Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Scanned receipts v Actual receipts (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Scanned receipts v Actual receipts
Closed Thread
Views: 3,394
# 21
powerful_Rogue
Old 28-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texranger View Post
this is true but they thay can just print off another copy of the scanned receipt and present with a stolen item.
in our store we will only take the original recipt and never accept a scanned copy.
Even if the item is faulty?

Do you accept bank statements or other forms of "proof of purchase?" Cant legally see how you can refuse to accept a scanned copy of the receipt if the persons item is faulty and they want an exchange.
The Following User Says Thank You to powerful_Rogue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
aldredd
Old 28-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
in our store we will only take the original recipt and never accept a scanned copy.
Right, but it's well established that you do NOT need an original receipt to make a claim under SOGA - so you're wrong, again.

I *really* hope I never find myself in your store.
# 23
CynicalScotsman
Old 28-12-2011, 12:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Right, but it's well established that you do NOT need an original receipt to make a claim under SOGA - so you're wrong, again.
True, but you need to prove you purchased it in said store. A store allows for that proof by having security features on their receipts. A scanned receipt can be manipulated in any way, therefore it may not be proof. There would only really be one way to find out and thats for it to end up in front of a judge. However, using a non-original document which will easily be prone to fraud/manipulation Im not sure which way the judge would swing.
⚠ 2014 - COUNTDOWN TO INDEPENDENCE ⚠
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CynicalScotsman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 3:03 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to texranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerful_Rogue View Post
Even if the item is faulty?

Do you accept bank statements or other forms of "proof of purchase?" Cant legally see how you can refuse to accept a scanned copy of the receipt if the persons item is faulty and they want an exchange.
if its faulty then card statements are accepted, but a scanned receipt is not an origninal recipt and can be abused, if someone has stolen goods then can keep returning with scanned copies of a receipt with the stolen item for refunds or you can scan a receipt and then using software doctor the receipt to suit your own purpose. If you ask TS /consumer direct you will find that a retailer can refuse scanned copies of receipts
# 25
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 3:29 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i have 2 receipts, 1 marks and spencer and 1 john lewis i can scan both these and using simple image software make the john lewis 1 look like it was from marks and spencer and you would not tell the differnce. this is why scanned recipts are not a valid prove of purchase.
# 26
aldredd
Old 28-12-2011, 3:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You could also do the same to a bank statement
or you could buy yourself a thermal printer and a roll of thermal till paper and create an entire receipt from scratch.
Not accepting scanned receipts isn't going to solve your shrinkage problem.
# 27
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 3:45 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldredd View Post
You could also do the same to a bank statement
or you could buy yourself a thermal printer and a roll of thermal till paper and create an entire receipt from scratch.
Not accepting scanned receipts isn't going to solve your shrinkage problem.
speak to TS /consumer direct and you will find out a scanned receipt is NOT a valid proof or purchase. i have been in retail since 1999 and know SoGA

also if you scan an original bank statement then this will show a watermark, so you cannot do it with a bank statement

Last edited by texranger; 28-12-2011 at 3:48 PM.
# 28
aldredd
Old 28-12-2011, 4:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
i have been in retail since 1999 and know SoGA
You and me both (well, 2000) - it's an irrelevant point.
In fact, whilst I wouldn't normally mention it, I will make an exception today. I happen to work in the HO for one of the biggest retailers in the country / world* - including having worked at store level. Yet I don't use this to claim I know the SOGA inside out.

Quote:
also if you scan an original bank statement then this will show a watermark, so you cannot do it with a bank statement
Except most banks now encourage / force you to have paperless statements, so it would just be a paper printout of an online statement.

Also - I know of at least a couple of retailers where you can order online, but return to store - but your only proof of purchase is the emailed order confirmation which you have to print out - no different really.

*For absolute clarification, I in no way claim to be representing or working on behalf of said company whilst on MSE - purely for personal use.

Last edited by aldredd; 28-12-2011 at 4:17 PM.
# 29
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 4:41 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
You and me both (well, 2000) - it's an irrelevant point.
In fact, whilst I wouldn't normally mention it, I will make an exception today. I happen to work in the HO for one of the biggest retailers in the country / world* - including having worked at store level. Yet I don't use this to claim I know the SOGA inside out.
well i am not an employee i am an employer. i run my own retail stores and yes not many do know SoGA inside out but know the main points.
yes most banks what use to go paperless. but still photocopied/scanned receipts as still not a valid proof of purchase
# 30
halibut2209
Old 28-12-2011, 6:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Do you have a source for that? (Genuine enquiry, not trying to be a smartalec )
One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
# 31
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 6:48 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut2209 View Post
Do you have a source for that? (Genuine enquiry, not trying to be a smartalec )
call TS/consumer direct and they will tell you this
# 32
pimento
Old 28-12-2011, 7:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Slightly different, but Direct Line wouldn't accept a print of the pdf that Tesco Insurance proof of no claim discount just recently. Tesco send all their docs by pdf/email but Direct Line made me contact Tesco and get an old fashioned paper letter sent in an envelope by snail mail and to snail mail it to them. Some guff about it being a legal document.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
# 33
aldredd
Old 28-12-2011, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
Slightly different, but Direct Line wouldn't accept a print of the pdf that Tesco Insurance proof of no claim discount just recently. Tesco send all their docs by pdf/email but Direct Line made me contact Tesco and get an old fashioned paper letter sent in an envelope by snail mail and to snail mail it to them. Some guff about it being a legal document.
In contrast, a colleague of mine was able to validate his no claims by just taking a photo of his renewal document on his phone and emailing it to them!

Such inconsistency just makes things more confusing for the consumer!
The Following User Says Thank You to aldredd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
powerful_Rogue
Old 28-12-2011, 7:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Texranger,

So would you accept a bank statement that I printed out at home if I wanted to exchange a faulty item in one of your shops?
# 35
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 8:27 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Texranger,

So would you accept a bank statement that I printed out at home if I wanted to exchange a faulty item in one of your shops?
yes. but a scanned copy of a till receipt is NOT acceptable as proof of purchase. you will find out many retailers will be the same. this can be conformed by contacting TS /consumer direct.
# 36
powerful_Rogue
Old 28-12-2011, 8:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
yes. but a scanned copy of a till receipt is NOT acceptable as proof of purchase. you will find out many retailers will be the same. this can be conformed by contacting TS /consumer direct.
But the reason you gave regarding the scanned till receipt is that someone could then steal that item and retrun it to the shop presenting the scanned till recipt.

Regarding the bank statement, whats to stop someone purchasing something for 19.99, and then continue to steal various items for 19.99 and bring them back with the bank statement?

Im trying to get my head around why you think a bank statement is acceptable but a scanned till receipt isnt?
The Following User Says Thank You to powerful_Rogue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
texranger
Old 28-12-2011, 8:57 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
But the reason you gave regarding the scanned till receipt is that someone could then steal that item and retrun it to the shop presenting the scanned till recipt.

Regarding the bank statement, whats to stop someone purchasing something for 19.99, and then continue to steal various items for 19.99 and bring them back with the bank statement?

Im trying to get my head around why you think a bank statement is acceptable but a scanned till receipt isnt?
i suggest you speak to TS/consumer direct as it is them that state the scanned recipts are not an acceptable proof of purchase. i have ben in retails for 11 years and i know what is accptable and what is not. it seems that user of MSE are frightened to contact TS/consumer direct
# 38
powerful_Rogue
Old 28-12-2011, 9:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
i suggest you speak to TS/consumer direct as it is them that state the scanned recipts are not an acceptable proof of purchase. i have ben in retails for 11 years and i know what is accptable and what is not. it seems that user of MSE are frightened to contact TS/consumer direct

Im curious, but not curious enough to waste time on the phone!

I thought you may have known.
# 39
wealdroam
Old 28-12-2011, 9:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
So you have been in retail for eleven years and don't yet know why scanned till receipts are not acceptable but scanned bank statements are?

It is for you the retailer to decide what you will and will not accept.

Trading Standards can offer you advice, but the decision is the retailer's, isn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
sweep9
Old 28-12-2011, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Sounds like a sensible system! Out of interest, how do you identify the transaction if they don't have the actual receipt (ie using alternative form of proof) - do you just 'search' for it?
We can search by quite a few different attributes... Item code, Bar code, description, time/date, till, operator, Whole or part credit card number (won't show us any other details of card for security), associated sales ("I bought it with a...")

We've had it for 2 months now and I'm quite impressed! It's not set up to do it yet but it also has the facility of taking a still image off the CCTV system when the person pays and storing it with the transaction!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sweep9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread