MSE News: Fury as Lloyds insurance cull puts pets' lives 'at risk'

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Pet owners have been left with grave concerns for their animals after Lloyds stopped renewing pet insurance cover ..."

Comments

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    very sad, why is it that we don't have an nhs for animals
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately I think the pet insurance industry could become somewhat limited in who is actually willing to provide cover in the future. My own cat is now nine years old and so far, has maintained excellent health. I had pet insurance for the first five years of our ownership with both Lloyds TSB and Tesco, but as usual, like car insurance, the premiums just got higher and higher each year, so from our first year of cover costing just about 50 quid, it gradually crept up to 70 or 80 pounds and we'd never made a claim. If I were to try and get a policy for our cat now, it would quite likely cost a great deal more than our previous policies.

Clearly there are owners out there who have pets that do have a poor medical history and quite rightly, insurers will make customers pay for multiple claims. Obviously pets, like humans, need to be treated with care and respect in ill health, but it should also be recognised that insurers are there primarily to make a profit, as unpalatable as that sounds. I do feel some sympathy with those people who bought so called 'life cover' for their pets. To have the rug pulled from under them does seem cruel, but if someone is for example paying say 2 or 3 hundred pounds a year for a pet insurance policy and then subsequently claims 2 or 3 thousand pounds a year for a long standing pre-existing medical condition, the insurer is going to feel pretty sore about it, especially if multiple customers are making claims. It is therefore hardly surprising that some insurers are pulling out.

I sincerley hope that those affected get some sort of payment if they believe they have been unfairly treated, but sadly, I think this is the taste of things to come.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    meher wrote: »

Because that would just be stupid (coming from an animal lover who would personally sell anything I owned to pay for my dogs medical costs if need be). If the country was rolling in money we could consider it, but until then it's a ridiculous scheme that no country could afford (or would even consider).
  • callum9999
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think the pet insurance industry could become somewhat limited in who is actually willing to provide cover in the future. My own cat is now nine years old and so far, has maintained excellent health. I had pet insurance for the first five years of our ownership with both Lloyds TSB and Tesco, but as usual, like car insurance, the premiums just got higher and higher each year, so from our first year of cover costing just about 50 quid, it gradually crept up to 70 or 80 pounds and we'd never made a claim. If I were to try and get a policy for our cat now, it would quite likely cost a great deal more than our previous policies.

Clearly there are owners out there who have pets that do have a poor medical history and quite rightly, insurers will make customers pay for multiple claims. Obviously pets, like humans, need to be treated with care and respect in ill health, but it should also be recognised that insurers are there primarily to make a profit, as unpalatable as that sounds. I do feel some sympathy with those people who bought so called 'life cover' for their pets. To have the rug pulled from under them does seem cruel, but if someone is for example paying say 2 or 3 hundred pounds a year for a pet insurance policy and then subsequently claims 2 or 3 thousand pounds a year for a long standing pre-existing medical condition, the insurer is going to feel pretty sore about it, especially if multiple customers are making claims. It is therefore hardly surprising that some insurers are pulling out.

I sincerley hope that those affected get some sort of payment if they believe they have been unfairly treated, but sadly, I think this is the taste of things to come.

That's common sense though surely? As the animal gets older, the risk of it developing a serious illness hugely increases. When you consider it's common place for vet bills to go well over a grand, those fees aren't really majorly excessive if you think about it.
  • meher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Because that would just be stupid (coming from an animal lover who would personally sell anything I owned to pay for my dogs medical costs if need be). If the country was rolling in money we could consider it, but until then it's a ridiculous scheme that no country could afford (or would even consider).
    It isn't stupid to offer health care for another living being specially that we decided to take them from nature and use them for our amusement. May be we haven't quite got round qustion this prejudice against animals dispassionately just as we challenge other prejudices.

Also it is not true that there are no animal welfare centres. You'd almost always find one attached to zoos and there are several of them anyway. Why not centralise care for animals?
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Must you pen headlines that would fit in in the basest tabloid?

Fury as Lloyds insurance cull puts pets' lives 'at risk'

Seriously?

Tabloid trash.

