IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
toby carvery
Views: 1,760
# 1
hammer68
Old 18-06-2012, 6:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default toby carvery

morning all

visited the local toby carvery yesterday to find they had introduced a ticket machine and the car park now run by LPS.Asking the manager why this is now happening he mentioned that too many people were parking there to use the local shops/church etc fair enough stopping legit customer using premises, so the system that is implemented is that you pay 2 for a ticket half of it stays in the car and the other half you present in the pub when ordering food/drink and you get the 2 back.seems ok but i did present him with a scenario and it went like this.

customer turns up with no change, goes to the bar and has to wait 10-15 mins before getting served (which is quite common) in the meantime his table becomes available forgets to go out and get ticket sits down eats meal, has drinks pays bill goes back out to car finds pcn attached to w/screen what happens then.

answer, we have been told once pcn ( or fine in his words) has been issued they can do nothing about it mmmm (gets better) so if dont pay what next - you get taken to court, by whom - the parking company -they cant take me to court - why not - do they own the land - no - thats why not - ok so why do they then ask for 90 or 45 if paid in 14 days is that your actual losses - what do you mean - well as i have say spent 50 on food and drink and not bought a ticket all they can recover is losses incurred so would your losses be 45 or 90 or 0- no answer given - anyway parking is nothing to do with us - yes it is - why - because as you have hired them you are jointly liable for any harraament claim that you might receive -harrassment claim ??? - yes as one company or person cannot penalise another person or company what they are asking for is a penalty not a reasonable loss so with the expected threatening letters that then entail your company can open itself up to an harrassment claim- wouldnt it be better just to pay the 2 - have you actually listened to the point i raised and with that he just turned round muttering he was busy. Now before i getted shouted down all i was mentioning a scenario that might happen and the possible loss of custom and before you ask i did pay the 2.

seems like another large company has been fed the B******T by this company because they were told do have a recognised certification by the BPA, i did mention that they were run by the parking companies and only look after their own.

any way rant over have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hammer68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Stephen Leak
Old 18-06-2012, 6:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Write to the CEO. The organ grinder, not the monkey.

I would also suggest that you also make a formal staff attitude complaint against the manager for his rudeness. You do not turn your back on and walk away from a customer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
hammer68
Old 18-06-2012, 7:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i have emailed mitchells and butler the above scenario and have asked if they could implement a system that if a customer genuinely forgets to purchase a ticket, spends money and then gets a pcn that they can cancel it on the spot. i await their reply
The Following User Says Thank You to hammer68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Stephen Leak
Old 18-06-2012, 7:17 AM

Re-arrange the following words into a well-known phrase or saying ... us, with, do, to, nothing, it's.
# 5
prowla
Old 18-06-2012, 9:20 AM

Seems like the bar staff don't know the legalities, may not even be happy with the situation, and don't really feel it's their place to deal with "what-if" scenarios.

Too many companies are now charging for parking, and basically you have the option of going elsewhere.
# 6
halibut2209
Old 18-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Leak View Post
I would also suggest that you also make a formal staff attitude complaint against the manager for his rudeness. You do not turn your back on and walk away from a customer.
I couldn't disagree more.

We all know that this scam isn't well known. So if I was an uninformed staff member, and some smart alec came in acting all clever, trying to "catch me out" then I'd damn well walk away as well. The OP sounded extremely patronising.
One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halibut2209 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
fb1969
Old 18-06-2012, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My experience of complaining to M&B's head office is that they pass it straight to the landlord/manager of the place concerned. So I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a worthwhile reply.
# 8
Stephen Leak
Old 18-06-2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1969 View Post
My experience of complaining to M&B's head office is that they pass it straight to the landlord/manager of the place concerned. So I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a worthwhile reply.
Which is why complaints like this should go to the top, the CEO. Their name should on record. Then, if the reply comes back from anyone else, throw it back at them, demanding a reply from the person you wrote to.

