IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures
Views: 789,661
# 3581
sharon41
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I got it

thanks for this notification about this
Applied to SKIPTON last thursday and got A check to day for £130 ,wich will help pay for my bill.
Couldn't beleave it thanks again for this guys

Quote:
i also applied to Lloyed TSB at the same time still waiting to hear from them
!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3582
sharon41
Old 05-04-2012, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

******forgot to add that i NEVER got my intreast back from skipton*****
# 3583
Emm_Sea33
Old 05-04-2012, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Mortgage Exit Fee Success Story!

Read this and phoned up C&G (our old lender), they said they'd had LOTS of calls that day because of MSE...

Checked the post this morning and there on the mat was their cheque for £170!

Thanks for the tip off
# 3584
Mickey2
Old 05-04-2012, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Mortgage exit fee payback

Just received a cheque today for £230 and all I did was use the template posted by this site. The price of a stamp! Great and many thanks Martin!
# 3585
Bloke from Wimblebury
Old 06-04-2012, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, just wanted to say a quick thanks to Martin. I sent off a relevantly edited version of the template letter to A & L last week regarding their £295 mortgage exit fee and received a prompt reply today containing the sentence....."in view of this I enclose a cheque for £286 which represents a refund of £195 plus interest at 8%". I have to say I am surprised and delighted at my success but have been brought back to Earth with finding the cheque was missing from the envelope. I'm sure it's just an oversight!
# 3586
fuzzymot
Old 06-04-2012, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Exit free from Santandar

I sent my letter to Santander requesting my mortgage exit fee on Monday and recieved a cheque for £174 on Thusrday. They said the fee I paid was £75 and the rest was interest. I changed from them to the Northern Rock in 2001. I didn't have the account number either, just put the date roughly and left the rest to them Great result!!!!

Going to try it with the London Mortgage Co now, I'll let you know how I get on!
# 3587
vjhicks
Old 09-04-2012, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Called Nationwide to try my luck as we moved house in 2007. They acted confused and kept asking where I'd read about claiming money back, but said they'd look into it. Had a surprise letter about 2 weeks later saying they think their £90 charged is fair HOWEVER, as it wasn't stated in my original contract, they enclose a full refund!! £90 for a phone call!!! Wey hey! Thanks!!
# 3588
Jebby
Old 10-04-2012, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Success

Thought I'd give Intelligent Finance, my first mortgage company a ring just to test the water. I had no account details, original offer etc. An operative named John did the digging and said I paid a MEAF of £140. He said he thought this seemed about right for the time I left, but he could raise a claim and I would hear from IF.com in due course, in writing. Within 10 minutes, I kid you not, John rang me back saying he had 'dug a little deeper' and my offer stated the MEAF was £50, he was arranging for the balance to be paid direct into my current account I have with them. I will leave it a few days and check to see if I'm £90 richer! Cheers Martin, I owe you a pint!
# 3589
Hamorrison
Old 11-04-2012, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I only saw the article on reclaiming mortgage exit fees a couple of weeks ago and realised I moved from Egg mortgages to Ing Direct in Nov 2006. I knew I was charged £150 exit fee because I remembered questioning this at the time as I thought the fee was only going to be £50 but I was told this was there standard exit charge.

I rang Egg (now Yorkshire bank) two weeks ago after reading the article. I was on the phone 5 mins and they raised a complaint for me straight away. I was told I would have written confirmation within 5 days of my complaint and it would be resolved within 8 weeks. Two weekson and I received a cheque for £100 which I am very happy with. Thanks MSE!!!!!
# 3590
glannant
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sent template letter to Intelligent Finance and they wrote straight back offering £140. Not bad for the price of a stamp.
# 3591
slimboy
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Success Nationwide

Thought I'd send an adjusted version of the template letter off to Nationwide last week.
Received a letter and cheque for £90.00 from them today, stating that the mortgage redemption charge was fair, however, the fee was not agreed in the mortgage offer, so the refund of £90.00

I didn't know of this opportunity until i spotted it on this site, so a huge Thank You.