It reads very close to 'Lloyds culls pets', which is quite wrong and offensive, and 'Fury' is a classic tabloid word too.

Here's the headline from Moneywise

'Thousands of owners stranded as Lloyds closes pet insurance division'

Now isn't that both more accurate and less inflammatory?

(fury at MSE headline)
  • callum9999
    Options
    It isn't stupid to offer health care for another living being specially that we decided to take them from nature and use them for our amusement. May be we haven't quite got round qustion this prejudice against animals dispassionately just as we challenge other prejudices.

Also it is not true that there are no animal welfare centres. You'd almost always find one attached to zoos and there are several of them anyway. Why not centralise care for animals?

It is definitely stupid to make a pet NHS - hence why no country on the planet has even considered doing so. Obviously animal healthcare isn't stupid - as I said I'd pay literally anything I could get my hands on to heal my dog if needs be. The government funding a pet NHS is the stupid thing. It has nothing to do with a "prejudice against animals" - maybe you'd also want to afford them the same rights as humans? Like the abolition of slavery (all farm animals), protection from kidnap (all pets) etc.
    thelawnet wrote: »
    Must you pen headlines that would fit in in the basest tabloid?

Fury as Lloyds insurance cull puts pets' lives 'at risk'

Seriously?

Tabloid trash.

It reads very close to 'Lloyds culls pets', which is quite wrong and offensive, and 'Fury' is a classic tabloid word too.

Here's the headline from Moneywise

'Thousands of owners stranded as Lloyds closes pet insurance division'

Now isn't that both more accurate and less inflammatory?

(fury at MSE headline)

I do see what you mean, but I think they have a point. If you currently have an ill dog being treated on insurance, when you reach the policy anniversary, many people have the choice of a) putting down the pet or b) getting into debt (and even that isn't an option for many). I personally think this action is absolutely disgusting - and a company on the scale of Lloyds can easily afford to keep it going as it slowly winds down while barring new policies.
  • meher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are places in this planet where free vetenary camps are run on a regular basis. And this happens in poorer nations; if they could afford they would have vetenary NHS alongside one for their peoples. A start would be accept that even in this century many among us believe that animals are less sentient. I'm sorry I don't share that. Thankyou Callum for your thoughts though - I appreciate that you are passionate about animals albeit we view things differently.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options

Pet owners are used to getting better standards of service for the medical treatment for their animals than is generally delivered by the NHS.

And that is part of the problem - for most people nothing but the very best (read most expensive) will do for their beloved pet. So I can see why Lloyds wants to be out of this business. But if ever there was a case of mis-selling then this is surely it. "When we said 'lifetime' we didn't mean it". The bank will have an awful lot of disgruntled (former) customers. This won't be readily forgiven/forgotton, and will damage their reputation for a lot longer than the lifetime of any pet currently covered by their insurance.
  • andrea_louise
    Options
    It is disgraceful that both Lloyds and Halifax have pulled out of the pet insurance market leaving many customers and their treasured pets high and dry! Especially when they were mis-sold as "lifetime" policies! Yes, my pet dogs are important to me, and yes, every penny I have, and some that I dont have I would pay, to keep my dogs fit, well and more importantly free from pain. I started off paying £60 per month for my 2 shelties 6 years ago (when I rescued them), it's now up to £90 a month (the eldest is 12 in october and the youngest 7 in july). In that time, I have had 1 claim, where the youngest dog was attacked, on a Sunday (Emergency vet was required, I wasn't waiting until the monday when my vets was open because he was in pain - I was well aware that I would probably have to stand the £135 consultation fee and the excess, but that was my choice) so not everyone claims far more than they pay in, it's peace of mind, that if you need it, it's there.

I wonder how long it will take for the Halifax/Lloyds ilk to pull out of life insurance, as that is a policy that's guaranteed to pay out!
    ]Mortgage 1. At start £46,000, may 1996 jan 11 £27363.58 :mad: Dec 11 £25,289.00 December 12 £21,882.68
    june 2013, £[STRIKE]18,948 18,182[/STRIKE][/ September 13. Funds available to clear the darn thing! Yay! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure