Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > New private parking ticket appeals feedback (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New private parking ticket appeals feedback
Reply
Views: 15,688
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Former MSE Rose
Old 27-09-2012, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 112
Default New private parking ticket appeals feedback



Hi all,

This thread's specifically to give feedback on the new private parking tickets appeals service as part of the Private Parking Tickets guide. Have you used the new POPLA independent appeals service, and if so, how did you get on?

Was your appeal successful or not, and which grounds of appeal did you use? How long did it take, and did you include any other factors with your appeal to strengthen your argument?

Just click 'post reply' to add your feedback - thanks,

MSE Rose

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 02-10-2012 at 4:01 PM.
Former MSE Rose is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Jersey_girl
Old 15-04-2013, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!

I had some faith in POPLA believing they would judge my appeal fairly, and as an individual but this turned out not to be the case at all.

They took well over the time stated to reply to my appeal, rejecting both fines of course. I won't go into the details of each fine, as this is more about POPLA themselves but I can assure you I was fined unjustly. When POPLA reply to you, they include all of your evidence in their pack which is posted to you. On looking through all the paper work, I noticed that all of my evidence (submitted via email as suggested my POPLA) was printed out by POPLA in an awful state. I would deem it almost impossible to judge fairly as it was so dark and grainy. In fact, you couldn't even see the permit in my car window which I was obviously relying on heavily to support my argument. Afte receiving the rejection response, I promptly emailed the person who was dealing with my case and asked him to reconsider, explaining that there was no way he could judge the evidence fairly using a sub standard printer. I got no response of course.

Hope this helps others. Definitely post your evidence to POPLA to be sure it is being judged in it's clearest format - not that I believe POPLA judge fairly to begin with but hey it's a start.
Jersey_girl is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
trisontana
Old 15-04-2013, 2:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 8,031
Default

Why are you calling these invoices "fines"?
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
trisontana is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 4
Umkomaas
Old 15-04-2013, 2:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_girl View Post
Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!

I had some faith in POPLA believing they would judge my appeal fairly, and as an individual but this turned out not to be the case at all.

They took well over the time stated to reply to my appeal, rejecting both fines of course. I won't go into the details of each fine, as this is more about POPLA themselves but I can assure you I was fined unjustly. When POPLA reply to you, they include all of your evidence in their pack which is posted to you. On looking through all the paper work, I noticed that all of my evidence (submitted via email as suggested my POPLA) was printed out by POPLA in an awful state. I would deem it almost impossible to judge fairly as it was so dark and grainy. In fact, you couldn't even see the permit in my car window which I was obviously relying on heavily to support my argument. Afte receiving the rejection response, I promptly emailed the person who was dealing with my case and asked him to reconsider, explaining that there was no way he could judge the evidence fairly using a sub standard printer. I got no response of course.

Hope this helps others. Definitely post your evidence to POPLA to be sure it is being judged in it's clearest format - not that I believe POPLA judge fairly to begin with but hey it's a start.
Not sure from your statement whether your appeal was upheld (i.e. charges dropped) or dismissed - charges apply (but you mustn't pay them - just continue to ignore).
Umkomaas is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 5
Fergie76
Old 15-04-2013, 6:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,446
Default

The appeal was reject, so according to POPLA she must pay. However, as stated NEVER pay.

You were parked in your own space, it would be laughed out of court, should they be brave enough to try it on.
Fergie76 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Fergie76 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
nigelbb
Old 15-04-2013, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_girl View Post
Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!
It sounds like you may not have appealed on the correct grounds and for example insisted that the contract between the PPC & landowner be produced to prove their right to levy parking charges & pursue you in court. Appealing to their logic that you shouldn't be fined for parking in your own allocated space is not sufficient. If you start asking about details of the contract they don't want to reveal it & you will win by default when they don't produce the evidence requested.

The next time they ticket you for parking in your space please take yourself over to PePiPoo where you will get decent advice on how you should appeal. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=60
nigelbb is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 7
Coupon-mad
Old 15-04-2013, 8:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Posts: 26,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_girl View Post
Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!

