Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Egg Money migration...or not.... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Egg Money migration...or not....
Views: 7,576
# 21
trinidadone
Old 24-09-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havent Got View Post
The ybs website is running very slow so should work better when everyone has finished registering.

Using IE9 I can see my ybs accounts but not the external ones I used to see in egg money manager.

A search on the ybs site shows:

"Q: How do I add an account to Money Manager?

To add an account to Money Manager simply log in to your account, click 'Edit' in the 'External accounts' section, select the organisation you want to add an account to and follow the instructions."

At the moment the "external accounts" section is not visible on the screen but hopefully will appear when things have settled down.

I suggest you take a look late on tonight.
Hello Havent Got,

this is very helpful to know, so YBS DOES have money manager then???? i will wait a day or so, and register my other external accounts, thankyou,m this was very helpful
Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
Reaper
Old 24-09-2012, 1:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have just done the switch to the First Direct one. It's a bit hidden on their web site so if you are looking for it is called "Internet Banking Plus" and can be found under their "Links to other services".

After a few minutes of use I am quite impressed. It works a bit better than the Egg Money Manager and even lets you include non-financial stuff like Nectar points and Air Miles.

I am a FD customer but I don't think you need to be to use it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
Mr K
Old 24-09-2012, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Do First Direct still offer the account aggregation service ? Had a look on their site and can see no mention of it any longer.

EDIT: Ah , thanks Reaper just seen your post.
# 24
Power Kitten
Old 24-09-2012, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I can see my external accounts in it. Very slow, but like you're saying, everyone's having a look. Crashed a couple of times, and I have a transfer I want to do. Think I'll wait...

Couple of things I'm not too impressed about. Can't find the sort code, why on earth not? I'd like to update details elsewhere. Also, before the switch, customer services told me that cheques would now have to be payable to YBS. That's a real pain, as whenever I've received the odd cheque before, I'd just posted it straight over without having to get my current account involved. And that's another thing, don't think it's freepost any more.

So First Direct apparently works in the same way then? I liked being able to withdraw to who/wherever I wanted. I was just looking at Principality but wording implies you're only allowed to withdraw to one account. Are most savings accounts the same as the latter?
# 25
Power Kitten
Old 24-09-2012, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another thing that's a bit irksome: noticed that amount I'm able to withdraw is 1 less than what's in there. So they make you keep in a minimum of 1. Doesn't really affect anything, but I like having the choice to clean my account out if I need or want to...
# 26
Power Kitten
Old 24-09-2012, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I have just done the switch to the First Direct one. I am a FD customer but I don't think you need to be to use it.
You do need a PC and Windows though. Gah. Their other savings accounts want you to be a customer already, so quite surprised if this particular one doesn't require it.
# 27
miller
Old 24-09-2012, 2:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Kitten View Post
Can't find the sort code, why on earth not? I'd like to update details elsewhere. Also, before the switch, customer services told me that cheques would now have to be payable to YBS.
I dug out the FAQ sent in July:

Do I ned to change my bank details for my existing standing order and electronic payments including Direct Debits?
No. Any existing payment arrangements details using sort code 40-61-99 and your old Egg account number will continue...

How do I set up a future deposit by standing order or electronic payment including Direct Debits?
...after 24th September 2012. Please use the following details:
Sort Code: 60-92-04 (operated through NatWest), Account Number: the first 8 digits of your new account number, Reference: the full 10 digits of your new account number

Can I continue to make deposits using paying in books and pre-paid envelopes?
You can carry on using your existing paying in slips and envelopes.

How can I make deposits using cheques?
Payments made by cheque should be made payable to "Yorkshire Building Society (your name and your new account number)". It then gives a different address to the Camberley one.

I still have a supply of postage paid envelopes (newer ones required a stamp)- quite useful for clearing the odd cheque or two.

The last two statements contradict themselves a bit - I'd still bet cheques can go via the green envelopes without the payee being YBS, but could be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to miller For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
innovate
Old 24-09-2012, 2:44 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I enquired at YBS about the migration of EMM and got the following answer

Quote:
The Money Manager Service is currently unavailable due to a technical problem; we expect this to be up and running from tomorrow morning. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

When the Money Manager is running, you will see it below your account list when logged in. Once you have downloaded a component from us, you will see all the accounts you had set up on your egg money manager, without needing to re-enter the login information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Reaper
Old 24-09-2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
So First Direct apparently works in the same way then? I liked being able to withdraw to who/wherever I wanted. I was just looking at Principality but wording implies you're only allowed to withdraw to one account. Are most savings accounts the same as the latter?
Not quite sure what you mean by this. The tool to see all your accounts in one place (what was the Egg Money Manager) is not a savings account itself. It just lists all your accounts and their balances across all the various companies you use.

