Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Home Insurance Direct Debit Fee
    • 9th Jul 12, 10:11 AM
    Home Insurance Direct Debit Fee 9th Jul 12 at 10:11 AM

This is my first time writing in ay forum so please forgive me if etiquette has not been followed!

I pay for my home & contents insurance via monthly Direct Debit. I'm happy with what I'm paying and the service I'm getting. However, I recently renewed my policy and found an extra payment of 15 has gone to my insurance provider.

I must state at this point that the few first lines of my renewal letter said something along the lines of "... if you're renewing your existing policy you don't need to do anything else...", so I didn't. After reading that I stopped reading and filed the letter.

After phoning them this morning about the extra 15 debit they told me that it is because I never signed and returned the new credit agreement. I argued that they didn't need it signed because they have started to take my new payments anyway and that the renewal letter said that I didn't need to do anything more. They countered with something to do with a regulatory requirement of having a signed agreement. I came back with the same arguement and we went round in circles for a bit.

Anyway, it ended in stalemate between myself and the customer service rep so I thought I would ask on here if anyone knows if this fee for not signing and returning a credit agreement is legit?

Thanks for you help.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,452Users online

Martin's Twitter