Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 5th May 12, 10:42 PM
    • 311Posts
    • 106Thanks
    sitesafe
    Guaranteed Rental Income Service - Anyone Used This
    • 5th May 12, 10:42 PM
    Guaranteed Rental Income Service - Anyone Used This 5th May 12 at 10:42 PM
    HI

Just wondered if anyone has used the guaranteed rent service through an agent either Northwood or any other.

Is there are catch?

What are the fees (or is it more cost effective to buy rent guarantee insurance instead)?

Anyone been caught out?

Anyone happy with the scheme?

Thank you
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th May 12, 11:00 PM
    • 35,525 Posts
    • 38,663 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th May 12, 11:00 PM
    • 5th May 12, 11:00 PM
    I've never used these but believe:

* you'll get way below market rent, in return for the 'guarantee'
    * you'll lose all control over which tenants are accepted, and even which type of tenant - the agency will just want a tenant in there
    * you'll have little control over property maintenance, or protection against damage - again, the agency just wants a tenant in paying rent. ANY tenant
    * if your mortage lender or insurer has stipulations as to tenant catagories, you may have conflict (see above)
    * But, yes, every month, you will (should) receive the agreed amount - no voids

I guess it suits some people, but not me.
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 5th May 12, 11:26 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    sitesafe
    • 5th May 12, 11:26 PM
    • 5th May 12, 11:26 PM
    I've never used these but believe:

* you'll get way below market rent, in return for the 'guarantee'
    * you'll lose all control over which tenants are accepted, and even which type of tenant - the agency will just want a tenant in there
    * you'll have little control over property maintenance, or protection against damage - again, the agency just wants a tenant in paying rent. ANY tenant
    * if your mortage lender or insurer has stipulations as to tenant catagories, you may have conflict (see above)
    * But, yes, every month, you will (should) receive the agreed amount - no voids

I guess it suits some people, but not me.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Thank you GM. It kind of read too good to be true on the website. I suppose one is paying the price for not having to deal with the hassle. Don't the agents only accept people that have been checked out as tenants or are they willing to accept anyone and the checks are just if the landlord wants them?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th May 12, 9:34 PM
    • 35,525 Posts
    • 38,663 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th May 12, 9:34 PM
    • 6th May 12, 9:34 PM
    . Don't the agents only accept people that have been checked out as tenants or are they willing to accept anyone and the checks are just if the landlord wants them?
    Originally posted by sitesafe
    By signing up to the guarantee scheme, you are effectively saying:

"OK, you guys pay me X per month, every month, tenant or no tenant - now here's my property"

They will clearly want to make a profit so
    a) they'll want tenants in there every month if possible and
    b) they'll want the rent to be X + Y

Tenant referencing? Maybe, but if their choice is to install an unvetted tenant, or a poor risk tenant, Vs leaving it empty, what do you think they'll do?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th May 12, 10:14 PM
    • 8,188 Posts
    • 10,693 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th May 12, 10:14 PM
    • 6th May 12, 10:14 PM
    Judging by how much North wood's franchises claim to make there must be a HUGE profit margin in there somewhere...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

3,048Users online

Martin's Twitter