Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mabinogion
    natwest fraud calls but daughter in Asia solo without phone
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:15 PM
    natwest fraud calls but daughter in Asia solo without phone 16th Jan 12 at 1:15 PM
    Hi, My daughter is travelling solo in Asia and natwest have put a block on her card and keeps ringing our house with automated fraud prevention calls.

Have been in contact with daughter by email and she is in possession of the card, had used it once to withdraw money and it has not been stolen. I phoned natwest and they will only take the block off is she responds to their automated calls, or phones them from asia. She has no phone. I'm a bit frantic that she has no access to further cash, especially should an emergency arise.

Natwest will not accept an email confirmation from her that she has been using the card abroad. What to do?

cheers
Page 1
    • Iain79
    • By Iain79 16th Jan 12, 1:23 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Iain79
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:23 PM
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:23 PM
    same problm i had last year when i went on a cruise... my card was block due to failing to tell them i was going abroad... so had to go an evening till morning without able to buy on ship and till i rang them... which i did from middle of alantic using the cruise fone.. they lift the block off after i confirm my password and got a telling off....

she need to ring them if she cant she screwed... did she tell em she was going aborad...
  • mabinogion
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:32 PM
    Hi and thanks, Natwest told us they didn't need to be told that she was travelling abroad. As a parent I have a duty of care to keep my daughter safe, but Natwest is scuppering my efforts. It can't be right. Surely they can find a flexible workaround?
    • stclair
    • By stclair 16th Jan 12, 1:32 PM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    stclair
    She will have no choice but to call them I'm sorry to say. Plus I would recommend she travels with a phone whilst travelling aboard in future. As I wouldn't call letting your daughter travel aboard without a phone responsible.
    Last edited by stclair; 16-01-2012 at 1:39 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • mabinogion
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:39 PM
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:39 PM
    Thanks st clair. Her phone is not set up to use abroad. Besides which, as a student she can't afford phone charges involved to have the likes of natwest phoning her on the other side of the world. Most people these days are happy to make use of the internet as a means of communication. She does internet banking which is supposed to be secure, so why can't she let them know that way? Its not rocket science!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Jan 12, 1:45 PM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:45 PM

Natwest will not accept an email confirmation from her that she has been using the card abroad. What to do?

cheers
    Originally posted by mabinogion
    She need to find a phone and call them. If Natwest were to accept just an email how can they verify the sender's identity.

As a parent you have no involvement in the account. All you can do is send her money via Western Union to enable her to make the call.
    Last edited by pmduk; 16-01-2012 at 8:29 PM. Reason: typo
  • mabinogion
    I wouldn't call letting your daughter travel aboard without a phone responsible.
    Originally posted by stclair
    I appreciate your parenting advice stclair, but since I skype, Instant message, facebook and email my daughter on a daily basis, and know pretty much exactly where she is at any given time, I shall take it with a pinch of salt.
  • mabinogion
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:47 PM
    . If Natwest were to accept just an email how can they very the senders identity
    Originally posted by pmduk
    They could easily follow up with security questions or getting her to log on to her internet banking account as confirmation. As i said, not rocket science.
  • jalexa
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:55 PM
    • 16th Jan 12, 1:55 PM
    Her phone is not set up to use abroad.
    There is more than one issue here, of which that is one, except you have cited that as an "excuse" when in fact it is the causal problem. Clearly a short term solution is required, the technical measure to solve the immediate problem is clear if not the cost. As a "trap" though they may well agree, ask for a Natwest number which will accept transfer charges.

You have made Natwest aware that their conduct puts at risk a lone female travelling abroad. When the dust has settled suggest your daughter raises a formal complaint with Natwest with a view to finding out if the Financial Ombudsman Service has a precedent for the *exact* circumstances. A central circumstance is that the held (and normal) telephone number is valid and (apparently) there was no need to advise travel (or to register a mobile number).

I agree that email would not be sensible but I am open to other solutions though I would be wary about internet cafe access to online banking.
    Last edited by jalexa; 16-01-2012 at 1:59 PM.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 16th Jan 12, 1:57 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    dggar
    They could easily follow up with security questions or getting her to log on to her internet banking account as confirmation. As i said, not rocket science.
    Send answers to security questions via email????????
  • mabinogion
    Send answers to security questions via email????????
    Originally posted by dggar

Hi there and thanks. There are questions that can be asked as security that would not in any way compromise her account. But perhaps more realistic would be a communication via her secure internet banking account wiht natwest.
    • noh
    • By noh 16th Jan 12, 2:01 PM
    • 5,014 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    noh
    Nor is using the phone from abroad.
    If she uses skype why does she not call them using that? PAYG credit can be added easily.
  • mabinogion
    Nor is using the phone from abroad.
    If she uses skype why does she not call them using that? PAYG credit can be added easily.
    Originally posted by noh

That sounds like a good idea, but her payment card is blocked.
    • noh
    • By noh 16th Jan 12, 2:16 PM
    • 5,014 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    noh

You can buy credit for her if you know her skype login details
    here:-
    https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?application=credit&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs ecure.skype.com%2Faccount%2Flogin
    • lazer
    • By lazer 16th Jan 12, 2:17 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    lazer
    Can you not give her your card details to use?

Alternatively, e-mail the the mobile phone operator and get the international bar lifted to allow her to phone the bank?
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
    • noh
    • By noh 16th Jan 12, 2:26 PM
    • 5,014 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    noh
    Or set up a new skype account credit it with £10.
    Then email your daughter the login details so she can use it to call Natwest.
  • RetiredInThailand
    Phone/internet shops abound everywhere in Asia where there are tourists. Tell her to go to one and call NatWest. The cost will be very low.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 16th Jan 12, 2:37 PM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    stclair
    The bank have every right to block the card should they suspect the card is being misused. The bottom line is she won't be a able to do anything until she contacts the bank. The fraud team accept reversed charges on calls made from abroad by calling 0044 131 339 7609.

I dread to think what will happen should this said card get lost imagine it no mobile phone and no bank card.... Plus im sure when she realises her bank card has been stopped she will contact someone.
    Last edited by stclair; 16-01-2012 at 3:10 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • stclair
    • By stclair 16th Jan 12, 3:22 PM
    • 6,226 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    stclair
    I appreciate your parenting advice stclair, but since I skype, Instant message, facebook and email my daughter on a daily basis, and know pretty much exactly where she is at any given time, I shall take it with a pinch of salt.
    If your in contact on a daily basis you will be able to tell her natwest have been calling then wont you.
    Last edited by stclair; 16-01-2012 at 3:30 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • kizkiz
    • By kizkiz 16th Jan 12, 3:37 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 10,274 Thanks
    kizkiz
    When i went travelling for a long period i added my mum to my account so that she could deal with any problems from her end if any arose. Simply removed her when i got back
    Can't remember exactly what i had to do , but it was only a form to fill out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

857Posts Today

6,391Users online

Martin's Twitter