Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Frustrated of Bangor
    If your call spend is high, then don't go to Sky!!
    • 16th Jan 12, 6:34 PM
    If your call spend is high, then don't go to Sky!! 16th Jan 12 at 6:34 PM
    For anyone considering moving to Sky Talk and who has a large monthly spend – DONT!!

November - I spend approx 200+ each month on call charges and in November I received an e mail from Sky asking me to ring and confirm if my calls were genuine or if these were fraudulent calls as my call spend had gone over 140.. I duly called and confirmed that these calls were genuine and impressed upon the customer service agent that my phone line was very important to me. She said not to worry as they were just checking and assured me that nothing outrageous as cutting off my service would happen as my credit limit was 300. (We actually had a bit of a laugh about it...ha ha, as if....) 1 day later I was cut off....a whole debacle ensued and it took me 3 days to get my service put back on again despite paying there and then for all unbilled calls made that month already, as I was told if I did this my service would be put back on immediately. It wasn’t.
    I complained and the complaints team called me and said I had been given incorrect information and actually the credit limit was 150. If my calls reached this level they would contact me again by e mail and I would be asked if I wanted to make payment for any unbilled calls to avoid restriction and this should have been offered to me at the last phone call. Ok I thought...fair enough

December – I received an e mail from Sky telling me my call charges were at 80 and to call again to confirm if these were fraudulent. I duly called and expressed surprise to the customer service agent that I had received this e mail when my calls were at 80 as I had been told this would happen when calls were at 150. I asked if my credit limit had been reduced and if so, why, as I pay in full by direct debit each month. He refused to discuss a credit limit with me saying it was not company policy. So I didn’t know where I stood.......
    Another letter to the complaints department followed........they called me to confirm their high call spend policy. When my call charges reached 80 I would get an e mail warning me my calls were at this stage. I would then get another e mail when my call spend had reached 100 and then when they reached 150 I would be given the option of calling them and making payment for unbilled calls to avoid service restriction.
    I thanked them for clarifying this and for the line rental refund they offered for any inconvenience caused.

January – I received an e mail at 80. I made the obligatory call saying these were not fraudulent calls. I waited for the next 2 warning e mails but nothing came so I thought I would check my account myself as I knew my usage had been high. I noticed my call spend was at 152 so I made a payment for 60 to take me below my ‘credit limit’.
    Guess what???? NO service later that day!!!! I called them from my mobile (as they do not even allow you the courtesy of calling their number from a restricted line) to be told that everything the complaints agent had told me was incorrect. There would be a warning at 80 but after that there would be no further contact. The agent said there is no such thing as a credit limit....there is a system generated program that looks at call charges and if this program thinks you have overspent in any period of time it will cut your service off without warning you. If the system ‘feels’ you have spent too much even within a 1 hour period it will cut you off. This means that you never know where you are with Sky. I pointed to my last 12 months bills and the fact they are high but always paid on time and in full so why can a stop not be put on this happening to me? They say there is no human intervention that can over ride this and whilst there are plans to try to get around this they are not yet in place.
    I told him I had made the payment to take me below my ‘credit limit’ but he reiterated that there is no such thing as a credit limit. If the system thinks you have overspent in any time period be it 1 hour, 12 hours, 24 hours or 72 hours, it will cut you off without notice.

I am totally baffled by this policy and cannot see how Sky can possibly expect to retain high spending customers from whom they will make the majority of their profit if they continue to cut them off without notice and at the whim of a system generated decision.

I am told that they went through a trial that was successful as people were concerned at high bills and fraudulent use of their phones......all well and good, for those people, but what about the genuine high spend customers?

I remain without service, awaiting a response to my latest complaint letter, or a call from a manager which I was promised 9 hours ago. Think that might be as likely as seeing a flying pig.

If your call spend is high, then don’t go to Sky!!
    Last edited by Frustrated of Bangor; 16-01-2012 at 6:46 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,286Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter