had to travel to the college which was 30 miles away. I dont know if this is still the case but I thought is was worth pointing out as some people may not have the means to travel.
After studying 3 of the courses through vision 2 learn, i can say for sure and put everybodies mind at rest that you DO NOT have to travel to the college for the exam. It is all done online using the moodle system which is very very easy to use. once you have done your assignments you just email it back to them and they mark it then return it if it needs resubmitting.

Ive enjoyed it all and would signpost anybody to it.