Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Financial Ombudsman - Huge delays not related to ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Financial Ombudsman - Huge delays not related to PPI
Views: 3,363
# 1
Cafelatte1
Old 29-03-2012, 12:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Financial Ombudsman - Huge delays not related to PPI

I was wondering whether anyone had any light to shed on the Financial Ombudsman and why it is taking them so long to correspond on complaints. I sent them all my documentation re a complaint about my medical insurance provider in December and as yet, they keep telling me that no adjudicator has been allocated to my case.

They said that I must expect to wait even longer as this is a "free" service and I must just be patient.

I do find this length of time unacceptable. This is my last port of call against the shoddy tratement that was meeted out to me by my medical insurance company and it does not put any faith in me to believe that the Ombudsman will do anything.

Is there any way that I can get things hurried up?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Moneyineptitude
Old 29-03-2012, 1:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafelatte1 View Post
Is there any way that I can get things hurried up?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated?
Your thread title is misleading, to be honest, since it quite clearly is because of the PPI scandal that the FOS is experiencing such a huge backlog. The PPI complaints are not treated separately to others and so your case is just one of hundreds of thousands of others. It's not helping that Claims Management Companies are sending large numbers of PPI complaints to FOS with little or no chance of success.

You'll just have to be patient. Good luck for an (eventual) result in your favour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyineptitude For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tifo
Old 29-03-2012, 9:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The delay is unacceptable. Unfortunately the only other choices are to drop the claim or take it to court, with which many people are not confident.

Your current delay of 3 months is nothing. I have had PPI complaints dealt with in 2.5 years and a home insurance claim is currently nearing 4 years, even though the firm has been told twice to pay up but wants an Ombudsman review, which is taking a very long time. The case has been in 'fast track' for an Ombudsman for 14 months .... which is not 'fast' to me.
# 4
dunstonh
Old 29-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
The delay is unacceptable. Unfortunately the only other choices are to drop the claim or take it to court, with which many people are not confident.
If they introduced a charge to claims companies for submitting complaints that are rejected then you would probably see the problem go away virtually overnight. The free-of-charge complaints process was never set up and structured to deal with commercial companies generating complaints for profit.

The genuine complainants are suffering because of the actions of the non-genuine ones.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
magpiecottage
Old 29-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
The genuine complainants are suffering because of the actions of the non-genuine ones.
As are the genuine intermediaries. Ambulance chasers are parasites
I run a consultancy to help Independent Financial Advisers to comply with their rules and resolve complaints. Although I am qualified to, I don't advise consumers for reward.
The Following User Says Thank You to magpiecottage For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
magpiecottage
Old 30-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sides2everystory View Post
As are genuine intermediaries who actually have no relationship with their customers beyond that when they identified a target and inserted their sales proboscises.
I would say such an intermediary is not genuine.

By contrast mortgage adviser, for example, who searched the market, obtained the best deal they can get for their client and did not sell PPI at all does not deserve to get a complaint that they missold a non-existent policy and be charged 500 (soon to go up to 850) by FOS to be told they have no case to answer.
I run a consultancy to help Independent Financial Advisers to comply with their rules and resolve complaints. Although I am qualified to, I don't advise consumers for reward.
# 7
magpiecottage
Old 30-03-2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
An awful lot who claim to be "genuine" fall into the other category though, by virtue of their 'another day another dollar/wham bang thank you M'am' mentality, do they not?
Possibly - but the fact that you claim to be genuine does not mean that you are, does it? After all, every ambulance chaser claims to be genuine then persuades you that it is easier to use them. One, Key Financial Claims, actually gets you to type up the FOS form on their website and send it to them so they can put it into the post for you.
Quote:
Again I'd question if they really were a decent mortgage adviser who had built a meaningful relationship, and whether if that was so, the complainant might have been first expected to pick up the phone to his trusted advisor.
I agree - but you seem to assume that advisers are not trustworthy and consumers are. No doubt that situation does arise but it also happens the other way round.

DunstonH tells of a complaint received by a mortgage adviser about a PPI policy that never existed and earlier this month I dealt with a similar complaint by a policeman.

Quote:
Mortgages are not one offs they are decades long and need constant review. If mortgage advisers are attracting and accepting business routinely from punters they never really get to know or don't trust, then I'd say if you can't stand the heat ...
There are two flaws in that argument. The first is that most borrowers will choose a fixed or discounted rate at outset and, until that deal ends, they are locked into it and will suffer a penalty if they get out.

The second is that data protection regulations restrict how an adviser can offer to advise them further. For example, the adviser cannot simply ring up and ask if they would like a review. You and I may or may not think that restriction is sensible but our opinion on the matter does not change the regulations.

Last edited by magpiecottage; 30-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
# 8
Moneyineptitude
Old 30-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you've constructed there, magpiecottage, but the bit in bold is not mine
Hmmm, seems to indicate only a inability to use the "Quote" function properly.
# 9
magpiecottage
Old 30-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you've constructed there, magpiecottage, but the bit in bold is not mine
Mistake in what I was trying to construct - now corrected

Quote:
I don't have a fixed rate or discounted mortgage and neither does my brother or indeed anyone else I know
I said "most borrowers". This is based on the files I have checked over the years - and I seldom see a borrower choose the SVR if a deal on a lower (or a fixed) rate is available.

Quote:
except some friends from Europe who do, and who meet their mortgage advisers a whole lot more frequently than might ever occur in the UK.
We are not talking about Europe.