I spent 28 years in customer service. I expect the same level of service I gave my customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
27col
Old 18-06-2012, 4:00 PM

None of the above means anything whatsoever as presumably the person parking does not have to pay the penalty anyway. But by all means write to the CEO. The best solution is to vote with your feet and let the manager know why at the same time. By the way, who are LPS, do they ever do court.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
# 10
mikey72
Old 18-06-2012, 7:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Loss of the odd real customer here and there will be more than made up for by the actual customers that can now park and use the pub, when the motorists using the local shops/church etc have been scared away. And enough will be. One of our locals was plagued with shoppers. We used to block them in the small yard which usually parked double anyway. Then watch them sheepishly come in, and give them the run around for half an hour until we could "find" the owner of the car that blocked them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
halibut2209
Old 18-06-2012, 8:15 PM

Ahh, good old vigilantism. Can't beat it.
One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
# 12
Stephen Leak
Old 18-06-2012, 8:32 PM

Interesting. You complain about inconsiderate parking in a hospital car park and now block someone in (which, legally, is the same as clamping them, ie. depriving them of the use of their property) in a pub car park.

Mind you, I'd have probably done the same. But that's because I'm a vindictive !!!!!!!.

I have every sympathy for anyone that pays good money to provide a car park for their customers, and then finds non-customers using it. But, unfortunately, there isn't a legal way of enforcing this. Using a PPC isn't the answer. The only real solution is a receipted ticket exit barrier. A local (slightly) out-of-town department store uses this, and it works.

Last edited by Stephen Leak; 18-06-2012 at 8:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Kite2010
Old 18-06-2012, 8:40 PM

Even if you don't buy a ticket but spend money in the pub, the pub's losses are zero as they would have given you back the money.

Easiest way is to avoid that pub, tell your friends/family/work collegues to do the same,.
# 14
mikey72
Old 18-06-2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Leak View Post
Interesting. You complain about inconsiderate parking in a hospital car park and now block someone in (which, legally is the same as clamping them - depriving them of the use of their property) in a pub car park.

Mind you, I'd have probably done the same. But that's because I'm a vindictive !!!!!!!.

I have every sympathy for anyone that pays good money to provide a car park for their customers, and then finds non-customers using it. But, unfortunately, there isn't a legal way of enforcing this. Using a PPC isn't the answer. The only real solution is a receipted ticket exit barrier. A local (slightly) out-of-town department store uses this, and it works.
It's the same complaint. I don't like inconsiderate parking. Be it in a hospital, or a pub, (and not wishing to discuss the hospital case, but simply saying sometimes they're abused), or a supermarket, someone paid for the carpark, it's a cost to the business, and I want to use it correctly. It shouldn't take a barrier to enforce it. (This pub could fit in about 15 cars, parked nose to tail 4 deep. A barrier would have been ridiculous really) The middle ground is good, and the right to trespass isn't my viewpoint. (And I'm really vindictive too)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mikey72
Old 18-06-2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite2010 View Post
Even if you don't buy a ticket but spend money in the pub, the pub's losses are zero as they would have given you back the money.

Easiest way is to avoid that pub, tell your friends/family/work collegues to do the same,.
They're not. The pub would give a discount of say 2, providing you spent money with them. So the losses aren't zero, as they still make a profit by you going in, and possible repeat business from it. Whereas if you don't shop there, then they are losing the potential of a paying customer whose space you're in, that may not come back for future visits either.
# 16
Walaboobah
Old 26-06-2012, 9:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
They're not. The pub would give a discount of say 2, providing you spent money with them. So the losses aren't zero, as they still make a profit by you going in, and possible repeat business from it. Whereas if you don't shop there, then they are losing the potential of a paying customer whose space you're in, that may not come back for future visits either.
Read what he said
# 17
halibut2209
Old 26-06-2012, 10:08 AM

"possible" "potential" "future".

All meaningless when it comes to losses
# 18
Stephen Leak
Old 26-06-2012, 10:30 AM

The legal term is "speculative".

By parking over a white line, I couldn't park where I wanted to. Therefore, as I had to walk further to and from the shops, I didn't have time to buy the lottery ticket I intended to. Therefore, you owe me the 68M I might have won.
# 19
trisontana
Old 26-06-2012, 10:47 AM

And how can a supermarket calculate the takings from a supposed "lost customer". 40p for a bar of chocolate or 400 for a case of vintage champagne?
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money
# 20
I-LOV-MONEY
Old 27-06-2012, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I visit my local Toby (Barnet), but because I know the parking situation, I make sure I have 2 with me. I don't mind paying this knowing that I can get the money back.

There is a Council car park directly opposite - 2 per hour, and no refund !

Our local M&S Simply Food store where again you pay for parking and get it refunded from your purchases. Most times I have the money, one time I didn't so I explained it to the attendant who seems always to be in the car park. He said "I will give you 10 minutes" ! As I knew what I wanted I was in /out within 10 minutes.
I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!