Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Greenfingered MoneySaving > Grown our own, complete novice questions (Page 4)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Grown our own, complete novice questions
Closed Thread
Views: 3,687
# 61
nicola00
Old 20-04-2012, 9:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_n View Post
Leave them in until the risk of frost in your area has passed otherwise the less hardy will perish

Then over a course of a week or two aclimatise them by putting them outside the back door during the day and bringing them in at night

then plant out. Good luck. You can speed this up by using plastic bottle cloches. Don't forget to water though. Started doing this had them out all day this week

btw I saw your posts about using storage boxes. They're not usually UV fixed and as they're not 'food safe' containers, may leach chemicals such as BPA into the soil (BPA is use in many food safe containers, but has been shown to be a frog hormone disrupter).

Saying that, I used a storage box about four years ago before I became aware of BPA. I'm still alive and don't feel like my hormones have been disrupted, but then again I've never felt like an amphibian. It became very brittle after about 8 months in the sun and it shattered during the winter meaning I had shards of plastic in the soil I had to remove.
At the minute I just have the apple tree in a tub and that will be temporary, will more than likely stick to the planter bags and I also have two wicker style baskets/boxes that I'm hoping I can use
The Following User Says Thank You to nicola00 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 62
pink poppy
Old 20-04-2012, 1:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow, the apple tree was a bargain, well spotted!!
MFW...
Caledonia dreamin' ...
Started SW 18th August (I'm a tweaker)...
Determined to change my life...
The Following User Says Thank You to pink poppy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 63
nicola00
Old 20-04-2012, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink poppy View Post
Wow, the apple tree was a bargain, well spotted!!
Yeah they were sat outside looking all sad & lonely, wish I had bought a few now, they had pear too

Some TLC, watered etc and I think its alright
The Following User Says Thank You to nicola00 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 64
Isaac Dunne
Old 20-06-2012, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

have you ever thought about getting an allotment space, would give you plenty of space for you gardening, you can also get a windorsill garden, think the clue is in the name what it does, an aero garden which provides it's on light so it can be used inside, there's also some units you can get, for example hydroponic and aquaponic units which are usually kept outside but don't need to be planted, so they can go in the garden providing you have the space for them, there's a few places online that supplies these so it may be ideal for you to have a look around to see if you can find what you're looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Dunne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread