IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cleaning suede
Views: 53,610
# 1
Marsie
Old 23-09-2004, 12:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Suede Cleaning

Hi folks,

Anyone got any good tips for cleaning suede jackets, or places that do it cheaply? !I have 2 desperately in need of cleaning, but I'm in Wedding Skinflint mode and can't face the bill of £70 upwards to do both.

I know some people say you can wash them, but love them both so wouldn't like to risk it.

;D Any tips to save this huge chunk of money gratefully received.

M.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Old 23-09-2004, 2:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Re: Suede Cleaning

i have a wire brush (available from most fabric shops) and i just give mine a good brushing every so often. for any stains, i dab with luke warm water, and blot really well with kitchen roll to get out all water possible so it doesn't leave a mark. if you do wash, put in a net bag, and do on a delicate wash with no spin, put on a sturdy hanger and drip dry, pref outdoors on a good day, and don't use fabric softner as this makes them go very flat. hope this helps, haven't had mine cleaned in 2 years since someone told me about brushing it!!
# 3
cathy
Old 24-09-2004, 5:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

steam lots of lovely steam and a wire brush

you will get the brush in a shoe shop ask for a suede brush

hang over a kettle or even better if you have a steam cleaner or can cadge one from somewhere

theyll come up good as new

direct the steam on the soiled parts and wipe with clean cloth then as you continue to steam brush the pile up with the brush

The Following User Says Thank You to cathy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Old 24-09-2004, 10:33 AM

i have steam cleaner, i never thought of that. :-[ :
# 5
Marsie
Old 24-09-2004, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Aha, I currently have custody of my sister's steam cleaner, and I didn't think of it either. Will arm myself with a suede brush and go to work.

One of them is pale pink (pale pink suede, what was I thinking ???), so will have to have a bit of clean mainly round arm cuffs first, but hopefully will be OK.

Thanks folks!

M.
# 6
cathy
Old 24-09-2004, 3:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a light blue suede jacket that came up great with my steam cleaner

good luck

;D
# 7
mazza245
Old 07-03-2005, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Pale Pink Suede Boots

I got a bargain, some beautiful pale pink suede Bertie boots for £5 as they were a bit grubby! My best bargain for some time! I also bought some suede cleaner which nearly cost as much as the boots but it hasn't got them clean! I assumed that I would be able to find an old household recipe for cleaning suede but everywhere just seems to recommend the spray cleaner! Please has anyone any ideas? I suppose I could just wear them under trousers but it does seem a shame.....!
# 8
foreverskint
Old 07-03-2005, 4:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to foreverskint Send a message via Yahoo to foreverskint

i had a suede cleaner from Brantano that worked. it was like a small fine sanding block and cost around £2.50. You could try some very fine sandpaper on any stubborn marks but you would have to be very careful. I expect somebody willl know f a dry cleaning method with bicarb or something!
# 9
Poppy9
Old 07-03-2005, 4:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Have you tried putting masking tape over them and then lifting off the dirt. Cobblers don't recomend you use suede brushes as it removes a layer of suede.
~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~

I get knocked down, but I get up again
# 10
Quackers
Old 07-03-2005, 6:41 PM

You need the suede cleaning block that forever skint mentioned. Clarks call it a 'nubuck block'. Either that or a 'crepe brush'. Suede brushes are too harsh as they are wire and like Poppy says remove the suede. A crepe brush is made of crepe (suprisingly!) and as you rub the suede or nubuck the crepe gets hot and sticky and dirt and stuff sticks to it.

A nubuck block costs £2.95 & the crepe brush is £3.20. This is from Clarks although I imagine a supermarket or local discount store would sell their own versions a lot cheaper. I always find the nubuck block works better - its like an eraser and rubs of any marks although very stubborn marks may not come out.

Once you have cleaned them then spray them with protector spray. As well as making your boot water resistant it will also make them stain resistant so they will be easier to clean the next time. OMG - listen to me, I'm like a walking advertisment - can you tell I work in a shoe shop
Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
# 11
Queenie
Old 07-03-2005, 6:50 PM

Well done on your bargain boots - they sound very pretty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 12
mazza245
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I have bought one of those blocks and will have a go at them but I have already taken a layer off the suede by trying to brush them! It's a good idea to spray them afterwards to try and protect them as I can imagine they are going to get very grubby very quickly!
# 13
mazza245
Old 18-03-2005, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I tried the spray and the nubuck cleaner but when I put them on yesterday, I noticed they still look really grubby! I suppose I could try dying them darker, that way I would still be able to wear them. I thought someone might know of some clever old-fashioned way of cleaning them on this board, like with bicarb/vinegar or something. I have thought about just gently 'washing' them with some water with washing-up liquid in sponged on and then dabbing off with a towel? I suppose that could really ruin the suede though. Has anyone any clever ideas, please?
# 14
Galtizz
Old 18-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A rubber or, as a last resort... *white vinegar* you just knew it would come in somewhere didn't you.

See HERE
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
# 15
Sarahsaver
Old 18-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Have you thought of dyeing them? It is a doddle. Get a bottle of suede dye and away you go. If a layer has come off are you sure thay are real suede?
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.
# 16
tiff
Old 18-03-2005, 1:11 PM

If you cant get the suede clean, just go over them with shoe polish and you will then have lovely pink leather boots, not suede lol
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
# 17
Sue7
Old 01-04-2005, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Suede Jacket

I had a suede jacket for christmas, the instructions say dryclean only but when i took the jacket to the dryleaners they wanted £38 to clean it!!!!! I would not mind but the jacket only cost £40.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean suede without cleaning out my bank account.
Sue

Last edited by Sue7; 01-04-2005 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error
# 18
cardtart
Old 01-04-2005, 9:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I used to clean my suede boots with steam and a brush,it brings the nap up.Also there is a suede shoe cleaning foam that you can buy from the supermarket but this might be a bit risky though..
bye hoo
# 19
katiepops
Old 22-04-2005, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cleaning Suede?

I have a very lovely pair of baby pink shoes that are half leather and half suede. I've had them for a couple of years now and they are not looking their best now! The suede in particular is rather grubby.

Does anyone know how I can clean them and get them back to looking smart, and pink!?

Kate
# 20
Jay-Jay
Old 22-04-2005, 11:18 AM

Clarks do a little suede cleaning block for around £3. It's a block of weird crumbly stuff which you gently rub on the shoe and it magically rubs off the muck. I was very sceptical but it really does work.
Just run, run and keep on running!