I had some faith in POPLA believing they would judge my appeal fairly, and as an individual but this turned out not to be the case at all.

They took well over the time stated to reply to my appeal, rejecting both fines of course. I won't go into the details of each fine, as this is more about POPLA themselves but I can assure you I was fined unjustly. When POPLA reply to you, they include all of your evidence in their pack which is posted to you. On looking through all the paper work, I noticed that all of my evidence (submitted via email as suggested my POPLA) was printed out by POPLA in an awful state. I would deem it almost impossible to judge fairly as it was so dark and grainy. In fact, you couldn't even see the permit in my car window which I was obviously relying on heavily to support my argument. Afte receiving the rejection response, I promptly emailed the person who was dealing with my case and asked him to reconsider, explaining that there was no way he could judge the evidence fairly using a sub standard printer. I got no response of course.

Hope this helps others. Definitely post your evidence to POPLA to be sure it is being judged in it's clearest format - not that I believe POPLA judge fairly to begin with but hey it's a start.


Was your POPLA appeal detailed and demanding like this sort of thing?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...st=20&start=20

That's a fairly good example of a detailed POPLA appeal challenging a ticket in the flat owner/tenant's own allocated bay.

Please, please tell us that you didn't actually PAY the PPC?!

As it says in our sticky info thread about POPLA, any POPLA decision is not binding on you at all and if the PPC took it to Court (unlikely anyway) a properly-worded defence (free from pepipoo) would kick it into touch and you could counter-claim. Harassment sounds a likely reason to counter claim to me!
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
Coupon-mad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 8
jnlp
Old 13-05-2013, 10:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: birmingham
Posts: 1
Default POPLA parking appeal

I have had my reply from POPLA, And my appeal was rejected for the following reasons

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
The Appellant made representations to the Operator, stating that he had arrived at the car park in order to assist his daughter, whose vehicle had stopped. As he was acting as a recovery vehicle, the parking charge exceeds the appropriate amount. The ANPR cameras do not know whether or not a ticket was purchased. The Operator’s employee did not come to speak with him at any time, and could see that he was acting as a recovery vehicle.

The Operator rejected the representations, stating:
1. The Appellant’s vehicle was clearly parked without displaying a valid ticket. The vehicle was first observed entering the car park at 1401 and exited at 1507, staying in the car park for 66 minutes.
2. Signs state ‘Customers have 10 minutes from entering the car park to purchase a valid Pay & Display ticket’.
3. No attempt had been made to contact the Operator during the period of parking. No evidence has been submitted to confirm the circumstances outlined in the appeal.
The Appellant has not submitted any evidence, for example a breakdown report. Signs in the car park, evidence of which has been submitted, state that a failure to pay and display will result in a Parking Charge Notice being issued. I do not find that the parking charge exceeded the appropriate amount, as the amount of £100 was agreed to in the contract between the Appellant and the Operator. Photographic evidence of the Appellant’s vehicle has been submitted. No pay and display ticket can be seen on the vehicle. I cannot find that there is any requirement that the Operator’s employee speak to the Appellant and inform him of parking restrictions, as these are clearly stated on signs throughout the car park. By parking in the car park, the Appellant accepted the terms and conditions on the signage.
Considering carefully all the evidence before me, I must find that, at the material time, the Appellant did not display a valid pay and display ticket and is therefore liable for the parking charge.
Accordingly, I refuse this appeal.
This assessor did not read my appeal correctly as (1) I stated my daughter had broken down NOT Stopped and i acted as a recovery person, plus so many more errors in this report.
jnlp is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 9
Coupon-mad
Old 14-05-2013, 1:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Posts: 26,435
Default

So you went for 'mitigating circumstances' and seem to have missed all the advice on this forum which says don't send POPLA appeals like that?

You could have won. What a waste of a POPLA code, oh dear.

