Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Possibility of hidden CCTV in shared house (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Possibility of hidden CCTV in shared house
Closed Thread
Views: 2,510
# 21
stuckdebt
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

To be honest, I dont know if i should believe it or not.. maybe they said it to scare people (The manager knew i was in the hall), or maybe there actually is CCTV..

The one thing I know is, I want to get out of this place at once. The last couple of years living here have made my life a nightmare. I have been bullied by the manager quite a bit the last few months, and its getting to me.. its just finding the money to move that is the problem.

What do I do if the landlord/manager comes up to me and confronts me about what I did? Do I deny it? Ask to see how they came to that conclusion?
Total debt Aug 2012: 3800, Nov: 3225, Dec: 3151.45 2013: Jan: 1544.24 Feb: 1492.03 Sept 2013: Debt free
# 22
Owain Moneysaver
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckdebt View Post
What do I do if the landlord/manager comes up to me and confronts me about what I did? Do I deny it? Ask to see how they came to that conclusion?
Well, if they've got CCTV of you doing what they suspect you of doing, they've also got CCTV of the manager doing what you suspect him of doing?
Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
# 23
missile
Old 01-04-2012, 5:21 AM

It seems, you stole his food in retaliation and now you are concerned you have been caught on CCTV?
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
# 24
antrobus
Old 01-04-2012, 8:45 AM

Quote:

The conversation went pretty much like this:

"I am going to look through the CCTV to find out what has been going on in this house. Come over on monday, so we can catch them on tape." ....
You can always Google 'how to find hidden CCTV' or something like that. There are some helpful hints on this link - http://www.cctvforum.com/post-106788.html - on the kind of devices available. There appears to be a whole industry dedicated to this sort of thing.
# 25
Norman Castle
Old 01-04-2012, 8:52 AM

Quote:
If there are hidden cameras, then I expect I shall get into trouble over a stupid thing I did last week to get my own back on said manager,
What did you do?

Quote:
"I am going to look through the CCTV to find out what has been going on in this house. Come over on monday, so we can catch them on tape."
Who's "them"?. Have you talked to the other residents about this?. Is the manager a paranoid tit?

Last edited by Norman Castle; 01-04-2012 at 8:55 AM.
# 26
Lance
Old 01-04-2012, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If the manager knew you were listening when he mentioned the secret CCTV then it is probably to scare you and not true. As for film of you taking food from the fridge if they had it they would have confronted you by now.
# 27
MoneySaverLog
Old 01-04-2012, 9:19 AM

If it were not for the time of the OP 11.32pm 31/03/2012 I would have said this has got to be an April fool :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySaverLog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
ruggedtoast
Old 01-04-2012, 9:49 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I dont know if i should believe it or not.. maybe they said it to scare people (The manager knew i was in the hall), or maybe there actually is CCTV..

The one thing I know is, I want to get out of this place at once. The last couple of years living here have made my life a nightmare. I have been bullied by the manager quite a bit the last few months, and its getting to me.. its just finding the money to move that is the problem.

Did you do what I think you did? If you did then you could be in a lot of trouble.
It's better to be a dead hero than a living wuss. - Drazic: Heartbreak High
# 29
BigAunty
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Maybe it's a fib to wind you up...
# 30
stuckdebt
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedtoast View Post
Did you do what I think you did? If you did then you could be in a lot of trouble.
I dont know what you think I did, But I took some of his food.

I also have just heard him talking to someone in the house about it, no one knows i am up yet though..

Btw this is not april fools, not on my part anyway.. and if it, then theyre the fool as this started yesterday.
Total debt Aug 2012: 3800, Nov: 3225, Dec: 3151.45 2013: Jan: 1544.24 Feb: 1492.03 Sept 2013: Debt free
# 31
propertyman
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...ides/cctv.aspx

This site will give you advice on their obligations and how to get advice and complain.
Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
The Following User Says Thank You to propertyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
propertyman
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Perhaps " you did the stupid thing that you did" to prove that the CCTV was installed.

The call you overheard only added to an earlier suspicion....
Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
The Following User Says Thank You to propertyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
stuckdebt
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Very good link propertyman, I shall bookmark that and refer to it if it actually turns out to be true.
# 34
rentergirl
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There have been cases of sleazy landlords placing hidden cameras in female tenants bedrooms. I think one culprit was jailed. Mindful as I am of the date today, nothing would surprise me. If you think this is true, go to the police, with good evidence.
# 35
mchale
Old 01-04-2012, 6:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentergirl View Post
There have been cases of sleazy landlords placing hidden cameras in female tenants bedrooms.

I take exception to that, I am not Sleazy and my cameras are only in the bathrooms
ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
# 36
paddyrg
Old 01-04-2012, 7:29 PM

Technology marches on - now you can fit a decentish camera into a phone, so think how small those units are! Very hard to find if hidden. They do, however, need to be attached to power and a monitor of some sort (or VHS, etc). This means they must be wireless (in which case somebody changes the hefty battery 3 times a week), or have a transformer and/or signal wire running to them, so electronic devices should be your first suspects, or holes in locked cupboards above power sockets ;-)

However you can get devices from places like dx.com (cheap, but takes //forever// to deliver) which help detect hiddent cameras by flashing/pulsing red lights, you look through a hole, and it bounces off the exposed lenses. Probably takes a bit of practice, but it's up to you if you're after peace of mind.
# 37
MoneySaverLog
Old 01-04-2012, 9:44 PM

Very cloak and dagger stuff here. If there is CCTV installed without your knowledge then you should get proof and go to the police, if there are no trailing wires it does mean that it's being transmitted in some way - Try tuning in using your TV!

Also I certainly would not want anyone to have keys to my property to walk in at anytime they like, get the locks changed.
# 38
ruggedtoast
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I dont know what you think I did, But I took some of his food.

I also have just heard him talking to someone in the house about it, no one knows i am up yet though..

Btw this is not april fools, not on my part anyway.. and if it, then theyre the fool as this started yesterday.

Are you sure we aren't talking about this scenario? Are you sure???

It's better to be a dead hero than a living wuss. - Drazic: Heartbreak High
Closed Thread