Whether or not you can withdraw directly from a savings account to an external account depends on the rules for the particular accounts you are using.
# 30
MSE Andrea
Old 24-09-2012, 2:48 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Hi

Yorkshire Building Society has asked to give a reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything an organisation says on the Forum.

We are experiencing high levels of activity in the account management area of our site. As a result you may experience some delays when logging in to your account. I'm extremely sorry for any inconvenience and disruption this causes. We are currently trying to resolve these issues. Thanks for your patience.

Nick

Nick Gander
E-commerce Channel Manager
Yorkshire Building Society

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
# 31
Power Kitten
Old 24-09-2012, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ah, thanks for the info. They should have all the new details easily accessible online though, for those of us who don't have that bit of paper, or indeed just in general. Sloppiness that'll be ironed out later, I guess.

Edit: this was meant as response to Miller for the FAQs.

Last edited by Power Kitten; 24-09-2012 at 2:59 PM.
# 32
Power Kitten
Old 24-09-2012, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by this. The tool to see all your accounts in one place (what was the Egg Money Manager) is not a savings account itself. It just lists all your accounts and their balances across all the various companies you use.

Whether or not you can withdraw directly from a savings account to an external account depends on the rules for the particular accounts you are using.
Hmm, I could never see my balances in my external accounts... Anyway, doesn't matter now. What I meant was I liked being able to pay money to several places from my savings account. Clicking on my savings, withdrawing money, and choosing where to withdraw it to. If I do open a new savings account, I don't want to have to withdraw to my current account first; I want to still be able to do multiple transactions direct.
# 33
Onawingandaprayer
Old 24-09-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Hmm, I could never see my balances in my external accounts...
If you'd entered all the passwords etc and still couldn't see them, it maybe because of browser you are using. Egg Money manager only worked with Internet Explore 6 or higher. Suspect YBS system will be the same.
# 34
innovate
Old 24-09-2012, 4:10 PM
PPR

Quote:
Hmm, I could never see my balances in my external accounts...
It is very unlikely you were using EMM then.
# 35
Onawingandaprayer
Old 24-09-2012, 4:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A 4.10pm update. It works!

It's as slow as something that's really, really slow, but I managed to see all of my accounts. (It would have been a bit quicker to visit each institution by car, but maybe that's just YBS teething problems.)

A tip: on Firefox, it asked me to to download the password safe and then it timed out and told me it had been unsuccessful. However, it was still downloading in the background and WAS successful.

Apparently it works on Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Just hope it speeds up...
The Following User Says Thank You to Onawingandaprayer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
innovate
Old 24-09-2012, 4:14 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Andrea View Post
Hi

Yorkshire Building Society has asked to give a reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything an organisation says on the Forum.

We are experiencing high levels of activity in the account management area of our site. As a result you may experience some delays when logging in to your account. I'm extremely sorry for any inconvenience and disruption this causes. We are currently trying to resolve these issues. Thanks for your patience.

Nick

Nick Gander
E-commerce Channel Manager
Would be nice if YBS put a few quid into everyone's account to compensate for the time we all wasted today because the migration wasn't promised as completed. This - and a properly working service (incl. Money Manager) by tomorrow start of business might just convince me from not closing my account.
# 37
innovate
Old 24-09-2012, 4:33 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onawingandaprayer View Post
A 4.10pm update. It works!
Took me roughly 15 minutes to log just now (on Chrome), and there's no sign of Money Manager for me :-(

EDIT: Ah, here we go: another 4 minutes on, and I can now see the "password safe download" option.

Message now received:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the download of the password safe was unsuccessful. There are a number of possible reasons for this, click here to find out more

I am beginning to wonder whether YBS hired some of the RBS/Natwest IT folk.

Last edited by innovate; 24-09-2012 at 4:45 PM.
# 38
Mr K
Old 24-09-2012, 4:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Bit of a shambles really. Didn't YBS expect their to be increased demand and made extra provision ? Still not managed to transfer my account

I suspect most of Eggs ex customers just kept accounts open for the Money Manager service. I've gone with First Direct version, you don't need to be a customers of theirs. Impressed so far, a lot better set out and they offer a lot more organisations e.g. utility and mobile phone companies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr K For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
innovate
Old 24-09-2012, 4:59 PM
PPR

If you want to close your account, you need to send a letter to

Savings Service Administration Dept
Yorkshire House
Yorkshire Drive
BRADFORD
BD5 8LJ

For balances up to 5K, you can request a bank transfer to an account of your choice (they need sort code, acct number and account name) . For balances of 5K and over, you will receive a cheque.
# 40
miller
Old 24-09-2012, 5:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate View Post
I am beginning to wonder whether YBS hired some of the RBS/Natwest IT folk.
Or the same bunch who did the Egg Money to Barclaycard migration.

Or the Alliance & Leicester to Santander migration.