You do realise you don't have to pay this? Please don't add insult to injury by saying you actually think you have to pay this now. POPLA is not binding on you.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
Coupon-mad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 10
Helen59
Old 06-06-2013, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Hello,
I had a Euro Car Parks Charge Notice a month ago and as I read on all forums not to pay the fine from them, I decided not to pay it. I just received a reminder with the fine increasing from 40 to 70 pounds.
On that day I just did not see the machine and that I had to pay to park there so didn't display ticket...
So now I just see now that there has been a law since 2012 and that Euro Car Parks is on the list of BPA-approved operators.

I really don't know what to do now, 70 pounds is a very big money for me. What are the chances they continue to ask me to pay this charge notice ? Will the amount increase ? Can I appeal by any mean if the reason why I didnt pay was just that I didn't see the machine ? (especially if they have cameras on...!)

Please could you tell me what to do asap ?
Thanks a lot !
Helen59 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 11
Coupon-mad
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Posts: 26,435
Default

Just do a simple challenge to ECP like the one mentioned here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79309

''Dear Sirs

I am writing to you regarding parking charge xxxxxxxxxxx issued to vehicle xxxx xxx on xx/xx/2013, your charge is punitive and unenforceable. I require you to either cancel the charge forthwith or provide me with a popla code so that I can refer the matter to popla.

Yours faithfully''



Thanks to Concrete Jungle on pepipoo for that simple challenge which says all it needs to do and gives away no information about the driver or the situation.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
Coupon-mad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 12
Helen59
Old 10-06-2013, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for your quick reply.
Do you know what are the chances that ECP give up sending letters ?
My worry is that if I don't pay within 28 days (well, less than 20 now), is it going to increase again ? And if at the end I loose against Popla, will I have to pay a stupid big amount ?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Helen59 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 13
kirkbyinfurnesslad
Old 10-06-2013, 7:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,301
Default

No you won't have to pay.

End of
kirkbyinfurnesslad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 14
27col
Old 10-06-2013, 8:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 5,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen59 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply.
Do you know what are the chances that ECP give up sending letters ?
My worry is that if I don't pay within 28 days (well, less than 20 now), is it going to increase again ? And if at the end I loose against Popla, will I have to pay a stupid big amount ?
Thank you in advance for your help.
It doesn't matter how much it increases if you do not have to pay it.
Even if you do lose at POPLA , the decision is not binding on you. POPLA decisions are only binding on the PPC
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
27col is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to 27col For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Pinacolada
Old 04-07-2013, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 27
Default Ethical Parking Management Company

Hello,

I got a ticket from Ethical Parking Management Company, who are members of BPA approved operators. The ticket was issued in my work car park - I had bought a ticket which had just fallen off the dashboard when I slammed shut the door (it was windy). I scanned the ticket in immediately and sent it to them with my appeal. I still have the valid ticket. You could clearly see the ticket by looking in through the window - it just wasn't on the dashboard. You can't see it in the pictures the parking warden took either as the glare from the sun has turned the window glass into mirrors.

I appealed it and they upheld the ticket. I can go to popla but Ethical have warned me that going to popla and losing will incur even further costs.

I've read on here that the tickets are not binding and I shouldn't pay - is this the case? I'm leaving the job soon so not worried about that side of things, I just don't want to be taken to court and fined an even larger amount.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Pinacolada is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 16
Guys Dad
Old 04-07-2013, 7:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinacolada View Post
Hello,

I got a ticket from Ethical Parking Management Company, who are members of BPA approved operators. The ticket was issued in my work car park - I had bought a ticket which had just fallen off the dashboard when I slammed shut the door (it was windy). I scanned the ticket in immediately and sent it to them with my appeal. I still have the valid ticket. You could clearly see the ticket by looking in through the window - it just wasn't on the dashboard. You can't see it in the pictures the parking warden took either as the glare from the sun has turned the window glass into mirrors.

I appealed it and they upheld the ticket. I can go to popla but Ethical have warned me that going to popla and losing will incur even further costs.