It is also the case that to see an adviser regularly you will take up his time and that needs to be paid for - apart from anything else, he needs funding do deal with fraudulent complaints against him.
# 10
Moneyineptitude
Old 30-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiecottage View Post
Mistake in what I was trying to construct - now corrected
Still wrongly attributed, I'm afraid. See post #9
# 11
tifo
Old 31-03-2012, 9:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

the OP hasn't returned to the thread since they asked for advice and yet we have other posters debating PPI claims ....

does the OP want any advice or not?
The Following User Says Thank You to tifo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
marshallka
Old 31-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Op.

Did you mean that your complaint is not PPI related and some other type of complaint but you are still experiencing delays? You state "not PPI related" in your title but perhaps all insurance complaints go to the same department as PPI complaints? Just trying to help as you seem to have been put off coming back to your thread.
# 13
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-03-2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallka View Post
Just trying to help as you seem to have been put off coming back to your thread.
I answered the OP in post#2. There is no way to hurry up the complaint process.

The discussion afterwards had no bearing on the Op's query, but that had already been dealt with (and was acknowledged with a "thanks" on post #2)

The FOS had already given the OP their answer prior to posting, so it's not surprising that he didn't return to the thread!
So the off-topic discussion is not putting the OP off at all.

Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 31-03-2012 at 5:52 PM. Reason: info
# 14
Netty11
Old 31-03-2012, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello. I have something to vent, as I am a little perturbed by my PPI claim.
I went ahead and used a third party to assist me in claiming back my PPI.
I have since received letters from this third party saying that they have won the case and that I should have received a letter from my lender First Plus. So, I called First Plus Barclays, and I was advised that they had sent a letter out to me dated 14th January. I asked the adviser to tell me what the letter had said and if she could resend it. Apparently, the letter said that i have been awarded and they would like to know how I would like to receive payment. I simply told her that I did not receive any letter from you in January, however, I did receive a letter from First Plus in early March saying that they are going to contact my Official Receiver regarding this payout. They did not send me any letter in January. I spoke with these people on Thursday of this week, and I have checked my mail box this morning with no letter of award.
I went Bankrupt in May 2009, and now these people are threatening to go to the Official Receiver with the amount they have apparently awarded. The Third party are awaiting their payment from me, and if it all go's pear shaped, after all that, I would have accrued another debt to this Third party. I am not in Bankruptcy anymore and haven't been for almost two years. Everything appears to be a battle and I'm fed up with it all.

Last edited by Netty11; 31-03-2012 at 3:08 PM. Reason: to insert an ending
# 15
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-03-2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty11 View Post
I went Bankrupt in May 2009, and now these people are threatening to go to the Official Receiver with the amount they have apparently awarded. The Third party are awaiting their payment from me, and if it all go's pear shaped, after all that, I would have accrued another debt to this Third party. I am not in Bankruptcy anymore and haven't been for almost two years. Everything appears to be a battle and I'm fed up with it all.
Unfortunately, the Official Receiver is likely to get any redress awarded for any loan or credit card debt run up before you went bankrupt. It now also seems likely that the Third Party you have authorised to act on your behalf will be presenting you with a bill for 30% of redress money you were never going to get in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyineptitude For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Netty11
Old 31-03-2012, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Ppi

Hello Moneyineptitude.
It is awful that First Plus had supposedly sent me a letter of award in January of this year, to of then not received it at all, but to of only received a letter from them in March telling me that they will go to the official receiver. They new what they were doing, because they refrained from sending me that letter in the first place.

So, now its likely that I will need to find money to pay the third party!
I can now see why certain individuals commit suicide. I am not that way inclined, although I feel weary and exhausted from the whole thing.
Thank you for your reply
# 17
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-03-2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I can now see why certain individuals commit suicide. I am not that way inclined, although I feel weary and exhausted from the whole thing.
You can go to this forum for help and advice from others who are or have been in a similar position to you

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=136

You have my sincerest sympathies, but I'm frankly amazed that, not only did you think you could seek redress from one of your creditors, but you thought it wise to use a Claims Management Company.

All the very best for the future...
# 18
dunstonh
Old 31-03-2012, 5:52 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
I went Bankrupt in May 2009, and now these people are threatening to go to the Official Receiver with the amount they have apparently awarded.
Which is correct. Any redress from the PPI paid prior to bankruptcy can go to the OR. Your claims company should have told you this.
Quote:
The Third party are awaiting their payment from me, and if it all go's pear shaped, after all that, I would have accrued another debt to this Third party.
That is also correct. Which is why the advice is that you should never use a claims company if you have a bankruptcy, amounts written off, defaults or arrears.

Quote:
I am not in Bankruptcy anymore and haven't been for almost two years.
The idea is that it draws a line for you. However, that goes for any credits built up prior to that line as well. Your creditors have the right to that money. Not you.
Quote:
You should put in a complaint against the claims company as they should not have taken your case on and told you about this. Had they been honest and up front you would not be in this issue.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 19
magpiecottage
Old 31-03-2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Yes - unless you can get a complaint against them, on the grounds that they should have warned you of this possibility, upheld.

You would need to complain to the firm itself first and if you did not get a satisfactory outcome to consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk

However, you are very much on your own and successfully complaining against an ambulance chaser is much more difficult than complaining against a bank.
# 20
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-03-2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post

You should put in a complaint against the claims company as they should not have taken your case on and told you about this. Had they been honest and up front you would not be in this issue.
It's just yet another example of the unscrupulous behaviour constantly exhibited by these Claims Management Companies. Even the Op of this thread (who has long since abandoned it) is feeling the results of this behaviour through the extra delays the CMCs are causing at FOS.