Good luck to all.
# 3592
Cerdinen
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

New to all this, and cant find the answer to this anywhere on main site ... I had arrangement fees charged to me when altering terms of my mortgage with Northern Rock, does this count as part of the MEAF

Much appreciated if someone can supply the answer

Thanks
# 3593
Grayb85
Old 12-04-2012, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I rang halifax today to reclaim my exit fees on a mortgage from 2006, i told them i didnt have my account number, after giving a few details they told me that they would look into it and let me know within 8 weeks. Hour and a half later i got a phone call saying to resolve the claim today they would send me a cheque for the full £175 i paid. Which i duely accepted.
Many thanks
for the information on this website which really helped!!!
# 3594
yvonnew
Old 13-04-2012, 10:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile MEAFs Success Story!!

Thank you very much Mr Lewis, once again you have come through with the goods.
I have changed mortgage with 3 companies, and one of them has just come up with a refund cheque for £150
This was Birmingham Midshires. I didnt have the account no - i just gave them our contact details and along with your template letter and sent an email to their customer service dept, the very next morning they called us, verified information and 2 days later we have the cheque in our hand.
Once again Martin thanks v much x
# 3595
lizgoodey1304
Old 13-04-2012, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Alliance & Leicester Mortgage Exit Fee

Had success with claiming back £295 plus interest relating to exiting my Alliance & Leicester mortgage 7 years ago. I sent a letter last week and received a cheque for the full amount today - on my birthday!!! Very happy - thanks MSE for highlighting this.
# 3596
JK79
Old 13-04-2012, 11:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I followed your advice to the letter and have just received £183 back from C&G for a mortgage that I took out in early 2004! There were no quibbles and the phone call barely lasted a few minutes....so pleased MSE highlighted this, thank you!!
# 3597
BigExpertFan
Old 13-04-2012, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Alliance & Leicester Mortgage Exit Fee

I too have just received a cheque for my Mortgage Exit Fee.
I first phoned and got the run around, 5 different people plus the same person twice. Outside the electronic record keeping rules to provide information I was finally told.

I didn't give up, I used one of Martins templates requesting the difference in the fee charged to me in 2006 and the fee quoted when I took the mortgage out as per the fee table. I also asked for the interest using the calculation in the template.

I have received the whole fee, not just the difference, plus the interest, a total of £468.13 (so a little credit to Santander I suppose).
So pleased you can't imagine, thank you credit expert.
# 3598
marmitequeen
Old 13-04-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks to everyone for motivating me to do this. I phoned A&L today to be told this all has to be done by letter - no email address available for it either.

I've done the letter but I'm really struggling as I can't find the original MEAF quoted. I took the mortgage out in 2003 on a 2-year fix and then went onto another 2-year fix in 2005. I've got all the original paperwork and booklets but can't find an actual figure set out for the fee. We paid £295 when we left in 2008 and I questioned it at the time as I'd never heard of anything that high and was told that was the fee (I actually remember the conversation clearly as the woman was so 'you've no choice, that's what it costs').

So, my question is, can I just leave that bit off the letter where I should say what the original quoted fee was as I just know it must have been lower than £295?

Thanks!
# 3599
Infor1penny
Old 13-04-2012, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just had confirmation from Yorkshire Building Society that they are going to refund me £125.00, dating back to 2005, they wouldn't apply any interest but am happy with that. Waiting on news from 2 others with C&G so fingers crossed. Only took a phone call
# 3600
Harry Potless
Old 15-04-2012, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can I send a SAR regarding my mortgage?

Thanks for reading.

Sold my house (with great sadness) in June 2006 and moved into the rental sector.

Can't find all the paperwork (probably cuz I've moved house twice and had corresponding "clearouts" as each new abode seems to get smaller than the last one).

I have no idea whether or not I was charged an "Exit Fee".

Can I request/demand full details of my account dealings with the bank (NatWest as was), via a simple letter - or should I (can I) send them a SAR either with or without the £10 statutory fee?

Any advice appreciated.