Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 30th May 07, 8:37 PM
    • 6,888Posts
    • 11,508Thanks
    dori2o
    Re-slate roof
    • 30th May 07, 8:37 PM
    Re-slate roof 30th May 07 at 8:37 PM
    I live in a late 1800's mid-terrace and I want the roof re-slating (using the existing slate)

I have bee quoted £1500 for the removal, felting, new battening, and reslate, including replacement of any broken/unuseable slate

Is this a good offer.
Page 1
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 31st May 07, 1:22 AM
    • 6,888 Posts
    • 11,508 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 31st May 07, 1:22 AM
    • 31st May 07, 1:22 AM
    ***bump***
    • plumb1
    • By plumb1 2nd Jun 07, 3:15 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    plumb1
    • 2nd Jun 07, 3:15 PM
    • 2nd Jun 07, 3:15 PM

Is this a good offer.
    Originally posted by dori2o

imo Yes, if you factour in the cost of scaffolding, and materials, labour.
    • Loobysaver
    • By Loobysaver 3rd Jun 07, 8:53 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Loobysaver
    • 3rd Jun 07, 8:53 PM
    • 3rd Jun 07, 8:53 PM
    Sounds good to me especially as it is costing me £2800 to have the same done to my 3bed semi
  • never enough
    • 8th Jun 07, 1:07 AM
    • 8th Jun 07, 1:07 AM
    Sounds good to me too. Were they recommended to you?
    I know someone who has just paid £2,500 in Wales for a 2 bed end terrace.
    [Lucky you, I've been told it will be around £10,000 for a re-roof on my place ]
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 8th Jun 07, 11:52 AM
    • 13,150 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 8th Jun 07, 11:52 AM
    • 8th Jun 07, 11:52 AM
    It actually sounds to good to be true, to me!

Scaffolding alone would be anything between £600-£1000 and natural slates work out at approx £1 each. I would check them out very carefully - will they give you references from other customers? Will they show you a sample of the slate? Is it natural slate? Imported? Guaranteed?
    • Loobysaver
    • By Loobysaver 8th Jun 07, 2:50 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Loobysaver
    • 8th Jun 07, 2:50 PM
    • 8th Jun 07, 2:50 PM
    It actually sounds to good to be true, to me!

Scaffolding alone would be anything between £600-£1000 and natural slates work out at approx £1 each. I would check them out very carefully - will they give you references from other customers? Will they show you a sample of the slate? Is it natural slate? Imported? Guaranteed?
    Originally posted by Debt_Free_Chick

If you read the original post carefully you will see that they say they are going to re-use the slates.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 8th Jun 07, 3:38 PM
    • 13,150 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 8th Jun 07, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Jun 07, 3:38 PM
    If you read the original post carefully you will see that they say they are going to re-use the slates.
    Originally posted by Loobysaver

A very good point!

Even so - and it depends on the size of the property - it still sounds too cheap. We paid £1000 just for scaffolding to build an extension - that was a "mate's rate" and cash!

I would just want to verify the contractor and make sure that I was not being quoted a "cowboy" price for a cowboy job!
    • Sobraon
    • By Sobraon 8th Jun 07, 3:52 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Sobraon
    • 8th Jun 07, 3:52 PM
    • 8th Jun 07, 3:52 PM
    I tried reusing (1823) slates but when I had a close look at them I decided (not the builder) that they all really did need replacing at about 90p each for 30yr Spanish slate (ISTR)- afraid I ended up paying a lot, lot, more for the work but it included rebuilding the chimney stacks.
  • satan666wayne

We paid £1000 just for scaffolding to build an extension - that was a "mate's rate" and cash!
    Originally posted by Debt_Free_Chick
    I would get a new mate.
  • sbanks
    On the outside this looks a very good price, you didint mention the approx dimensions of the roof however ? it could be a small roof, terraced houses come in all sizes after all

I am a professional roofer and run a succesful roofing business in south cumbria, My advice would be to check the quotes fully before commiting to giving the go ahead to a contractor:

* Is it a quotation or just an estimate?
    * Is it fully written signed and dated?
    * Is the quote inclusive of vat?

Does the quote include the following:

All scaffolding
    Removal of all debris from site
    New leadwork if needed
    Breathable felt, not essential but i personally wouldnt advise not using

Can the contractor provide:
    References (ALWAYS CHECK) anybody could go through the phone book and pluck out names and addresses
    A copy of his current public liability insurances
    A home address and landline number in case anything should go wrong, again make sure you check

It is also worth asking (just to be curious!) what would be the cost for a full new roof using bought in reclaimed slates BEFORE he tells you the slates are not worth keeping and he needs to buy all new , then i would take this figure and the £1500 quote, work out the average and use that as a more realistic figure, Any less and its a bonus !

Hope that helps in some way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,697Posts Today

6,788Users online

Martin's Twitter