Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Turning Plain Flour into Self Raising (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Turning Plain Flour into Self Raising
Views: 145,174
# 1
apple_mint
Old 07-05-2005, 7:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Turning Plain Flour into Self Raising

I think its possible to use plain flour in a recipe where it calls for self raising, by adding (I think) baking powder. Can anyone tell me:

1. if you can actually do this and
2. how much baking powder to how much flour

I know my local shop is only 5 minutes away but I KNOW I will buy more than just self raising flour if I go round there
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apple_mint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
squeaky
Old 07-05-2005, 7:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Click Here for a post and an answer.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
apple_mint
Old 07-05-2005, 7:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks squeaky ... several different answers there so I'll have to experiment. Now how many tea loaves will I have to make to get it right ... I think we'll be having a taste test session here today
The Following User Says Thank You to apple_mint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
squeaky
Old 07-05-2005, 7:35 AM

You're welcome
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

# 5
tom and barbara good
Old 07-05-2005, 7:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The measurements are on the back of the Supercook tub - to 8oz (225 g) of flour add 3 teasps for sponges, steamed and suet puds and 1 teasp for fruit cake, batters, biscuits and pastry. That will be level teaspoons and sift it well!
If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tom and barbara good For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
apple_mint
Old 07-05-2005, 7:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Brilliant, thank you. Now off to soak fruit in tea all day so that I can bake a tea loaf this evening.

I'll write these instructions on a label to stick on my container of baking powder (we moved all our baking materials into square stackable containers to create more space in our cupboards, but I forgot to transfer the instructions for this one ). The new system works well for most things though.
# 7
squeaky
Old 07-05-2005, 7:46 AM

There's an answer Here that I did before. I knew this question had been asked before - just needed extra coffee to switch my brain on. This post tells you the different amounts needed for different types of loaf / scones etc

The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
demented
Old 09-08-2006, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile How to make self raising flour.

I have been having a Senior moment and forgot to buy some SR flour this month. I don't want to go over my monthy budget of 80 for shopping and nip out to buy some. I have got plain flour and bicarb in the cupboard but have completly forgotten how to make SR flour. The other half has gone out so can't ask him. I want to make a cake today for us to have this evening, which needs SR flour, do any of you guy's or gals know the ingredients and proportions?
Also the dog's just had an op on her foot and needs cheering up, I made a
Liver cake for her last week and she absolutely loved it. The Vet said that i should make another one for her for a treat, That recipe also requires SR flour.
Thanks Demented.
20p savers club
before joining had nothing
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
Amazon sellers club member 31
# 9
Pink.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Hi demented,

This link should tell you all you need to know. I hope the dog is feeling better.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
demented
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up

Wow that was quick. Thanks Pink-winged I shall now go and make some. The dog is still groggy but has managed to go out for a bit of fresh air. The Liver cake will cheer her up and the Fruit cake will cheer the OH up after hearing what the vet bill was. LOL.

20p savers club
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
The Following User Says Thank You to demented For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Swan
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

hi demented

if you've only got bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) you'll need some cream of tartar* as well to make self-raising flour
more info HERE

Substitution for 1 teaspoon commercial baking powder: 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon of cornflour

*or you can use buttermilk, yogurt or soured cream/milk as your liquid
The Following User Says Thank You to Swan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
kiwichick
Old 09-08-2006, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

I just add 1tsp baking powder to 1cup plain flour
WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiwichick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
demented
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

Just wanted to say thank you.
Hi all of you that replied to my senior moment. The poorly dog has cheered up after having some Liver cake, well a couple of bits, and the OH has been eating a piece of Fruit cake and not whinged too much about the Vet Bill, he actually said "munching on his bit of cake "" well it could have been worse.. i don't know whether he meant my cooking or the money side of things, anyway thanks to you lot all 3 of us are happyish.
3 cheers for Money Saving Old Style.
20p savers club
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
The Following User Says Thank You to demented For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
mossstar
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick
I just add 1tsp baking powder to 1cup plain flour
That's what I do now - you don't get 'self raising' flour here in NZ do you?! I can't believe how easy it is - seems silly now to have been buying seperate flour all those years in the UK! I LOVE the big sacks of flour you get here too!

x
The Following User Says Thank You to mossstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
AussieLass
Old 10-08-2006, 1:42 AM

We get SR flour over here. How strange. Hope you are enjoying life over in NZ Mosstar.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

# 16
mossstar
Old 10-08-2006, 2:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Maybe you CAN find it here then? I haven't exactly scoured NZ for it, not since finding out about the 'one cup flour, 1 t/s baking powder' thing

We're learning to love NZ, but we're still just as skint as we always where (food etc. is more expensive here than in the UK).

x
# 17
AussieLass
Old 10-08-2006, 2:35 AM

I'm sure you would have seen it if it was. It's usually right next to the plain flour. I usually buy both as it's the same price so less mucking around. In summer you might be wise to buy in the smaller bags like 2kg and put your flour in the freezer away from the weevils & moths. :rolleyes:

The cost of living is a lot higher than Oz and wages are a bit lower but I think the majority everywhere does it tough. The houses here are probably more exp. So it all evens out. I think NZ also is a bit cooler in summer. Lucky you. DH has just woken up (he's doing nite shift this week) so I better get lunch. Bye for now.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

# 18
gerturdeanna
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to gerturdeanna
Default Palin flour to Self Raising?

Hi folks, Am trying to bake some fairy cakes with the kiddies but I only have Plain Flour. Can I add baking powder to make it into self-raising? And if so, how much?
Thanks
Made it - 13 years married!! Finally!! xx
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #59
Beating the lbs and 's in 2014!

# 19
kethry
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

yes you can:

"To make self-raising flour, add 1tsp of baking power to 200g / 8oz plain flour."

found here.

have fun!

keth
xx
# 20
thriftmonster
Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, the rate is 3 tsp per 8oz flour for sponge cakes - there is a handy table on the back of my baking powder tub - Supercook