September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• one of the many things i should not be having on my diet mmmmmmm baked pots mmmmmmm bacon
    Just had bacon butties and a cup of tea with 2 sugars the 5 yr old wanted it so rude not to join him :)
    January Grocery Challenge £203.50/£200 :)
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge £59.20/£200
  • Just popping in to update my sig as spent another £16.16 on Fri evening on groceries but still being very good and not buying anything we don't need (yet).

Having a freezer meal for Sunday lunch today (bit of a mis-match of whoops pork with some kind of stuffing and 1 pack of 'buy 3 packs for £10' steaks, & potatoes plus using up some very tasting looking old veg from the fridge :D . Unfortunately freezer, fridge & cupboards all starting to look a bit bare. 2 of the kids are away this week and not sure yet what #3 is doing but it's looking like it might just be me & OH for most of the week so we should manage quite a cheap week. But back to normal next weekend then back to school a few days after so I'd better start meal planning.

Tell you what I must share with you my frugal friends, and forgive me if you already know this or it's already in the recipe list, but discovered a Jam!e recipe for pancakes... 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of flour (plain flour will give you crepe-style pancakes, SR will give you scotch pancakes) and a pinch of salt. Just give 'em a good whisk and away you go!! I get 17 pancakes out of this mix for literally pence. The kids love them for supper and then there are some left for breakfast too. I will never buy them again. Considering how much cereal, bread and milk our lot go through this saves us a lot of money on suppers/breakfasts :j
    June 2015 Grocery Challenge [/B]£126.38/£360 :eek:
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" ~ 8 (2015) - No 480 £12.60 :A
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Made the first spends out of my September budget. Spent exactly £90, £59 at aldi and £31 at tesco. I used my £5 0ff coupon at Aldi and some of the other vouchers so ended up with about £70's worth of food. Have a nice big stock of food at the minute. I have another Aldi voucher ( spend £35 get £5 off ) that last till next Thursday so will weigh up in the week if i need to use it. I suppose i could do a stock up meat for the freezer.

Cant wait to get paid so I can draw the cash out of the bank to put in my shopping purse, i like to actually have the cash because I find it really focuses my mind. Still need some fruit and want to nip to Heron or Iceland to stock up on Frozen veg. Out for dinner tomorrow for DH birthday but thats out of another budget and my sister is bringing chicken for diner today so just need to provide the veg. Have fun everyone x
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks missmucksmum, really sounds lovely, but am on a diet, so will sprinkle some water on and reheat. WOuld i just chuck it in the oven at 180 for 30mins or so?
  • I would say more 15 mins in a preheated oven just stick a knife into check and if the tip of the knife which has been in the middle of the potatoes is hot then its done if cold then not heated all the way ( you could always nuke in the microwave for 1 and a half mins if your not fussed about the skin x
    January Grocery Challenge £203.50/£200 :)
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge £59.20/£200
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    I just wanted to share that my elderflower champagne is top notch :j

I am sterilising my shiny new 1ltr swing top bottles from ikea ready for transferring my HM nectar into for gifting.

I am trying some now and it is quite alcoholic despite claims that it isn't.

I don't generally drink due to the effect it has on me. I feel flushed and tired and woozy even after a spritzer and I am experiencing this now with just a few sips.

It IS very pleasant though, hic ;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    So far I am on a "low spend" weekend rather than a NSW/end as planned.

I gave a small sum of money as a gift to a kind young friend who fixed my bike, then this morning I went (on said bike!) to the Farmers Market to get some apples for the week - even though I was meaning not to spend.

I feel ok with this because:

1 - I really wanted to give a little gift to the lad who did me a favour and apart from anything else he used his own oil and lubricant on the chain

2 - It makes sense to get the apples from the Farmers Market rather than the shops, they are cheaper, organic, local and delicious, new season's ones just out!

So, still feeling ok about minute amount of spend during the supposed NSW/end.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Oh dear.........another £35 spent on a meal out today!!

I have updated signature :o

To be fair its OH Bday tomorrow and bank hols wkend so it is nice to go out and have a treat- I will just have to really really tighten my belt this month, grit my teeth and plan plan plan to get to with my target

Wish me luck (im gonna flaming need it :rotfl:)
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NSD today. I have been having a sort out day and have cleared out a lot of boxes and baskets. I have also made some GF choc buns and have a GF version of my favourite non GF ginger cake recipe in the oven as I type. I have shared one of the buns with my 2 year old, quality testing of course;), who said 'mmmmm,nice' so I think they passed the test:rotfl:

The cake and buns are going to be frozen until next weekend as they are for our caravan holiday.

Defrosted a gammon joint with parsley sauce this morning but DH has had an invite to the pub this afternoon so I will stick it in the fridge and cook it tomorrow. He won't fancy it later and can have the other half of his lunchtime chilli when he gets in. I will have something from the freezer.

DH and I have decided that we need to make more of an effort to meet up with our friends, on our own and as a couple so I need to find some extra funds to finance this. We over spend every month on the GC and if I could just hit my target we would have the extra £s for our personal spends/entertainment budget. I am debating increasing our personal spends but out of this we will have to buy any wine or beers we want out of this as DHs beers can really stretch my budget. Just need to convince DH;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jennypennysaver, I've added your Pancakes recipe to the front page list :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family