I've read on here that the tickets are not binding and I shouldn't pay - is this the case? I'm leaving the job soon so not worried about that side of things, I just don't want to be taken to court and fined an even larger amount.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are the odds.

Pay the charge - odds of it getting to court Nil

Ignore - (you miss the chance of going through POPLA where we reckon on success in the high 90%s or even higher) and you will have to pay the higher amount if they take you to court and you lose. Someone - what's this PPC's track record of going to court??

Use our help via POPLA and we reckon you will win. No guarantees and you could have to pay more if you lose in court. But you will be able to afford it as you will have won the lottery (There's a better chance of that than losing in court!!!)

Read a few threads and decide on what you want to do.
Guys Dad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Guys Dad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
kirkbyinfurnesslad
Old 04-07-2013, 8:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,301
Default

They don't do court
kirkbyinfurnesslad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to kirkbyinfurnesslad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Coupon-mad
Old 04-07-2013, 8:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Posts: 26,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinacolada View Post
Hello,

I got a ticket from Ethical Parking Management Company, who are members of BPA approved operators. The ticket was issued in my work car park - I had bought a ticket which had just fallen off the dashboard when I slammed shut the door (it was windy). I scanned the ticket in immediately and sent it to them with my appeal. I still have the valid ticket. You could clearly see the ticket by looking in through the window - it just wasn't on the dashboard. You can't see it in the pictures the parking warden took either as the glare from the sun has turned the window glass into mirrors.

I appealed it and they upheld the ticket. I can go to popla but Ethical have warned me that going to popla and losing will incur even further costs.

I've read on here that the tickets are not binding and I shouldn't pay - is this the case? I'm leaving the job soon so not worried about that side of things, I just don't want to be taken to court and fined an even larger amount.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advice is to start a new thread and not post on an old/archived and pruned discussion thread which serves no useful purpose (not you, this old thread of 'feedback')! Start your own but only when you have read quite a few other threads first, so at least you will have read current advice and know about challenging it, NOT ignoring it.

If you have got a POPLA code this will be where you WIN IT if you get help to word your POPLA appeal (but please, no immediate thread saying 'help I need to write a POPLA appeal' seeing as examples are everywhere on new threads! Please read around the forum to at least start you off writing a draft for us to help you with).

See my signature for where to click to see the USEFUL threads on the forum, not this one. Happy reading about example POPLA appeals.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 04-07-2013 at 8:20 PM.
Coupon-mad is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
peter_the_piper
Old 04-07-2013, 9:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: sunny sussex
Posts: 16,928
Default

Why do people see a thread that says POPLA FEEDBACK and think there is a good place to ask about my parking ticket? There is a whole section to post their new topic in.
Sorry if its a rant but I wanted to look at feedback and just see ticket queries.
Children are forever not just Christmas.
peter_the_piper is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Dasypygal
Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Default

I have successfully appealed a parking charge levied against me by ParkingEye Ltd.

The assessor wrote

"The Appellant has made various submissions but I only propose to deal with the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on which is the genuine pre- estimate of loss. The Appellant submits that no loss was suffered by the Operator and the parking charge is disproportionately high and fails to reflect the actual loss suffered as a result of the breach.
The signage produced by the Operator states that a failure to comply with the terms and conditions will lead to a charge of £100 being issued. This wording seems to indicate that the charge represents damages for a breach of the parking contract and therefore the charge must be a genuine pre- estimate of loss.
As the Appellant has raised the issue of the charge not being a genuine pre- estimate of loss, the onus is on the Operator to prove that it is. The Operator has stated that the parking charge is fair and reasonable but has made no attempt to address what loss was suffered by the Appellant’s breach of the terms and conditions of parking.
I have looked at all of the evidence and have decided to allow this appeal on the basis that the Operator has failed to prove that the parking charge amount was a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed."

Hope this helps others.
Dasypygal is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dasypygal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 27 August 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.