Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 12th Sep 12, 8:02 PM
    • 1,879Posts
    • 1,254Thanks
    Shelldean
    watchdog - wonga loans
    • 12th Sep 12, 8:02 PM
    watchdog - wonga loans 12th Sep 12 at 8:02 PM
    on now, watchdog said they're going to be talking about Wonga loans.

Where you've not had a loan but they clear your account anyway.
Page 1
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 12th Sep 12, 8:49 PM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    lovinituk
    • 12th Sep 12, 8:49 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 8:49 PM
    The guy they had in from Wonga was well out of his depth! Stuttering and repeating the same things, was very amusing watching him squirm
  • Moneyproblems111
    • 12th Sep 12, 8:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 8:52 PM
    Ah missed this hopefully catch it on BBC Ipayer as do like watching it when talking about debts/loans/banks
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 12th Sep 12, 9:02 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 11,981 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:02 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:02 PM
    Anne trapped the Head of Marketing into agreeing to refund any victims of fraud that Wonga have collected money from their accounts along with interest at the same rate Wonga charge.

Epic fail by their marketing guy, someone's gonna be in trouble with three pensioners tomorrow. Earls gonna give him a right bad boy going over.
    • Heffi1
    • By Heffi1 12th Sep 12, 9:03 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 3,574 Thanks
    Heffi1
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:03 PM
    I think that man is for the sack, he clearly did not expect that question from Anne, but may have recovered himself just at the end.
    YNAB has been a revelation and is helping me make my money go further than it ever has before. If you fancy trying it, use my referral link and get 10% off the cost. http://ynab.refr.cc/CD3RJDL
  • topsales
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:05 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:05 PM
    Looking forward to receiving repayment plus interest as promised after fraud on my account!
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 12th Sep 12, 9:08 PM
    • 9,765 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:08 PM
    He said exactly the same amount that they lost, plus an extra payment.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 12th Sep 12, 9:13 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 11,981 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:13 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 9:13 PM
    Lol I've just found this caption competition on wonga's twitter feed. The temptation to enter and refer to Darryl Bowman the ex Wonga marketing manager has over come me.

Please do not copy me as I don't think Wonga or Darryl (Gerald Ratner) Bowman would appreciate it...

https://twitter.com/WongaGillian/status/245832969414139904/photo/1
  • LeeB1988
    • 12th Sep 12, 10:17 PM
    • 12th Sep 12, 10:17 PM
    I think even Ann was shocked when he agreed to refund plus the massive interest for victims of fraud lol
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 12th Sep 12, 10:21 PM
    • 9,765 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I think even Ann was shocked when he agreed to refund plus the massive interest for victims of fraud lol
    Originally posted by LeeB1988
    She caught him off-guard. He back pedalled at the end.
  • Daedalus
    She caught him off-guard. He back pedalled at the end.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    That was not my understand, you honour...
    • fermi
    • By fermi 13th Sep 12, 8:31 AM
    • 39,033 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    fermi
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01ms174/?t=42m58s
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 13th Sep 12, 8:55 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    roddydogs
    They should be prosecuted for their dreadful ageist advert, as they would be if it targeted certain other minority groups. Portraying old people as stupid & "Ga Ga"
    • Treadmill
    • By Treadmill 13th Sep 12, 9:03 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Treadmill
    Wonga ads get everywhere, I don't think there is a free iPhone app that doesn't have them.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Sep 12, 9:19 AM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 3,853 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The guy they had in from Wonga was well out of his depth! Stuttering and repeating the same things, was very amusing watching him squirm
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    Have you noticed the chair for the guest is different from Annes. Its a small perch difficult to relax in.
    Im no Gok Wan, but tartan skirt, leather top and bright red harry potter glasses ?.
    • MrSilk
    • By MrSilk 13th Sep 12, 10:28 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    MrSilk
    Although I've never required the need to use Wonga, or been affected by any payments out of my account *touch wood*, I can truly sympathise with people who have.

I'm glad that this company who classes itself as a 'responsible lender' but prays on vulnerable people and charges hideous interest rates have been investigated by Watchdog and I believe that this investigation is well and truly long overdue.

I hope that the people affected by incorrect and scandalous charges are refunded immediately, along with the terrifying amount of interest Wonga charge, after all; that's what he agree'd.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 13th Sep 12, 11:02 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    Originally posted by LeeB1988
    Anne Robinson's interview style is terrible. I know she wants to be forceful with her guests, but it's completely counter-productive.

The interview is for the interviewee to be heard, yet Anne seems to just go down the "me me me" approach. At the end of the interview, nobody is any the wiser.

If she actually allowed her guests to answer the questions put to them, then these interviews might serve a purpose. Instead, she seems to think that it is her personal responsibility to berate whichever PR junior has been sent along to Television Centre.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Apples2
    I wonder how many genuine borrowers are going to try the "it wasn't me" card?

About time the "I've had my card stolen so cancelled it" was replaced.
  • robpw2
    @WongaGillian anne robinson reading wonga contracts before #bbcwatchdog pic.twitter.com/BGHRWmrz

its humourous to me not sure they will like it

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • MrSilk
    • By MrSilk 13th Sep 12, 1:36 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    MrSilk
    @WongaGillian anne robinson reading wonga contracts before #bbcwatchdog pic.twitter.com/BGHRWmrz

its humourous to me not sure they will like it
    Originally posted by robpw2
    Seems that Anne has put a spanner in the works and now they have a HUGE grudge against someone who is only doing their job and speaking on behalf of all the innocent vulnerably people they have shafted... Says a lot about the company though doesn't it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter